Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2002 3:51:10 PM EDT
Looking at a HK SL8-1 .223 ...but can't locate many reviews.

Any experience with these?  And how do they compare with an AR15 like a Rock River A2 16" carbine, Colt or Bushmaster?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I'm not too fond of these rifles.  When they were first announced, I was excited in looking forward to a civilian version of the G36.  When they came out, I was disappointed with the bullshit stock, the bullshit single-stack receiver, and the bullshit color.

For the money, which I've seen over $1100, you could get the equivalent rifle (features-wise) in an AR-15.  PLUS, you can get high-cap mags and a decent trigger.

My suggestion:  Spend the money on a post-ban AR-type rifle and you'll have enough money for improvements, or get a pre-ban AR.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Personally, I'm not too fond of these rifles.  When they were first announced, I was excited in looking forward to a civilian version of the G36.  When they came out, I was disappointed with the bullshit stock, the bullshit single-stack receiver, and the bullshit color.

For the money, which I've seen over $1100, you could get the equivalent rifle (features-wise) in an AR-15.  PLUS, you can get high-cap mags and a decent trigger.

My suggestion:  Spend the money on a post-ban AR-type rifle and you'll have enough money for improvements, or get a pre-ban AR.

I agree
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
My hand doesn't even fit the stock correctly were the thumbhole is.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine fits and functions perfectly for me, and with less recoil than an AR.  I haven't ever shot them side by side with my AR for groupings, but I will as soon as I get both scoped.  I don't mind the 10rd mags, as this is more of a target rifle...which is for slow aimed fire, not blasting away.  If you want a blasting rifle, the SL8 is not the path you should take.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I still say you can get a better target rifle with the AR-series.  Two-state trigger, match barrel, free-float tube, improved sights and optics, et al.  The SL8-1 is not a target gun, just a poor G36-compromise by HK.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#6]
brouhaha,
My comments aren't a personal attack on your choice.  I'm just fighting for the "heart and mind" of HowlingMoose.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#7]
It will be my next purchase... then, I will turn it into a m16 mag using g36 clone.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Their is a right up in Soldier of Fortune magazine.  It shot 1.67-1.90" groups with Wolf .223 @ 55gr.  It has the 1/7" Barrel (at least for the rightup). and was a hair over 20" of barrel length.  But it also shot everything up to 75 gr Match ammo.   It looked pretty decent, but I would like a different stock as well.  I would like for them to Camo the stock or something.  I am still an AR fan after reading the report.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw a review in Soldier of Fortune magazine, I don't remember which issue. I believe it was sometime in 2001.  Contact SOF at www.sofmag.com. If remember correctly I believe the author of the story was Frank James, and he says that it was okay, but other guns could be had for less money.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Saw one, had to have it. Brought it out to shoot. Results: single stack 10rd. mag sucks. Safety location sucks, trigger sucks. Accuracy compared to ar-15's: not worth the money I spent. Verdict: SOLD IT!  
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Fired about 10 rounds through one at a show.  The recoil was next to nothing, but the controls were awkward to reach, and accuracy was nothing special.  I would also worry about the durability of the plastic parts.

For the money I would rather have an M-96.  In fact, I do.  Much better gun by any standard.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#12]
If you want a fun HK get the USC, beter egronomics, beter looking, and in a few months you will be able to get a kit from CAV arms to get it to take grease gun mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top