Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2002 7:39:29 PM EDT
Due to this newsgroup, my gun safe is packed to the gills with all
sorts of AR's, an AK, Glock's, Sig's..etc.  Just a regular old gun store.
Unfortunately, I still want more!  I'm getting ready to move up to
.30 cal. rifles like M1A's and a FN or 2.

Now I need a new gun safe.  From looking at some models at
gun shows, my ball park safe needs to be about 36" wide,
60" high and 22" deep.  It also has to have 60 minutes of
fire protection at 1200 degrees.  From what I understand, the
peak temperature of a house fire is 1200 degrees which will burn
you house completely down in less than 60 minutes.

After looking at the Liberty Safes, I like the capacities but all
the less expensive models(under $1200) have only 30 minutes of
fire protection.  The Liberty rep insinuated that 30 minutes
at 1200 degrees is enough protection, but I'm not really sure.

Any body have any recommendations?

Spambo
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:32:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with the cheaper one, assuming identical construction (steel and lock wise) and put it in the basement.  A house fire burns much cooler here.

I put mine into a specially dimensioned tight fit closet.  I placed it on the concrete floor, and built up the closet with TWO thicknesses of 5/8" fire rated sheetrock on the three sides and the roof.  

If I followed my original plan of making a door with the same sheetrock as a core, a burn-to-the-ground fire wouln't even damage the paint on the safe.  Instead, I put a venetian window blind where the door should have gone.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:23:30 AM EDT
[#2]
You will find (as most of us have) that no safe is too large. Even if you purchase the largest eventually it will get filled.

My advice, is to build a room specifically for your toys and puchase a vault door.

Although this too will eventually fill up, it will take much much longer to do so.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 5:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out Fort Knox,, they have some that are 66" tall for about the same price as others 60", Southern Security in Kingston TN has the best prices..Randy Register, is salesman you need to talk too.. I had to get the least expensive one to afford the room I needed, Maverick series,,, Had a small Protector series for 15 years,,, no problems,,, and they have a lifetime guarantee
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#4]
spambo,

Good advice on this thread.  All I can add is LISTEN to the part about:

Calculate how big a safe you need - then buy double the capacity.

Wish I had.

James
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#5]
When talking about gun safes, size does matter! Buy the largest safe you can find. The safe room is a great idea if you are going to stay in the house you live in. I bought the 27 gun Remington and it is full. I am back to using the two cheap Wallmart specials that I started with. MIKE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top