Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/4/2006 4:47:57 PM EDT
Ok, this is for general information. Please correct me where I am wrong.

The way I understand it: 'Glass Bedding' is really another term for an epoxy resin that is used to 'cement' an action to a stock. The purpose of this is to prevent any gaps or loose fit that would cause a vibration and there for a decrease in accuracy. The barrel is/is not ever glass bedded where it meets the action? (the part that contains the chamber)

Please educate.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:40:01 PM EDT
Close. Bedding is actually a process of matching the rifle receiver/action to the stock, such that the receiver/action is ALWAYS in the same position in the stock from shot to shot. Various tools are used to free float the barrel and bed the receiver/action to minimize stresses that are introduced into the rifle system by the unbedded and unmatched components. Stress reduction generally results in a decrease in group size from shot to shot. This improved accuracy allows the rifleman to predict where his shot will impact for a given shooting situation.

Hope this helps. Charles the Gunsmith.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:26:49 PM EDT
Also, you can bed just an action and then "free float" the barrel so that no portion of the stock touches it....OR you can fully line bed the action where the barrel and the action are skin fitted to the stock. I have done this on small caliber rifles with "International" style stocks. They shot VERY WELL. The key is very slow, evenly paced fire.

The normal method( and best IMO), however, is to bed the action and float the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:34:51 PM EDT
No cementing of the action to the stock, the receiver parts are coated with a release agent for the initial bedding mating process until the epoxy has set up and dried. This allows the action to be pulled out of the stock if/when needed.

Yes on the barrel not touching the stock, exempt barrels that either require a tensioning block, or tension push or pull, such as the M-14, the garands, or very thin barrels that do not do well completly free floated.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:48:18 PM EDT
May guns do well with the first 2" bedded and the rest free floated. This takes tension off the receiver especially in guns with long, heavy barrels (26" bull barreal, etc.)
Top Top