Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 12:18:18 PM EDT
I was looking at some gun safes and got to thinking.  I thought about framing off a section of my basement and turning it into a gun room.  I thought about putting a bench in there for repairs and cleaning.  I know that I will need a dehumidifier, but is there anything else that I may need to do this right.  Would drywall suffice as a wall covering, or should I use some type of wood for the walls.  Just trying to throw some ideas around and was wondering if anyone else has a room like this in their house or any ideas.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
One thing about concrete walls-they don't burn.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
One thing about concrete walls-they don't burn.

Hear, Hear!!  

You know, considering the cost of a nice safe, that $$$ could go a long ways toward cinder-blockin' it and just mounting one of those vaulted doors instead.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I always wanted to do this and would if I ever built a new house.    Using drywall for the walls would defeat the purpose of a vault door, thats for sure.  I would do poured concrete or block with rebar for reinforcement, vault door, lights, electric outlet, gun rack mounted on wall. Laser motion sensors (no, just kidding).  I would probably do all my reloading and cleaning in a separate/adjacent room.  You would probably want some sort of venting.  Maybe run a hit off your ductwork if you have forced air HVAC.  Or, at least a few small air vents.  I say do it!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#5]
you could frame your walls with wood and use fire retardant sheet rock
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Just FYI, there is a paint on the market, I can't remember the name, but when exposed to high temps of a fire, blisters out to create an insulating foam.  The only problem is it cost about $100 a gallon.  But, man that's cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Starts with this

A little later you get this

Add some electricals, paint, racks, shelves and a bench

Voila! Instant gun room.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I remember reading an article in a metal fab magazine
that 4'x8'x1/4" sheets of aluminum and steel separated
by 1" of that concrete , gypsum and fiberglass board
they use under tile in shower stalls was the best material
to build high security/fireproof rooms out of .

It took longer to breach then any other material tested .
Including 8" of reinforced concrete .  It was also light
enough to be used on the upper floors of wood framed
buildings . Estimated cost was about $5000 for a 12'x12' room .

I imagine it would be much cheaper if you put it in a basement
against an outside wall , since that would eliminate the floor and
two walls , but having it in the living area would make it allot
less moisture prone and make it a more accessible " Panic Room "
for those who would like that option for loved ones that are
not prepared for self defense .
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's mine again. Not 2 months old.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
COMPLETED:
I built (still finishing) a vault in the corner of our basement and dry stacked concrete blocks filled with concrete and rebar.  I wished I could have a vault door installed but for now have a very thick industrial steel door with some reinforced steel refinements added for good measure.  I have a dehumidifier in the vault as well as a box fan for air circulation.  There are two concrete blocks turned on their sides on the bottom and top for ventilation as well as the gap underneath the door.  The vault is big enough that I told my wife we can use it for a storm shelter as well...so now there's plenty of supplies in there as well to last a few days.  Did I mention a big loud dog inside the house that's has other LEO in the neighborhood and the Police Chief next door?!  Location, Location...Location!

NEXT:
I need to cover the inside and outside of the block walls with Quik Wall which is a bonding cement that is troweled over the dry stacked blocks and is supposed to be much stronger than using mortar between the blocks.  I will paint the inside of basement wall that is in contact with the outside with a waterproof paint to reduce condensation on the wall.  The dehumidifier will be raised up on a couple of blocks and a hose installed so it can drain directly into the sump pump thru a block in the wall turned sideways at one block above ground level.  One wall will have either pegboard or slat wall installed for firearms to be displayed on rubber coated retail hangers.  Ceiling will be insulated and have either plywood or gypsum board attached to the rafters with sound insulation tiles installed to the ceiling.  A ceiling fan will be installed to aid in ventilation of the vault and provide additional light.  Extra phone jack will be installed in the vault for communication.  A deep cycle battery will be hooked up to a battery charger and inverter to provide some power/light if electricity goes out or is cut...attached to the inverter will be the alarm system (motion for ceiling and walls/thermal for steel door) as well as cell phone charger and other low draw AC only items.  Register vent off heat duct will be installed to allow a more uniform temperature in the vault for firearms and ME.  Storage cabinet is full of candles, flashlights, batteries, hand held CB radio, MRE's, 45 gallons of water, pertinent reading material, blankets, pillows, comfort foods, etc.)  I don't plan on getting fancy with the flooring as I'll probably just find a huge throw rug to put in there or a bunch of smaller ones.  Additional fluorescent light fixtures and outlets will be added after I decide what will go where.  Oh yeah, there will be another actual gun safe inside the vault anchored to the floor and encased in more concrete blocks filled with concrete for the bad guy to spend more time on.  The outside of the vault will be covered with shelving and other items to disguise and confuse would be burglar that doesn't know that there's anything even down there.  Along one wall will be a cheap Homak gun cabinet in plain sight for them to spend all their time on and have it filled with cheap rifles with all their internal firing pieces absent or broken, the rifles will be of the uncommon farm auction variety that you can't get parts for and haven't been made for decades.  Forgot to add that inside the vault will be book shelves with my collection of magazines (American Survival Guide, Small Arms Review, etc.), stereo, tv (as well as a small B&W DC tv) and chairs.

There are pieces of the plan that have been omitted for security sake and for others to comment on and see what they'd do to improve my setup.  Granted anyone can get into anything if they have the right equipment and plenty of time but what we're trying to avoid is the common thief and meth'd out crack head who thinks he can make a quick score to trade for some cash to buy drugs.

Might want to hook up that sump pump to your back up power supply incase your basement floods.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Starts with this

img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/dracster/house2.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/dracster/000_0025.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/dracster/000_0026.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/dracster/000_0019.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/dracster/000_0020.jpg

Voila! Instant gun room.

That is pretty awesome, how do you gain entry, is that a door to your basement?

Is the ceiling concrete rebar reinforced? Does it look like a regular front porch from above ground?

Nice work!

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Starts with this

img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/dracster/house2.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/dracster/000_0025.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/dracster/000_0026.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/dracster/000_0019.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/dracster/000_0020.jpg

Voila! Instant gun room.

That is pretty awesome, how do you gain entry, is that a door to your basement?

Is the ceiling concrete rebar reinforced? Does it look like a regular front porch from above ground?

Nice work!

Yes
Yes
Yes

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to do something like that someday.....................someday.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I had always thought that a thief-resistant gun room would be really cool.

However, if I ever do it in the future, I have decided that I might as well just make a sort of bomb shelter and incorporate the gun room into that. I figure if you're going to spend a bunch of mula on a concrete-walled "room" that will basically be a light bunker, you migh just as well spend a few extra bucks and make it a SHTF shelter too. Twice the usefuleness (and quadriple the coolness ) for roughly the same price range.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I was thinking about an old customer's house and I think his full basement extended even underneath the garage.  That might be a good idea for those wanting an innocuous gun room.  

Nobody expects the garage to have a basement.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Dracster and Minuteman419 thanks for the pics as your vaults look nice.  Minuteman419 your vault looks HUGE and I'm very jealous!  I like how you've got everything spread out in its own areas as mine is a little more compact in its arrangement than that.  I'll keep any reloading equipment I acquire outside the vault as I already have a work bench built along one wall already.  I just noticed the shower in your vault and that you have your safe and file cabinet up off the floor on blocks...sump pump located in there as well?

You are welcome. More of a gun room than a vault although the window has H.D. steel bars on it (I made). Yes, Im lucky to have about 1/3 of my basement for my play area the same area that my Grand Dad used for his hobbies after he retired and built this house.

Behind the shower sits a Pre-Ban toilet. The safe and everything is designed around the fact that my basement floods if we get over about 2" of rain in a short order. Sump pumps are the manual type. Water has to get like 3" deep before it runs out basement door. It runs in faster than I can get it out sometimes, SO PLAN DRAINAGE!

The most important things to me are secure storage space, my frige, my safe and getting stuff away from where water will accumulate while I'm working, sleeping or gone from home in the event of a down pour.

I can throw a rock to a major highway (US 29) from my front door, so I'm not in the boonies. I can get in/out quick enough to save my stuff. Work is only 4.5 miles away.

Think out everything in advance and plan accordingly when building. I wish my place had of been built better in the 60's while I was still crapping yellow.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Man i cant wait for the wife and me to get a house. But if i had a step up like danny. The wife would never see me. All you need is a shooting lane down there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Man i cant wait for the wife and me to get a house. But if i had a step up like danny. The wife would never see me. All you need is a shooting lane down there.

I just walk out the back basement door and...

Danny

One lucky SOB!

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#21]
How about a layer of expanded metal on the ceiling with some of that concrete finish in it. You could probably finish it to look just like drywall, and it would really cut down the sound.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#22]
bump anybody else have a walk-in gunsafe?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I love looking at others gun rooms. gives me ideas for when i biuld my own some day
I cant wait.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top