Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2007 11:35:56 AM EDT
My apologies if this is not the correct forum...

I purchased a used HK91 clone at a gunshow and it has given me nothing but problems. No one in my area ( SE Wisconsin ) seems to be familiar with these weapons, even had it to a gunsmith who said he fixed it but didn't.

My issues started when I fired it the first time. It fired one round and then didn't work. The charging handle was "flopping" back and forth freely but would not cycle the action. Took it to a gunsmith, said he fixed it. But know the charging handle hangs up. When I first pulled it pack, it cycled about 75% of the way. Now it goes back about 1/2" and stops, won't go any farther.

I paid too much money to just give up on this thing but I am extrordinarily frustrated right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Which clone is it?  Who is the maker of the rifle?  Give us some specifics.  ARKAR
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds like its really tight.  I had one like this and had to hand cycle the action a couple hundred times to get it smooth.  Took some oil and sometimes hard smacks of the buttstock to the ground to get the carrier to move freely.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Which clone is it?  Who is the maker of the rifle?  Give us some specifics.  ARKAR

+1.  Need more info.  You weren't using .308 hunting type ammo were you?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's a CETME clone (selector is up for fire), then you need to put the selector on fire in order to pull the charging handle back...
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:

The only ID I can find on it is on the receiver.... C91 Sporter
                                                                   Century Arms

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

+1.  Need more info.  You weren't using .308 hunting type ammo were you?

No, I was using some military surplus FMJs
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
If it's a CETME clone (selector is up for fire), then you need to put the selector on fire in order to pull the charging handle back...

I checked .... selector up is "safe"

To all who replied, I really appreciate your time in helping me work this out. My apologies for the lack of info and the dumb questions. I'm just not too familiar with this weapon right now. I seriously appreciate all the help so far.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#8]
If it's a Century G3 clone it probably has a fair amount of paint overspray inside the reciever.  Sounds like the cocking handle spring broke and your smith buggered up the cocking handle to cocking handle support mating surfaces.  The spring is a pain to replace and I had a similar problem with mine a few years ago.  I wound up taking the gun apart and cleaning the inside of the reciever with WD-40 and a scotch brite pad to remove all of the overspray.  Then I cleaned up the cocking handle and fixed the mating surfaces involved with the cocking handle so that there weren't any burrs.  

Not sure if your having the same issues I did but maybe this helps.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
If it's a Century G3 clone it probably has a fair amount of paint overspray inside the reciever.  Sounds like the cocking handle spring broke and your smith buggered up the cocking handle to cocking handle support mating surfaces.  The spring is a pain to replace and I had a similar problem with mine a few years ago.  I wound up taking the gun apart and cleaning the inside of the reciever with WD-40 and a scotch brite pad to remove all of the overspray.  Then I cleaned up the cocking handle and fixed the mating surfaces involved with the cocking handle so that there weren't any burrs.  

Not sure if your having the same issues I did but maybe this helps.  

I'll check it out...thanks
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it one of the century cast receivers? If it is try and trade it for something, anything. I had one at one time and couldn't get it to work and never did get it to work for more that 1/2 a mag at a time. If it is one of the stamped ones they are hit and miss getting them to function  reliably.

Did you get it from a private party? If not maybe the dealer would take it back?
That sucks when you realize that you paid to much for something Thats what happened when I got my century I paid way to much for it, I was lucky and the dealer took it back. Now I have a HK 91 and of course its 100% If you do end up unloading the century CDNN has PTR 91s on sale for around 900.00 and they are a good copy of the 91. Good luck  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#11]
You could always contact Century and send it back to them to fix.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
Is it one of the century cast receivers? If it is try and trade it for something, anything. I had one at one time and couldn't get it to work and never did get it to work for more that 1/2 a mag at a time. If it is one of the stamped ones they are hit and miss getting them to function  reliably.

Did you get it from a private party? If not maybe the dealer would take it back?
That sucks when you realize that you paid to much for somethinghats  

It's a stamped one. I bought it from a private party. I called him when it stopped working. His answer was " it worked when I sold it to you so it isn't my problem. Don't call me again."

Thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
You could always contact Century and send it back to them to fix.

Always an option....I was just trying to see what I can do on my own ( safely ) before I pack it up and ship it out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top