Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2003 7:27:09 PM EDT
Me want! Does the big bad government let me have it?

Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.  This is the closest you can get to it, before (top) after (bottom):

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#2]
what makes that any diff from other gun?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#3]
How would the M-16A4 compare to the G-36? Reliablity, accuracy, durability, etc. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
what makes that any diff from other gun?

They are made in a foriegn country. Semi-Automatic rifles have to have so many US parts in them to be legal. Thats why FAL kits are so popular and everyone is always talking about "parts counts". IIRC you need 10 US parts in a rifle with a forged reciever.

If HK ever put a plant in the US and made some of the parts we could have real semi-auto, post ban compliant G36s but HK isnt real big on the civilian market.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
HK is under new ownership and is building a plant in the US soon, probably in Virginia.  There has been SPECULATION ONLY that they could build a semi-auto G36 if the AW ban went away next year.  There are many other reasons to build a plant here aside from selling guns to civilians, but we can always hope.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#6]
That would kick ass.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I talked to a friend of mine who is still in.  His unit trained with a German unit and they got to test out the G36.  He said it was one of the best rifles he has ever fired in terms of:  balance, reliability, and accuracy.  The one thing he liked is that he fired close to 1000 rounds and the rifle internals were not that dirty.
If the AWB goes away and HK does bring them here, I will get one or two.

edited to add:  I would still choose an AR, I carried it into combat and it did not fail me once, plus I love the M203 :)
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you guys think the G36 would be a better service rifle than say the M16A2,A3, or A4? Why or why not?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I say yes. Hell...It's German. Seems just about everything they make turns to gold.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:14:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm getting one for sure if HK builds a plant in U.S.

But it won't replace my ARs.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't think it would be that much of an improvement to justify a new service rifle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#12]
This seems like a good place to ask a question I was wondering about.  Has anyone heard of the XM8?  I first saw it on this website world.guns.ru/assault/as61-e.htm.  It says that it will go into full production in 2005.  Maybe this is the reason for the U.S. HK plant.  It looks very similar to the G36, but I don't see how it would be any improvement over the M16 or M4.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I say it would be an improvement in reliability, but your right, it will not happen.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#15]
As much as I like my Bushmaster, and the good 'ole USA, the G36 has already proven itself as a more reliable weapons system than the M16/AR series. Geez, a gas piston, what a novel concept. The gas system on the AR is just plain dumb. Who's copied it?....Nobody. The original M-16 made without a chrome lined barrel and chamber? ....Gene Stoner was stoned. Dare I say flimsy mags? A poor extractor design? All weapons have plus and minuses, but without reliability, you have nothing. The AR is a good, but not great, combat rifle. It requires constant maintenance. You just have to give credit, where credit is due.  The G36 is a better weapon. Flame away, my skin is leather
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
As much as I like my Bushmaster, and the good 'ole USA, the G36 has already proven itself as a more reliable weapons system than the M16/AR series. Geez, a gas piston, what a novel concept. The gas system on the AR is just plain dumb. Who's copied it?....Nobody. The original M-16 made without a chrome lined barrel and chamber? ....Gene Stoner was stoned. Dare I say flimsy mags? A poor extractor design? All weapons have plus and minuses, but without reliability, you have nothing. The AR is a good, but not great, combat rifle. It requires constant maintenance. You just have to give credit, where credit is due.  The G36 is a better weapon. Flame away, my skin is leather

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#18]

As I've said before, the HK logo doesn't transform a decent rifle into a "Vorpal Rifle of Killing, +5 verses Commies."  It ain't magic.

-Troy

NERD!

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, the G36 is in Afghanistan with the German Army. The SAS are also using it on a limited basis. So far, both have been very pleased with its performance. I guarantee you will see more widespread use in the coming years. Sounds like the G36 is the leading candidate to replace the SA80 as well- if that ever happens.

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
...it is the CHOICE of many 1st-world countries, and is the CHOICE of the British and Austrailian SAS and the IDF.  But, clearly, none of THOSE guys know anything about weapons.

-Troy

Not theres a big steaming cup of STFU for the M16 bashers...
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#21]
a little OT,

last night my truck died 10 miles into the middle of noware, and i enede up knocking on a highway patrolmans door in hopes of using his phone. we struck up a little conversation when i told him i had been target shooting when my truck wouldnt start. he got his guncase and says "look what i got" and whips out a folded G36. i played with it a little, it has a fantastic feel to it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I've shot them fairly extensively.  The "K" model is more controllable than an M4 imho, better ergos, although the sights could be better.  The optical sight is ok but its difficult to use the red dot sight with both eyes open since the housing is so blocky it basically cuts off all other vision in your dominant eye.  An Aimpoint, EOtech, or Trijicon reflex would be better for up close.  Rate of fire is just right.  Good trigger, great accuracy, and the design keeps itself VERY clean.  When this photo was taken the gun hadn't been cleaned in over 6 months, having gone through routine SWAT training every couple of weeks (at least 200 rounds per session) plus being a fun time gun.  The action was dirty but not as dirty as my roller-locked G3 gets after only 100 rounds.  At this stage this particular G36 has been running dry, with no oil or anything, for several months, and of course it ran flawlessly on full auto all day for me.

Shooting is believing, don't knock it till you've tried it.

Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
As I've said before, the HK logo doesn't transform a decent rifle into a "Vorpal Rifle of Killing, +5 verses Commies."  It ain't magic.-Troy

I thought it was the +5 ammo of infinate fragmentation in the adimantite jacket that did the trick ;^)

The H&K logo, much like the BMW roundel deflates the value of my spending dollar exponentially. The G36 is in much the same position that the M-16 was in in the early 1960's. It has amazing potential once the bugs are worked out.

Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#25]
HI DENNY,

Long time, Bud. Still have that 36K i bought off of you, "it one of the favorites" of the guns i rent. I also picked up a 36C, OH MY GOD, I love shooting it, She's a little spit fire with a C- MAG,

Heres what you're old K looks like now.

Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#26]

The gas system on the AR is just plain dumb. Who's copied it?

Ok here goes. The direct gas impengment system is also used on Swedeish Ljungman Rifles, Hakim's, and Mas 49/56s. All particulary accurate BECAUSE of the crappy gas system. The only reason these rifles arent still in use is because they were designed more like Garands than M16s (i.e. very heavy).

I was late on the response so I'll just shut-up now...

Nice Pics Duke Nukem.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I think the "XM8 Lightweight Assault Rifle" (A G36 Derivative), which is part of XM29-OICW will be available in the future.  I'd rather buy an American made one anyway.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/xm8draw.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top