Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2002 10:39:41 AM EDT
Can someone please clarify, what can and cannot be purchased at a gun show when you are not from that state. (i.e. lower receiver, uppers, mag's)

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#1]
First, as an out-of-state resident you can PURCHASE anything that is allowed under the law in the state where the gun show is located.

The big HOWEVER is that you cannot take possession of a FIREARM yourself. For ARs, this also includes lower receivers, since they are serial-numbered as firearms. The general rule is if the purchase requires you to fill out a 4473, then you can't take delivery. Instead, the seller must ship the item to an FFL in your home state. You then pay the home-state FFL a handling fee and take possession from him.

Anything else (uppers, mags, etc.) can be bought and given to you on the spot. The second HOWEVER is that if your home state has banned any of your purchases -- for instance, California's high-cap mag ban -- and you take them home to California, you are illegally importing them to your home state and face prosecution.

HTH.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, as long as your home state allows it, Federal law allows you to purchase long arms in any state. I do know that here in PA a huge numebr of rifles/shotguns are purchased by residents of NJ and MD.

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
IIRC, as long as your home state allows it, Federal law allows you to purchase long arms in any state. I do know that here in PA a huge numebr of rifles/shotguns are purchased by residents of NJ and MD.

I agree, I have seen quite a few Yankees come to good ole VA and buy rifles and lowers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top