Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2014 2:36:07 PM EDT
Has anyone had any first hand experience with this suppressor? There are very few reviews of it online, it does seem to be a a pretty good option as far as SPR OTB type suppressors go though.
Anyone have any thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I asked this a few months ago but i think only one person on this site actually has one. I wanted to know as well. I wanted griffin armament to do a side by side with the ops inc they have but i doubt itll happen
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, I'm not sure how long ago these were released honestly. I've only seen one "review" on youtube and that was by the manufacturer. They seem like nice cans, and the mounts seem much easier to set up than OPS. Well, if i end up getting one I'll be sure to let you know what i think of it haha.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Well boys, I'll be able to tell you guys probably Pretty soon, I should be getting my approval notification for mine sometime in the next 30 days. Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know if these add the same length to the barrel as an Ops?  I was just looking it up online, but very little info and/or side by side comparisons.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:59:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Griffin has a YouTube video
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#6]
The ops cans are nice.  When originally fielded in the 80s they were probably borderline magical (the government tried to classify the ops patent but waited too long). The significant spr improvements are lighter weight, ease of mount installation, perfect edm bore allignment, and greater bullet to bore tolerance.

The ops can is a good can, but not as forgiving or user friendly as the spr.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well boys, I'll be able to tell you guys probably Pretty soon, I should be getting my approval notification for mine sometime in the next 30 days. Fingers crossed.
View Quote

Awesome, man. Be sure to let us know what you think of it once you get to try it out. Include pics, of course...haha.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#8]
im really interested in this can as well. Id love to see some more in depth reviews.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh I most certainly will!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone know what materials the can is made out of? All it says in the video is 'better than the stainless in the OPS INC'
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does anyone know what materials the can is made out of? All it says in the video is 'better than the stainless in the OPS INC'
View Quote

I believe the tube is 17-4 Stainless and the baffles are inconel. Though I could be wrong. Green0 will probably chime in here again eventually to set the record straight.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got the word that my GA SPR suppressor got approved today, so hopefully I can let all you guys know all about it soon! And with pics of course.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:07:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Please do!!!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just got the word that my GA SPR suppressor got approved today, so hopefully I can let all you guys know all about it soon! And with pics of course.
View Quote

Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#15]
So what's the word?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So what's the word?
View Quote

Well, if I have time I might drive down to silencer shop on Saturday, but if not, it'll be at least another week before I get it in from them. It's a 3 hour trip for me down there and 3 hours back.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I should have the SPR today assuming UPS can get their shit together. They've had it since Friday.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Looking forward to your thoughts/ review of the Griffin SPR.    I really considered getting the SPR, but went with a Gemtech Trek due to the lack of real world user experience with the SPR.     Maybe I will get one for my next can.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Got it!!

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm going to try and get it installed tomorrow and do some shooting. I be able to shoot side by side with my saker 762 to for comparison. I'd say as long as it's as quiet or similar tone, it will be g2g. It's not crazy heavy and Thayer really do mean only about 4.5" added. The muzzle threads in and stops right at the first brake port. I'll also hit up GA and see if they offer a baffle upgrade like the Recce 5 and 7 since they are very similar, just out of curiosity.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#22]
The upgraded baffle stack is $300. Still kin of annoys me that they came out with a new baffle stack so quick. My can hadn't even cleared eform yet before they had a new baffle design. I'd shoot it a while and see if it's worth the money to you. I've strugged with deciding if it's worth the cash to upgraded but I've pretty much decided I'd rather put it towards another can. Seems pretty expensive but at least they offer the service. Many companies would just tell you you're stuck.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Well my thoughts on the matter is I've already gone this far on something that I'm pretty much married to, so I might as well get the best version of it. What's another 300 bucks in the grand scheme of things. I saw how much the new baffles helped the recce 5, so that really got me interested. But I'll see how this sounds. But I will most likely get it upgraded at some point. Maybe I'll just beat the crap out of it then send it in.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Alright I was only able to just barely get out before the sun set and only for about an hour, of which I was having to much fun before I realized I needed to record something for your guys. I'll do more on Saturday but this will help tease you. I compared it to my saker 762 with the 556 end cap. Both rifles are 16" barrels, same gas system, same stock (except for the thicker UBR pad on the saker rifle) so in the pick just subtract that length with some math to get the OAL difference. I put a description in the video of the firing order since it's short and sweet due to lack of time and light.

http://youtu.be/Ptl5_Zdls2k

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Alright I was only able to just barely get out before the sun set and only for about an hour, of which I was having to much fun before I realized I needed to record something for your guys. I'll do more on Saturday but this will help tease you. I compared it to my saker 762 with the 556 end cap. Both rifles are 16" barrels, same gas system, same stock (except for the thicker UBR pad on the saker rifle) so in the pick just subtract that length with some math to get the OAL difference. I put a description in the video of the firing order since it's short and sweet due to lack of time and light.
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z364/willdearborn919/0F4E5F1E-1EA1-45A4-BF76-9B47D3EB3F54-5018-00000246CA92EF4A_zpsba793044.jpg
http://youtu.be/Ptl5_Zdls2k

View Quote

sweetness, locking forward to the follow up

Published on Dec 25, 2014

GA SPR on left and saker 762 on right. First 2 shots are saker on right followed by SPR on left. Then followed up by one shot each started first by the saker on the right then alternated. Saker 762 has 556 end cap and both rifles have mid length gas systems and H3 buffers with 16" barrels. Camera was about 10 feet behind shooters.

*description
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Very cool, I'm interested in this supressor for when I get a 5.56 can.  How did it sound compared to the Saker?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:09:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Two of us did a blind hearing test with the same scenario as in the video, in that I mean back turned and not knowing who would fire 2 shots first then the other. They sounded extremely similar and we were about 20 feet back each time. Though I'd say the saker had a little deeper tone to it. Not saying that the SPR wasn't quiet, because it was but just a little less deep but still very pleasant. But that was also when I still had the 762 end cap on it too. I'll do more with them soon. But as of right now, I'm very pleased with the SPR, and there is very little gass in the face as well, my rifle it is being run on just has a H3 buffer and it was ejecting the cases as if the suppressor wasn't over gassing it. If any of you want an affordable SPR type suppressor, I think you'll be happy with this for sure. More to come though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#28]
god I have been waiting for something like this. I am torn between these 2 suppressors, they will be used on a 12 inch SBR and a 18 inch SPR clone. I don't care that much about the 30 cal capability but I want the shortest OAL/quietest 556 sup that will have the least blowback and effect on reliability. thanks for all your work sir.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone know what the shortest barrel length for that mount would be?  Looking for a reflex can for my 11.5" SBR with FSB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top