Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/19/2003 4:03:22 PM EDT
Read this in the September issue of Guns Magazine Crossfire, letters section(quoted in part):

If you ever have to defend your life, use a sporting/hunting shotgun with blued finish and wood stock/forearm. If a prosecutor doesn't have an air-tight case against you, he'll attack your character.
A parkerized, synthetic-stocked extended magazine tactical shotgun will be turned against you. You'll be portrayed as a gun nut waiting for a chance to kill you fellow man! The same goes goes for ammo, No. 2 bird shot works at bedroom distances and it's a hunting round.

I fired off a letter of my own addressing each of his points, and emphasizing that the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with hunting.
I made sure to admonish the editor for failing to reply in such a manner as well.
It is long time for the hunting community to wake up and join the fight.

I think this requires a fire mission.

ed@gunsmagazine.com
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:54:37 PM EDT
I am afraid to say it, but any weapon you use in that situation, be it a ak, ar, box of condoms, or a book of state and federal regulations regarding unlawful entry, you will be painted as a bloodthirsty maniac with a perfect trap for your unlawful intruder by his lawyer. Hopefully your aim is true and your intruder cannot distort his side of the story. Most people don't get that if I am elk hunting I want a bear gun that will destroy body armor in my tent at night. I want a 12 gauge loaded down with about 20 slugs and a .50 beowolf backing it up. The same goes for my bedroom. any time some SOB wakes me up he will be fighting for his life.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:56:50 PM EDT
In this day and age of liability lawsuits, I could almost see an intruder who survived an encouter sueing because you used an improper load, and only horribly disfigured him.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 9:17:48 PM EDT
I disagree with the writer, I only use muzzle loaders to defend my home since thats what the 2nd Amendment was written to protect anyway.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:17:14 AM EDT
I disagree with every point he made. First, in a home defense situation, the last thing I want to do is try to maneuver in tight spaces with a shotgun that has a 30" barrel. Not smart nor practical. Second, the use of #2 birdshot is not a recommended practice of those who actually have a clue about ammunition. And last, if put in a situation where I must fight or die, I will use the best tool I have at my disposal to end the threat...if that's a 12 gauge tactical shotgun with buckshot and slugs or an AR carbine, that's what I will use if I can get to it.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 any day of the week. Besides, this type of situation is horribly over-hyped anyway. So I will protect myself first and worry about the rest later.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 2:51:56 PM EDT
He is full of crap, but he is dangerous because he thinks he is smart. Blaze away on the guy.

Tactical shotguns are impossing looking weapons. People usually look at them and say, why do you need a gun like that? Do you really need that? We know it is all cosmetic and based on functionality.

IMHO, good legal advice would be to always use a light with your weapon. You have the right to defend yourself, but you can't go looking for blood, even in your own home. If you go to the the trouble to buy, practice with and then use a light to responsibly identify your target BEFORE you shoot it, how can anyone call you negligent unless you shoot the guy in the back.

Haivng a light will help avoid any trouble with dipshit prosecutors.

"Yes I feared for mine and my families lives. Yes I was sure he was not on the OK to enter my home list. How was I so sure? Well, just pick up my gun over there on the evidence table, turn of the lights here in the courtroom and point my shotgun at the Judge, assuming it is not loaded, and turn on my surefire grip. Do you recognize his honor in the dark? Of course you do. Pretty good light huh? That is why I was so sure it was not my daughters boy friend when I shot him. And my wife has not made any claim to him either."
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:25:50 PM EDT
Stryfe, Although this is a very interesting topic I do not believe that it should be posted in the shotgun forum. I think that it belongs in the General forum where political discussions are usually posted.

This is a forum where technical information about shotguns and shotgun shooting is discussed. For this reason I am going to close this discussion. MIKE.
Top Top