Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2016 4:47:31 PM EDT
Considering my current people don't ever have anything in stock (Lucky 13, not complaining, I just need to be able to buy what I shoot) I need to find something else to shoot.

I have 1000 Missouri bullets 9mm 147gr flat point I bought last year with a groove and went to check to make sure they were still selling so I could get a couple more thousand and saw that they have groove and grooveless now.

Long story short, all anyone has ever had in stock was groove projectiles so I didn't even have to choose, is there any reason to get grooveless? And why even the choice? Considering the length I cant see how (or why) anyone would crimp into the groove with 9mm...

Let me know what I am missing here
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Considering my current people don't ever have anything in stock (Lucky 13, not complaining, I just need to be able to buy what I shoot) I need to find something else to shoot.

I have 1000 Missouri bullets 9mm 147gr flat point I bought last year with a groove and went to check to make sure they were still selling so I could get a couple more thousand and saw that they have groove and grooveless now.

Long story short, all anyone has ever had in stock was groove projectiles so I didn't even have to choose, is there any reason to get grooveless? And why even the choice? Considering the length I cant see how (or why) anyone would crimp into the groove with 9mm...

Let me know what I am missing here
View Quote
Those are lube grooves not crimp grooves.

Old school molds made for uncoated lead bullets that are to be lubed and sized.

Since coating came to town, no need to lube so the bullet makers continued to use the molds they had.

As you see some makers are buying and/or modifying thier existing molds to groove less.

Some folks don't mind the lube groove in coated bullets and some do.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Ahh ok, I was unfamiliar since I started shooting powder coated from the beginning, makes sense. I always kind of wondered but there was never a "groveless" option so I didn't look into it. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]

As stated above could be a lube groove
 Or could be for a role crimp in 38 SPL or 357
 Depends on where on the bullet the groove is

You did not specify if these bullets are lead, plated or what ?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As stated above could be a lube groove
 Or could be for a role crimp in 38 SPL or 357
 Depends on where on the bullet the groove is

You did not specify if these bullets are lead, plated or what ?
View Quote

They're lead
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top