Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/17/2005 8:57:15 PM EDT
I really really need to get my guns under lock. Didn't know where else to post this so I thought you guys could help. What is a good safe between 500-1500 bucks. It doesn't have to hold more than 10 rifles, but I would like a little room for ammo and what not...

what are some features I shouldn't live without?

Please only list SAFES, not security cabinets.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:30:22 PM EDT
There are a ton of safes that meet you requirements.

I have a Sentry 10 long gun safe, large manual tumbler and locks in 6 places with a 11/4 bolts that works well for me and weighs about 200 lbs. I bought for @200 on special about 6 months ago. They have many different sizes.

I would suggest you consider where you will put it and how you can get it to the spot. This may help you from choosing a too big or heavy for the space or how you would get there. Look at stores that sell guns and they will have several to choose from.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:36:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:30:34 AM EDT
Any "Fire Rated" safe that is at least 600 lbs. EMPTY will do the job. "Fire Rated" for obvious reasons and the weight to make it difficult to move quickly or by one person. IMO, there is not that much difference between the major safe makers. Stick with one of the major brands and you'll be fine. For added protection, the safe can be attacked to the floor/wall and most come with mounting/securing hardware, mine did (Browning).

Browning
Remington
Fort Knox
Champion
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:39:19 PM EDT
Liberty
Cannon
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:01:27 PM EDT
If you get a HEAVY safe, get one that comes in 4 - pieces, You can move it yourself and if you move a couple times, you will be glad you have one. Also, good idea to BOLT it to wall and , or floor .
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:17:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Srigs:
There are a ton of safes that meet you requirements.

I have a Sentry 10 long gun safe, large manual tumbler and locks in 6 places with a 11/4 bolts that works well for me and weighs about 200 lbs. I bought for @200 on special about 6 months ago. They have many different sizes.

I would suggest you consider where you will put it and how you can get it to the spot. This may help you from choosing a too big or heavy for the space or how you would get there. Look at stores that sell guns and they will have several to choose from.

I have the same. It's really between a cabinet and a full fire proof safe. It is much more secure than a locking cabinet, but not as fire resistant as a safe. I like mine, buit look forward to a bigger safe- at least 20 long guns.
Try looking at Academy and Wally World. They have decent prices and good sales on safes occaisionally. Get a fire safe if you can find one you can afford. Cannon, Remington, any of the big safe names will do.
Jim
Top Top