Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2004 6:35:08 PM EDT
What kind of accuracy can be expected from HK91s and other G3 clones?  How do they stack up against other .308 autoloaders?

If buying a clone, which is the best builder in terms of quality?

Would the TA11 with .308 reticle be a good optic for a HK91/G3 clone?
Link Posted: 4/1/2004 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 4/2/2004 6:24:04 AM EDT
[#2]
2 to 2.5" groups fo 5 rested at 100yds on Port, SA or Aussie
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I am going to follow this one, but I can tell you my experience with a late model Springfield SUCKED.  I have an M1A and it runs like a top, but from the start I was disappointed with the SAR-8.  Welds looked crappy, the slot for the bolt release was all beat up and everything just looked cheap.  I should have refused to accept it, but had a friend order it and didn't want to put him on the spot.

Well, it was a JAM-O-MATIC.  Every 2nd rd or more often.  FTE.  It would stick so bad, and there was no way to remove the shell other than to hammer on the action.  TERRIBLE.

I have since heard several stories of Springfield replacing the guns with new M1A's as they knew it was a problem.  

Anyhow, I can't complain too much as I swapped up (a preban polytech underfolder that I sold for 1500 bucks), but don't get a late model SAR-8.  I have heard the early models were excellent guns.

I still want an H&K or appropriate clone, so am wanting to see the opinions on this.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/15/2004 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no direct experience, but I can pass along what I've learned in the clone world.

Century 91 clones--hit or miss.  Likely to spend some money having your favorite gunsmith rebuild it.  New stainless steel receivers are supposed to be an improvement.  Almost bought one as a project gun.  ~$500, give or take 50

JLD PTR series--supposed to be really good.  especially since they rechambered them to better handle surplus ammo.  Like to buy one, but I don't have anything that shoots .308 right now.  the PTR91A1 is a sharp looking rifle--upgraded over the stock PTR91.  ~$700, sometimes $800

I suspect Todd at ORF makes a good one, but they're listed as out of stock on his site.

SW made a SW3 a while ago.  I know little about it, but I fully suspect it suffers from the common SW bugs.

SA's imported SAR-8s tend to get returned to SA for a replacement with a M1A.  Some folks like them, some hate them.  YMMV.
-------
If you don't want to mess with a gunsmith project or a kitgun, the PTR is probably the best bet.  Then again, I know ARs and AKs better as that's what I collect, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 4/15/2004 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Follow up on the PTRs with some linkage...

PTR-91

PTR-91A1
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have no direct experience, but I can pass along what I've learned in the clone world.

SA's imported SAR-8s tend to get returned to SA for a replacement with a M1A.  Some folks like them, some hate them.  YMMV.

It's not the imported SAR-8's that get returned, it's the ones that are made with the ugly aluminium receiver with the built-in Weaver rail.

Springfield imported Greek-made HK-91's under the name SAR-3 prior to the 89 import ban; after the ban they imported them under the name SAR-8 sans flash hider and with a thumbhole stock.

These rifles were made on HK equipment and are as good as the german (HK) or Portuguese (FMP) guns.  

SA later introduced the US-Made SAR-8 with the funky aluminium receiver; they're pretty crappy and are the ones that SA "may" replace with an M1A if you return it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2004 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not the imported SAR-8's that get returned, it's the ones that are made with the ugly aluminium receiver with the built-in Weaver rail.

Springfield imported Greek-made HK-91's under the name SAR-3 prior to the 89 import ban; after the ban they imported them under the name SAR-8 sans flash hider and with a thumbhole stock.

These rifles were made on HK equipment and are as good as the german (HK) or Portuguese (FMP) guns.  

SA later introduced the US-Made SAR-8 with the funky aluminium receiver; they're pretty crappy and are the ones that SA "may" replace with an M1A if you return it.

Thanks for the correction, DavidC.  Sometimes I talk out my ass!I always hear bad things about aluminum receivers in .308s.  I think Entréprise sold/sells one for a FAL that is bad news.  DSA built some aluminum FAL receivers and tested them and discovered they have a penchant for cracking, bending and doing other unhealthy things (i.e. blowing apart) on high pressure/proof loads.  They never sold one and advise against doing it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#8]
My experience with the Century clones is they all need some massaging, but after that, Just like RS39 I get around 2 inches.  Incidentally, this is no better than I used to get with my SAR3 (springfield) and only about .5 inch better than my 91.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#9]
i have a century g3 clone and ive had nothing but good times with it.but like some of the others ive heard its hit or miss w/century guns.mine shoots surplus ammo around 2inches at 100yrds and if you want to spend the money i bought some hornady custom that shoots right at an inch at 100yrds but its expensive.i use it only for deer season.but its purty good for a surplus gun i think.Bently
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Ultimate build:  Buy a G3 kit from POF, a FMP receiver, and enough US parts (trigger, sear, hammer, disconnector, etc...).

Send it all to Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms.  Your rifle will be as good as any HK that ever was built in Germany.  For about $1200.  He is also doing a PSG-1 build that looks SWEEET.

Century guns are a crap shoot, I have a CETME that I absolutly love, but good luck finding a good one.  Stick with stamped steel recievers.  I passed a deal on a real 91 the other day, $1995.  I could have one built for a lot less, and in Sept. (please) I can have the slider stock and flash hider too.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a Century G3 that does 2" @ 100 yards with SA ammo. Never had a jam with it. Couldn't go wrong for only $450.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top