Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 2:08:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 11:43:49 AM EDT by GuitarsNGunz]
Okay I bought one of the SDI Aug A3's a couple of weeks ago and have since also gotten one of the NATO stocks from CDNN that accepts AR magazines.  It was my understanding some minor fitting was required and I figured out one part of it almost immediately.  The hump on top of the stock where the receiver meets the stock.  So i took a file and spent some time filing that down JUST enough to clear the top rail.  So after lots of elbow grease i managed to slide the receiver into the stock but PROBLEM, the receiver stops sliding into the stock about an 1/8th of an inch or so from being all the way in and it WONT BUDGE.  If you try to force it you have to take a rubber mallet to bang the receiver out of the stock again.  I called Pete at PJ's investments and told him what I was experiencing and he recommended trying to file down the "nipple" on the bottom of the stock by the triggerguard and next to the channel.  I saw there was a slight difference between the nipple on the NATO stock and my SABRE stock so i filed it down till it looked about even with my sabre stock.  I try to slide the receiver back in and still a NO-GO about an 1/8th of an inch away from the very back.  Needless to say im extremely frustrated as I cant figure out whats holding it up.  I  took some pics of the clearance issue.

If anybody has already done this with success or encountered the same problem please post here and give me some advice or a solution to the problem.  Just to make sure there is no confusion this is a new Sabre made AUG A3 and not an original AUG.  

Thank you to everybody in advance as i'm just itching to get this set up with AR mags!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:52:47 PM EDT
I will think about this for a while.

The AXR uses a Nato stock try looking at these pics comparing the two recievers to see if there is something on the reciever causing the problem.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=278246
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:55:00 PM EDT
I've still got my A3 and just the reciever for my AXR.  If there are any measurements I could take or questions I could answer I would be glad to help.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:56:47 PM EDT
It is more than likely hitting some plastic on the inside of the stock at the front of the ejection port or ports.

I filed this off and got my TPD receiver to seat fully into a Steyr Stock but the BCG won't move freely and I haven't tackled that problem yet. I think I might just send it to TPD and see how much they would charge me to fit the stock to my receiver.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:07:03 PM EDT
When you bought the CDNN stock did you get the package that came with the NATO trigger pack? In other words,are you using the Nato trigger pack or the original one that came with the rifle?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:37:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Gris7:
When you bought the CDNN stock did you get the package that came with the NATO trigger pack? In other words,are you using the Nato trigger pack or the original one that came with the rifle?

The Nato and Standard Stock trigger pack are not interchangeable. I bought the standard trigger pack with the Steyr stock.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:06:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Swat_dude:

The Nato and Standard Stock trigger pack are not interchangeable. I bought the standard trigger pack with the Steyr stock.

I thought the only diff. was the last round hold open.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:24:20 AM EDT
I think I would try applying some "White-out" (typing correction stuff) or white latex paint (easy to clean off) to various parts of the receiver that I think could be causing the interference. It will transfer to the part of the stock that is holding it up and you can grind a little, clean the area then do it again until you get a complete fit. It is like inletting a barrelled action into a wood stock. Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:46:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 6:49:57 AM EDT by GuitarsNGunz]
Hey guys-

Yes I bought the complete conversion kit w/ NATO trigger pack.  Pete from PJ's Investments has been helping me troubleshoot this so hopefully it'll work out eventually.  It just kills me how another 1/8th of an inch and i;d be in business.  GAHH! lol

EDIT: Pete just emailed me saying if I wanted to cover shipping I could send the stock to him and he'd fit it for me for free.  I am blown away at that generosity!  A Big +1 for Pete and PJ's Investments!
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:09:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:
Originally Posted By Swat_dude:

I thought the only diff. was the last round hold open.

It is, but don't you want that feature?

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:54:14 AM EDT
You may have already checked this, but make sure that the takedown catch is all of the way out and disengaged.   If it is out most of the way, I've had the receiver hit as in your photo preventing assembly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:00:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 9:01:25 AM EDT by 0352]
Does the NATO stock have a last round bolt hold open feature with a bolt release??  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:42:26 AM EDT
UPDATE:

I decided to take a deep breath and take another look at the stock.  I decided to attempt to file down just a bit more of the top "hump" on the stock to see if it would make any difference.  Well i'll be damned if it didnt just need another couple of minutes of filing.  It fits and the receiver locking pin seats just fine now.  I did a function check and the gun cycled rounds in and out of the chamber with a Magpul PMAG and an HK 30-rounder as well.  Thanks to everybody for the input and thanks to Pete for the offer to fit the stock which thankfully I wont have to bother him with now.  Now to go to the range again...
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:03:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GuitarsNGunz:
UPDATE:

I decided to take a deep breath and take another look at the stock.  I decided to attempt to file down just a bit more of the top "hump" on the stock to see if it would make any difference.  Well i'll be damned if it didnt just need another couple of minutes of filing.  It fits and the receiver locking pin seats just fine now.  I did a function check and the gun cycled rounds in and out of the chamber with a Magpul PMAG and an HK 30-rounder as well.  Thanks to everybody for the input and thanks to Pete for the offer to fit the stock which thankfully I wont have to bother him with now.  Now to go to the range again...

You're a braver man than I am. Congrats and enjoy your rifle now.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:07:59 PM EDT
UPDATE:

That was my initial thought.  The A3 hump is completely ground down.

Now get out and shoot some rounds through it with different AR mags and post pics.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:00:44 PM EDT
UPDATE:

Even though you got it figured out, be sure to send Pete at Pj's a thank you email for offering to help.

Sometimes you just gotta step back fora  little while and take things in.  Congrats on the rifle and the stock, and go out to the range and enjoy it!  
Top Top