Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2003 6:25:32 AM EDT
Ok so now I finally got my hands on one,other than replacing the barrel with one from an MP5/N..what next?? Keeping in mind that full auto is not allowed nor are suppressors. here As well anyplace that I could get a good price on a KAC RAS for it??

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I, too, have a 94 (with A2 and A3 stocks)...I wound up buying one of the E&L Manufacturing SD shrouds for it, from here: www.brasscatchers.com/acc.htm.

It's plastic. It looks pretty good with it on (you won't be able to use a sling while it's on)...but, since it's plastic...

I put 300 rounds through my 94 fairly rapidly, and the barrel shroud, the end of it by the barrel opening, started to melt. Taking it off led to one stringer of melted plastic coming off and sticking on the barrel (easily pried off later)...

It looks really nice (Especially if you scuff it up a bit with some really fine sandpaper and spraypaint it flat black), but I wouldn't shoot it with it on, at least, not in volume.

I've growned used to the ventilated shroud look on mine; it takes some getting used to, but it grows on ya.

One thing I've been looking at doing is buying a gutted supressor and sleeving that over the barrel. I would rather keep the 16" (quieter, better muzzle velocity) with a fake supressor sleeved over it and pinned to it, than put on a 5" MP5 barrel with a fake supressor welded onto it.

I've yet to find anyplace anywhere that sells a KAC RAS for cheap I'd love to put an Aimpoint or some other red-dot sight on it, but I'm still looking for an optimal way to mount it...
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:48:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I had the plastic SD shroud as well and had a similar experience. Purely cosmetic and not worth buy IMHO if you actually shoot your 94.

I end up picking up a solid barrel shroud from E&L and put the original factory ventilated one in storage.

It looks good (no more skinny barrel) and it's holding up fine after 3000+ rounds.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:53:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input guys,chances are I'll just wind up replacing the barrel alltogether but that solid sleeve does look pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had the plastic SD shroud as well and had a similar experience. Purely cosmetic and not worth buy IMHO if you actually shoot your 94.

I end up picking up a solid barrel shroud from E&L and put the original factory ventilated one in storage.

It looks good (no more skinny barrel) and it's holding up fine after 3000+ rounds.

Ohhh nice. They didn't have any photos of the solid shroud at all, that was why I never purchased one. Since it looks very close to a can, I'll pick one up...I'd rather have something a little fatter to be honest (so it looks like a serious can ) but that one looks really good.

Thanks for posting the photo!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Matt_B,

Nice H&K. Can you tell me how you did the lower. And where did you get the scope mount.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:57:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Matt_B,

Nice H&K. Can you tell me how you did the lower. And where did you get the scope mount.

I bought the lower from "widz77" (aka Gary W) off of the HK Pro.com boards. He has a guy would does the clipping and pinning so it looks like it has the push pin attachment. I also bought a pistol grip cleaning kit off of "GM" (Gordon Miller from the boards as well) which I chopped up so I would stash a couple spare lithium AA's for the 552.

The mount is a B&T #21262 that I bought from B.L. Farley at Outdoor Specialties.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I was wondering if you fellas could help me out-

I have an interest in a 9mm subgun for the winter months at the range.  I was considering building up a COlt style AR15 in 9mm, but figure if I am spending the $, I might as well go for looks too!

I am really taken by the HK94, but need a few questions answered...pardon me if these are FNG questions, but I would rather get some input from guys who use them instead of crusing the web aimlessly and hoping to get good info!

Is it better to get a fully-assembled one, or get a receiver and a parts kit?  Any manufacturers you can recommend?  Which is better, plastic lower or metal?  Do you recommend a paddle release in addition to the push-button?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.  What sources are there for replacement parts should your HK94 go belly up?
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was wondering if you fellas could help me out-

I have an interest in a 9mm subgun for the winter months at the range.  I was considering building up a COlt style AR15 in 9mm, but figure if I am spending the $, I might as well go for looks too!

The primary reason I bought mine - for carbine shooting indoors during winter. Plus, it's a really well made firearm. I had considering a 9mm AR but they seemed like more hassle than their worth. I've put over 3K rounds through my 94 and only had 3 FTF with some Federal Winclean type ammo.

Is it better to get a fully-assembled one, or get a receiver and a parts kit?  Any manufacturers you can recommend?  Which is better, plastic lower or metal?  Do you recommend a paddle release in addition to the push-button?

Investment Grade Firearms (just do a search for them on Google) has been getting some rave reviews on the HK Pro forums but I have never seen one in person. Personally, I would rather buy a pre-assembled weapon from someone who has experience. Better safe than sorry but YMMV.

The reasons I bought a real HK-94 were because:
- I wanted a preban so I could have the collapsible stock.
- I wanted a genuine HK for it's reputation of reliability.
- If nothing else, it will increase in value.

HK-94's came from the factory with metal lowers (the old style "0-1" with contoured grip). The newer style Navy grip (like the one on my 94) are pretty darn rugged and easy to take apart and clean.

I highly recommend getting a paddle mag release installed. The button is a PITA. A genuine HK paddle release installed will run around $200-$250 and you will have to wait a while (months) to get a qualified HK smith to do the work (there aren't that many of them around). I bought a www.taclatch.com]Tac Latch II/url] instead. It took about 5-10 mins. to install and works great.

P.S.  What sources are there for replacement parts should your HK94 go belly up?

I bought a bunch of spare parts from Gordon Miller [email protected] a little while ago. You can also get parts through www.hkpartsonline.com]SPC/HK store/url] as well. I just bought some extended floor plates (for USP-9 mags) and a couple of Variant 5/6 detent plates through them and their service was excellent.

I basically bought little parts (extractor spring, buffer pad, firing pin) that would probably wear out first. BTW, compared to AR parts, HK parts are really expensive. I don't see a time in the forseeable future where parts are going to be hard to get.

Also, be forewarned that mags aren't cheap especially if you're like me and want to have a lot of mags. Genuine factory HK 30 rnd MP-5 mags are around $75-$100 each. You can also get good quality contract (POF) mags for around $40 (in packs of 8). I ran into someone on the HK Pro boards who sold me a pile of pre-ban Turkish contract mags for $55 each and they've all worked out well so far. I also picked up a couple of 15 rounders (same price or more than the 30 rnd mags since they're harder to come by) for shooting the 94 off a bench when I need to zero it.

BTW, I don't normally shoot my 94 with the M900A. I just use the ol' standard KAC vertical foregrip with a ranger band.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Matt, you have been a world of help!!!  

I have been waiting around for the whole Colt w/sten mag deal but am getting impatient, and to be honest the 9mm Colts look a bit "Frankenstienish" to me.  Besides, I have a lead on a good deal for an HK94.

On last question- how do the ergonomics compare to the M16?  I have no access to an HK94 within a reasonable distance (yeah, going into this thing blind) but I can get a fantastic deal on one from a guy who will build it up for me- if I hurry up and make my mind.  how is trigger pull, stock length, etc.?  I find the M16 very comfortable, even though the pinned collapsible stock may be a touch long...how does the HK94 compare?

I am aware of the $$$ of everything- but I figure if I am already going in close to $1k for a 9mm and accessories, I might as well get something REALLY cool and spend the couple of extra bucks....

Once again, thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it!

Link Posted: 7/5/2003 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks Matt, you have been a world of help!!!  

No problem.

I have been waiting around for the whole Colt w/sten mag deal but am getting impatient, and to be honest the 9mm Colts look a bit "Frankenstienish" to me.  Besides, I have a lead on a good deal for an HK94.

I agree on the "Frankenstein" comparison. I thought about getting an AR in .45 but I just can't get over the "Mickey Mouse" factor of having to use a mag block of some sort.

On last question- how do the ergonomics compare to the M16?  I have no access to an HK94 within a reasonable distance (yeah, going into this thing blind) but I can get a fantastic deal on one from a guy who will build it up for me- if I hurry up and make my mind.  how is trigger pull, stock length, etc.?  I find the M16 very comfortable, even though the pinned collapsible stock may be a touch long...how does the HK94 compare?

The 94 is a comfortable gun. It's actually a bit heavier (don't know exactly how much) than my AR because there's more steel in it.  

The LOP on my 94 (with the A3 stock) is about an inch shorter than my AR (with an A2 stock).

I really can't comment on the triggers because I've got a Jewell trigger in my AR which has almost zero creep. Also, I had the triggers in both my HK-94 lowers worked on by Williams Trigger Specialties. I had them do the Standard trigger job which brought the pull weight down to 4.25 lbs on each one. I highly recommend sending your "soon to be" trigger pack to Williams. A lot of HK owners have done it and love them. WTS will turn it around in about 10 days.

I am aware of the $$$ of everything- but I figure if I am already going in close to $1k for a 9mm and accessories, I might as well get something REALLY cool and spend the couple of extra bucks....

I agree. I don't regret getting the 94 for a second. It's a incredibly accurate and reliable weapon. I love German engineering
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Aargh, decisions, decisions.

I noticed you are in Illinois- you don't happen to live in northern IL and shoot out at GAT guns in Dundee or Megasports in Plainfield, do you?  I don't think I have ever actually seen anyone with a subgun out here in the 'burbs!
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Aargh, decisions, decisions.

I noticed you are in Illinois- you don't happen to live in northern IL and shoot out at GAT guns in Dundee or Megasports in Plainfield, do you?  I don't think I have ever actually seen anyone with a subgun out here in the 'burbs!

No, I'm afraid I don't. I live in central IL and go shooting up in Bloomington at Darnall's range.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Matt,

How/where did you get that trigger pack. I've wanted one, but my local dealer has said that they are FA-convertible, so are illegal to purchase. My SEF pack is nice, but I'd prefer the ambidextrous selector of the new packs like you've got.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:19:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Matt,

How/where did you get that trigger pack. I've wanted one, but my local dealer has said that they are FA-convertible, so are illegal to purchase. My SEF pack is nice, but I'd prefer the ambidextrous selector of the new packs like you've got.

Check out my second post on this thread for where to get the FBI lower.

Your dealer is incorrect. The FBI lower is no more easy to convert to full auto than the SEF lower. I don't know why your dealer would say that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top