Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2002 11:14:01 AM EDT
What are the primary differences between these two rifles?  They look the same to me.  I was told by one guy that the SR9 comes with a match barrel and trigger.  Is that accurate?  Other differences?

Also, if I started to look for an SR9, what is the price range I can expect to find?  I know it will depend on condition, accessories, etc., but give me a range for a reference point.  TIA.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC the SR9 series was the post 89 HK-91 import. They imported three models, 2 of which had thumbhole stocks. The match version was the only one with a pistol grip (PSG-1 style) because of it's 'sporting' purpose. In fact the SR-9 match model was one of the rifles used in the movie sniper.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The SR9s have a polygonal rifled barrel "heavy barrel" according to HK's sales brochure. Personally I wouldn't have even noticed it was heavy or not.  The HK91s have the standard lands and grooves.  OT: the HK22LR conv. kit barrel liner will not even go in a SR9 barrel. Also there is a heavier(litteraly) buffer in the SR9 buttstock. The trigger standard HK91.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The HK911 was the "postban" HK91... imported until around 11/90, I believe.

The SR9 has a polygonal bore, most HK91s do not (even though a few do).

The SR9 has no flash hider or muzzle device of any sort.

The SR9 has a different recoil buffer.

The SR9 has a standard HK91 trigger pack.  I belive the SR9TC came with the PSG1 pack.

Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
as far as looking for one, i just wish you good luck.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#5]
SR-9:
Thumbhole stock, standard HK 91 trigger.

SR-9T:
PSG-1 Pistol Grip, MSG-90 Buttstock, PSG-1 trigger.

SR-9TC:
PSG-1 Pistol Grip, Buttstock and Trigger.

No longer legal to put PSG parts on an SR-9.

A basic SR-9 will generally run about $1500-1700 depending on condition, etc.  To put a pistol grip, etc. on it you would have to add enough US parts to be legal.  HK 91's are $1900 to $2100, SR-9T's about $3000 and SR-9TC's about $3500.

The PSG parts total about $1200 ($400 trigger, $600 buttstock, $200 pistol grip), accounting for some of the price difference (basic vs. T or TC configuration), the fact that it uses all factory parts with a pistol grip accounts for the remainder.

The  "T" and "TC" were stamped on the guns after import, so they don't quite match the SR-9 designation on the gun.  All of the guns ahve the polygonal rifling.

The SR-9 has the MSG-90 buffer in the buttstock, so it supposedly (I never fired mine before trading it for an HK 91) has a lighter felt recoil.

AFARR

PS--HK 91 is pre-ban, normally (except for a few guns in 1976 {I believe} has standard rifling.  Has a flash hider (none of the SR-9's do, or it would be a violation of the '89 import regulations).  

Link Posted: 1/1/2002 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#6]
You could also have someone do a trigger job, which will lower the standard HK91 trigger pull from 10 pounds down to 6-7. I would recommend Williams Trigger Specialties, Alton IL. That way you don't have spend money for a PSG trigger. If you want to use the HK91 light bipod you will also have to get a new forearm, but keep your SR9 forearm, I understand that it is very hard to get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top