Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2002 6:25:56 AM EDT
I read this and couldnt beleive it, makes me rethink going to see this re-released "improved" version of ET. This article says that Speilberg has taken the guns out of the federal agents hands and replaced them with walkie-talkies. Guess the Feds have been demoted to mall-cop status in the "updated" movie. Spread the word

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,48409,00.html
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I heard that he changed it for that bitch Drew Barrymore.  Either way, I'm not going to see it.  I hate when they go back and touch up movies.  Not to mention, I hate PC BullSh*t like this.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2002 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#2]
well I'm a little tired of all these remakes anyways...
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe it was Drew Barrymore who refused to do  the movie if the any of Charlie's angels used guns. They movie rated very high on my gay scale anyways
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't believe this crap. I was kinda looking forward to seeing ET as its been forever since I last saw it, but now after hearing this PC crap I won't waste my time or money. So much for getting the DVD when its released also. What's next for Spielberg - editing out the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indy shoots the sword wielding bad guy. What has happened to our once great country. I am sick of all this PC crap.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I believe it was Drew Barrymore who refused to do  the movie if the any of Charlie's angels used guns. They movie rated very high on my gay scale anyways

I guess there is no accounting for bad taste.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I would shoot the little ET in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw a recent interview with Spielberg. He essentially said that he wished he had made the movie without guns in the first place because they had no place being in a children's movie.

Granted it's a fantasy movie but doesn't the idea of unarmed FBI agents (or whatever agents they were supposed to be) aside from being unrealistic, remove the whole menace factor that makes the kids run from them in the first place? Not only is it unflinchingly PC, revisionist, and unrealistic, it's also bad storytelling.

As far as the whole, "I won't be in a movie with guns," nonsense, I hope that kids who watch such drivel don't grow up thinking that a few well placed (and physically impossible without wirework special effects) kicks will disarm a host of badguys with full-auto weapons; that strikes me as being a REALLY good way to get dead and a REALLY bad example to set.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#8]
forget the guns!
The guy in the space suit scared the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
graphics.theonion.com/pics_3810/infograph_3810.jpg
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Nevermind that ET practically dies traumatizing every kid in the audience for weeks. That's okay, but the brief images of guns would upset kids.

Somehow I don't remember that scarring me or even occurring to me back when I was a kid watching it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#11]
what people need to understand is that gun owners have just as much rights as non gun oweners.and if they dont own a gun ,then why are they trying to tell the people that are armed what to do ? it can be written down on paper but that dont make it so.the constitution said we could go armed   and we are armed . the government said we cant go armed , so i guess the only ones that believe in our right to go armed is the ones that are armed like the ones that use guns to kill and mame people for drugs and the almighty dollar.AND THATS ALL I GOTTA SAY ABOUT THAT
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would shoot the little ET in a heartbeat.

and i will take his Reese's Pieces!

Yum!
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#13]
the gun is what gave all americans the rights they have to this very day.and if they take our guns away what are they really taking away?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Giving up guns for the sake of illegal ALIENS    ....Ain't that American.

Bet you they sure won't edit little Drew Barrymore's "penis breath" line!

ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What's next for Spielberg - editing out the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indy shoots the sword wielding bad guy?

That was George Lucas' idea, and he did state that he regretted it. Note the digital Star Wars remakes, if you have them. In the cantina scene where Gredo (bounty hunter) & Solo are talking at the table - remember how Solo coolly points his blaster up towards Gredo from under the table, still holstered, and caps him? In the remake, Lucas edited in an initiating blaster shot from Gredo to make it look like Han's shot was a responsive self defense move. I noticed this straight off when I first saw it, but Lucas has since admitted it directly.

Granted, both these guys own their respective licenses, so they're entitled to modify them as they see fit. Still, I can't help but note how rather lame some of their movies have gotten. "Star Wars, E1" was a dog. I'm now wondering if light saber duels will devolve from strike & block duels to PC "sting fights".
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#16]
They also replaced the real E.T. in the movie with a digitally created one I hear. How gay is that?

I'm not going to see it.

Anyone else see The Daily Show on Comedy Central when Lewis Black was commenting on the new movie....

"And they replaced the shotguns the agents were holding with radios! I can only imagine that they are using the radios to ask, 'Where the hell are our frickin' guns! We're trying to stop and alien here!'"

I love Lewis Black
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#17]
good one ArmaLiter

I also like that Mr black guy on the daily show.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#18]
an NRA boycott would be nice
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Indy, shooting the sword weilding guy was not George Lucas' idea or Speilberg's, Harrison Ford was sick as a dog  at the time and they had gone through a pile of takes unsuccessfully, so tired and sick he drew his revolver instead of the whip or whatever he was supposed to do, and fired a blank at the guy.  Everyone thought it was a great idea and they decided to go with it.  But I'm pretty sure they had to re-shoot it anyhow.

Harrison Ford was evidently responsible for a lot of ad libs and improvisation both during the Idiana Jones movies and the Star Wars movies.

On a side note:  Harrison Ford is one of the few actors out there that I respect to some degree, if only because he doesn't make a huge deal out of his own political views.  He knows that he is just an actor and that his views don't mean a damned thing more than anyone else's .  He went on record to that effect back when they were promoting "Air Force One."  The fact that he had enough self-knowledge to realize that made an impression on me.

Link Posted: 3/22/2002 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Speaking of Lucas and Star Wars....

It was pointed out on www.theforce.net way back when the "Enhanced" movies came out that Star Wars has some violence cut.

When Luke, Han and Chewie go to the detention center to rescue Leia, a firefight breaks out.

In the original Star Wars, you can see when a bad guy is hit. There is a puff of smoke and a flames, and the guy drops to the ground.

In the "Enhanced" Star Wars you see the guns fire, and then it cuts to the bad guys falling. You never see them get shot.

Just a fraction of a second, but more PC crap.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#21]
They took the guns out, but they added 8min to the bathroom scene.  I heard that on the radio today.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm hoping they don't chop up any more movies.  Can you imagine a PC form of '73 Winchester?  
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#24]
The movie will also be made available in a untouched version.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I went and watched ET on opening night.

Not that bad. Not as good as I remember, but not bad.

The digital ET was pretty good in some spots, many times though it look like a digital ET.

The bathroom scene was lame. I wish they would have left it cut.

The guns being removed was not that noticeable until 2 parts. The first was when Elliot and his brother steal the government van and ditch it in a park. Mom is right behind the FBI guys yelling "Don't hurt him!" Cut to FBI guys opening up the van door... with walkie talkies.

Second part was the roadblock scene. It's the one they show in the trailers. Elliot spots the roadblock. Cut to Elliot with a look of terror on his face. Cut to his friends, all have a look of terror. Cut to FBI roadblock. FBI guys are waving them down with... walkie talkies!

Just seemed pretty goofy that these kids and the mom were so afraid of people armed with walkie talkies. Perhaps they don't want to be hit by the flexible antenna.

Oh well... I'll stick with the original ET.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#26]

I can't wait to see the "re-touched" Saving Private Ryan!

Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I hear the "new enhanced" Saving Private Ryan is only 23min long including opening and closing credits[:\]. When will this PC crap ever end?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top