Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2004 12:02:25 PM EDT
Anyone have some literature/links on this rifle? I have been hearing about it here and there in other threads but missed or haven't picked up any links to read about it and how it's different from a regular AR. I know it's got something to do with piston instead of gas, but I don't understand how... I need a cutaway to understand I guess.
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]
We got to play with the HK M16's at the Shot Show.
just AWESOME :p

Link Posted: 4/7/2004 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd pay good money if there were someone out there who could remark an AR lower like the HK picto style in those pictures.
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
More pics of the HK M16's

Link Posted: 4/7/2004 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Heres pics of the PISTOL and the PUSH ROD on the HK AR15/M16's.

Link Posted: 4/7/2004 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#6]
That's interesting. How is the bolt & carrier different than one from a gas operated system?

So there is NO gas tube, or does the gas operate the piston which then moves the bolt carrier so that no gas actually enters the upper receiver area (the bore or chamber?)

I would think that if H&K is just now deciding to make their own version of after what... 50 years? My guess is they are doing it because they 1.) See a large civilian market for them in the states and 2.)Because they are banking on the success of it simply because of their reputation for producing what a lot of people consider to be a top quality firearm. If they're doing it to contract just to the US military then why didn't they do this within the last five decades... why wait until the US is trying to phase that rifle out?

[edit]search.yahoo.com/search?p=hkm4&ei=UTF-8&fr=my_top&n=100&fl=1&vl=lang_en&x=wrt&all=0

Thanks for posting those pics... they are awesome. Where was this Shot Show and when is the next one... and who is going to get me in?
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I just noticed they put those damned HK iron sights on it... I hate those friggin things.
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Funny, I was just about to say I dont really care if I can get the upper or not, but I want the rear turret sight and the diopter front sight
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you prefer that type sight over the AR A2 front and rear? I probably don't like it much because I was never properly trained on it and kind of had to figure it out on my own... compared to 10 years of constant training on the AR sights... so I'm a little biased. I would be surprised if they kept those on there if they are going to be in the hand of US soldiers though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2004 12:13:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I was just thinking about how sexy those sights look... might consider them if the price is right.

Sorry for the hijack.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 4/11/2004 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I was just thinking about how sexy those sights look...

I'm the same way.  At first I really hated my HK sights and then started shooting a few hundred rds figuring them out along the way.  Now I like the darn things.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#12]
You know, now that I look again at the rifles, the c ustom sights, the custom forearm on the semi auto model -- what the heck is with the $2.00 pistol grip?  I'd have thought they'd have had some nice ergo grip that looked like the grip on the MP5
Link Posted: 4/24/2004 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#13]
It's those H&K m-16 magazines I want.  That 100 rounder of theirs too!  Come the ban, I'm spending some bucks on those magazines!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm new to this site and I love it already, full of great info. I was just wondering if you guess had seen info about the "XM8" system by HK, it may replace the current M4's and M16's.

http://www.hk-usa.com/pages/military-le/rifles-carbines/xm8.html

There are also videos if you want to see it in action.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#15]
The bolt and carrier differ in two ways from the M16.  First, the gooseneck thingy on top of the carrier is solid.  It must be because that is where the piston impacts.  Second, there are no gas check rings around the bolt.  The bolt moves VERY freely in the carrier as a result.

HK did intend these to be sold to the public, but that may have changed.  They are paranoid about litigation.  The ones they had at the NRA show were semi-auto only.  Not only were the lowers semi, but bolt carrier was an AR15 profile so as to not be able to trip a sear.  It was not an open end though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#16]
If the rumors about a new LMT MRP piston upper hold true, then the issue of availability w/ regards to the HKM$ may become irrelevant.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:35:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Larry, what kind of funky sling are you wearing?  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Are you talking about our name bage holder???????????????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top