Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 8:17:41 AM EDT
Hi folks,

My brother is looking at picking up a Scout Squad rifle, but wanted to know what kind of groups to expect with the 18" barrel if he does his job.

He mentioned that he was  thinking of picking up a 2.5 - 8 Power handgun scope to mount on the forward scout rail, and would be using standard Winchester .308 for most of his shooting (I also told him about  Australian surplus and the good luck that I have had with it, so he might be using that).

Any ideas ?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine has an aimpoint mounted (no maginification), and @ 100 shooting off a ruck in the prone, I get between 4-5 inches in slow fire, and 6-8 inches in rapid fire. The dot, mind you is either 3 or 4 MOA, I think. I could probly do better if I really settled down, and took my time.

I'm thinking of pulling the aimpoint off and giving the irons a go, as I didn't shoot it at all before I put the aimpoint on.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.

Anyone have any info on groups with a magnified scope ?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:06:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Again, for the gazillionth time, SCOUT RIFLE SCOPES ARE THE 2.75X MADE BY BURRIS AND 2.5X MADE BY LEUPOLD.  PERIOD.

Mine using the Burris consistently shot sub-MOA at 100 yards using factory Remington 150 PSP Corelocks.  And was close to 2-MOA capable at 200 yards using Aussie F4 surplus and Federal GM 155 Palma match loads shooting 10 shot groups.

Using the same 2.75X Burris I've shot .75 wide x 1.75 tall groups at 200 yards...so the LIMITING FACTOR is not the scope magnification, it's the rifle/shooter system.

Paladin

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#5]
So anything above a 2.75 mounted on the scout rail will not be effective ?

What is the distance from the back of the 2.75 Burris scope you mentioned to your eye
when you are looking through the scope (just curious as to the eye relief distance) ?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
"Effectiveness" can mean something different to everyone.

Above 2.75X, your field of view gets too small.  And the larger disparity between the unmagnified "real world" and your "glass" sighting eye starts to make shooting with both eyes open troublesome.  Maintaining periferal(sp?) vision is a Scout rifle advantage over conventional optics.

The rear lens of my 2.5X Leupold Scout scope is about 9.5 inches from the eye, when shouldering normally.  There is actually little or no "wiggle room" in deciding where to mount the scope.
The front ring must go as far forward on the rail as possible.
The scope adjustment turrets need to go as close to the rear of the front ring as possible.
That's all there is to it.

Regarding "effectiveness".  I keep a 200 yard zero on my Scout, and feel very confortable taking shots at game to 300 yards.  "Minute of Man" effectiveness should be 100% out to 400 yards, good enough for (most) government work...  HTH.

Paladin

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the reply Paladin.

Could you recommend any scope that would allow for the variable option (in other words, one
that would allow him to shoot at a low setting in most cases, but would also give him the option
of zooming in if he wanted to do so) ?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the response....

All things considered, would you folks recommend "low" rings for the Scout scope set up - I'm telling my brother to go with quick-detach rings - that said, which brand would you suggest  ?

Which EXACT scope models would you recommend ? The Burris and Leopolds described above seem to have numerous models, and the ones I found that "seemed" right didn't appear to have the proper eye relieft - would you guys point me to the exact suggested models on riflescopes.com ?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:56:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:19:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Nothing much to add to RAF's comments.

I am currently using the Leupold PRW LOW ht. rings.  As mentioned, even a slightly too high mounting will just "not feel right".  Med. rings seemed OK, but when I actually started using the LOW ht., the improvement was obvious.

Another difference between the two Scout scopes is the Burris 2.75X has an adjustable occular lens, the Leupold does not.

I'm running the Leupold these days, only because after 7 years of heavy use my Burris developed a very slight internal lens "rattle" and went back for repair...and by the time it was fixed (for free, they have a lifetime warranty) I had installed the Leupold in case deer season showed up before the repaired scope.

There is no doubt in my mind the Burris heavy reticule is better for field conditions.  And actually, the fine inner portion of both scopes subtends the same at 100 yards(approx. 0.7 inch).

Paladin

ETA:  Midway also has both on sale from time to time, I only paid about $180 for the 2.5X Leupold because "it was my birthday" and THEY GAVE ME SPECIAL PRICES, no kidding.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:10:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks folks.
I appreciate the help.

If I like the setup, I'll be purchasing an M1A as well.

EDIT TO ADD:
There is no reason why an A.R.M.S. #18 scope mount would not also be usable
on the M1A Scout Squad rifle is there ? Just curious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top