Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2017 1:33:40 AM EDT
I know these are not marketed as a precision can but does anyone have any experience with these, accuracy wise? My dealer has these in stock at a good price and I'm looking at them as a cheaper direct thread for my boy's hunting AR. It's a 16" RRA HBAR that will shoot 1/2" @ 100 with Vmax and I don't want to ruin that accuracy. It will be used for plinking, coyote hunting, and hopefully a prairie dog hunt some day so accuracy is my main priority (as well as being short/lite/inexpensive).

And just out of curiosity...
I don't plan to pin and weld it, but I understand that part of it's purpose is to create a one stamp SBR. If perm-attached, how do you ever change gas blocks? How do you clean the rifle w/o getting patches stuck inside? I'm not a fan of bore-snakes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:34:05 AM EDT
[#1]
You just nailed two big arguments against pin and welding a can - not to mention changing mists rails
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:13:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Resident Spartan 3 fanboy here. This can is excellent. Don't pin and weld. I put mine on with a couple drops of Resbond 907TS (threadlocker) and torqued it to ~35 ft-lbs. Hasn't budged since.

Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:42:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You just nailed two big arguments against pin and welding a can - not to mention changing mists rails
View Quote

I'm not planning to pin and weld, although I can see the point of it since SBRs are not allowed in my state. For a straight up SHTF rifle I'm sure its fine. I'm mainly just looking for accuracy opinions. I would guess that most of the guys chasing accuracy with high dollar rigs would be using TBAC cans or something but I was hoping that someone has had good accuracy experience with this can. Several recent threads have mentioned that the SDN6 is notoriously inaccurate, so I don't want something like that. From what I've read it seems like direct thread is best for pure accuracy but I'm not sure if that applies in the $450 price range of cans.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:14:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Since SBRs are not allowed in your state, that's the one exception I make to my usual anti-pin+weld stance. That's the one time it really makes sense to do it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm not planning to pin and weld, although I can see the point of it since SBRs are not allowed in my state. For a straight up SHTF rifle I'm sure its fine. I'm mainly just looking for accuracy opinions. I would guess that most of the guys chasing accuracy with high dollar rigs would be using TBAC cans or something but I was hoping that someone has had good accuracy experience with this can. Several recent threads have mentioned that the SDN6 is notoriously inaccurate, so I don't want something like that. From what I've read it seems like direct thread is best for pure accuracy but I'm not sure if that applies in the $450 price range of cans.
View Quote

A quality QD mount should not show degradation in accuracy
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:08:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A quality QD mount should not show degradation in accuracy
View Quote

I agree, but a quality QD can runs a lot more than $450. This would be a one rifle dedicated can (but not pinned) so no need for QD. I just don't want to buy it and find out it degrades the accuracy and then everyone says "well what did you expect for a cheap can" lol.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Boy, those $300 YHM 556QD can days are over.  I snagged up 3 back then.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top