Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 3:31:18 PM EST
guys the suppressor purchase will be my first and i'm trying to learn on the fly, so i'm honestly open to suggestions. i'm looking for a QD type for 30 caliber that i can also run on a 556 rifle. the main host guns will be SCAR H and a SCAR L, LWRC REPR, 12.5 BCM SBR. i have talked with a lot of folks and trying to soak up all the info i can. i've come down to the choice of the Recce7 and the Omega, but also open to other options if they fit my needs as stated.

i'll be attending a GaHTF shoot in the upcoming month, and the guys there have been super, lots of different types of suppressors will be there so i can see first hand

thanks in advance for you guys time
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:09:43 PM EST
I've been trying to decide between the Dead Air Sandman and the Recce 7. So I would add the Sandman S to your short list.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:29:08 PM EST
I was in the same boat. I ordered the Sandman-S. I wanted something really tough. The full Stellite baffle, a mount that goes on one way helping reduce POI shift, and rated for 7.5" barrel sold me. The ability to mount and unmount without having to touch the base is plus as well for under the hand guard installs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:11:02 PM EST
i found a video on youtube on the military arms channel, they test these suppressors head to head, the Recce7 and Omega were the quietest on 30 cal and 556, i was shocked at how loud the SOCOM was. sorry i don't know how to embed the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=iL2Q2DIX76o
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:24:37 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By votefromrooftops:
i found a video on youtube on the military arms channel, they test these suppressors head to head, the Recce7 and Omega were the quietest on 30 cal and 556, i was shocked at how loud the SOCOM was. sorry i don't know how to embed the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=iL2Q2DIX76o
View Quote

Sometimes the quietest isn't always the best. Usually means more blowback.

Now what I know from owning a few cans on ARs its all about blowback to me. Dead Air Sandman S or Saker 762 would be my first choice followed by the Omega (best bang for the buck).
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:46:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/30/2015 11:54:18 AM EST by GRIFFIN_ARMAMENT]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:59:44 PM EST
Based on shooting both and how the tone is, omega. The recce has a much higher pitch that is hard on my ears where the omega has a deeper tone and is easier on the ears. Ymmv.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:38:37 PM EST
guys the suppressor purchase will be my first and i'm trying to learn on the fly, so i'm honestly open to suggestions. i'm looking for a QD type for 30 caliber that i can also run on a 556 rifle. the main host guns will be SCAR H and a SCAR L, LWRC REPR, 12.5 BCM SBR. i have talked with a lot of folks and trying to soak up all the info i can. i've come down to the choice of the Recce7 and the Omega, but also open to other options if they fit my needs as stated.

i'll be attending a GaHTF shoot in the upcoming month, and the guys there have been super, lots of different types of suppressors will be there so i can see first hand

thanks in advance for you guys time
View Quote

Definitely try and shoot some before you buy!
What are you looking for in the suppressor???
I prefer a QD mount for general use, I have a lot of cans and they all have a different role. Also if you can afford it you might want to consider a dedicated 308 and a dedicated 556 can. The M4-2000 is a great all around 556 can but personally I'm all about thread on cans for hunting. They keep weight down and less mounting of stuff.
Omega is a great choice, you can use QD, direct thread, and change the end caps. Very versatile and light and cheap.
I have never used the recce 7 simply because I've used ops inc cans and not really a fan of their "QD" system. Too much fine thread.
I like the ASR mount.
I've never used the recce7 but the omega is pretty awesome and I doubt you would be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:14:57 PM EST
huge thanks to everyone for their input, it is much appreciated
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:19:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By GRIFFIN_ARMAMENT:
We have a patent pending baffle system integrated into the Recce 7 that increases flow through the system while improving sound performance. The suppressors have pretty nominal backpressure, they are probably in the lower 20% of the market in that regard. With other suppressors causing more backpressure generation.

A lot of suppressors have poorly regulated flow. That causes them to be louder despite being more restrictive. There is a balance here, and I don't personally believe it is worth being several (3+) DB's louder in order to be better performing than the better 20% of the market (typically brands with a bad reputation for sound reduction) in that regard. At a point being loud will defeat the purpose of the item. Our products are consumer market products with a heavy influence of our own field experiences- we optimize them for the majority of end users. I would describe our suppressor as having well regulated system flow and being very optimized.
View Quote

it was suggested that i look at the 30SD from Griffin due to the amount of piston rifles i have, i like the fact that the suppressor can be removed and then then piston can easily be removed for service, thank you for your input
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:36:31 PM EST
As an owner of an omega and Recce 7 along with having shot the sandmans, it'd be hard to go wrong with any any of them. If I wanted super tough beat on it do it all can I'd go Recce 7 or sandman. Then it comes down to which type of mount you like better. Either are solid.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:35:33 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:53:25 AM EST

There are three baffle systems you could have shot. Serials 1-49 (first run production) don't have the patent baffle, and the mod 3 (cans just reaching the market) got a revision of the patent baffle that drops 556 from 135 to 132, and 300BLK from 126 to 123 while reducing weight to 17.3 ounces. You probably shot a first gen can.

I'm not saying the Omega isn't a good performer, but you wouldn't have made that observation of a newer Recce 7.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:
Based on shooting both and how the tone is, omega. The recce has a much higher pitch that is hard on my ears where the omega has a deeper tone and is easier on the ears. Ymmv.

There are three baffle systems you could have shot. Serials 1-49 (first run production) don't have the patent baffle, and the mod 3 (cans just reaching the market) got a revision of the patent baffle that drops 556 from 135 to 132, and 300BLK from 126 to 123 while reducing weight to 17.3 ounces. You probably shot a first gen can.

I'm not saying the Omega isn't a good performer, but you wouldn't have made that observation of a newer Recce 7.

are there any big differences between the Recce 7 and the SD30 other than the mounting options, i've been watching reviews and you guys videos, both look outstanding, but it's looking like the SD30 may have better mounting options for me due to the amount of piston rifles i have. i'll be going the Griffin route through the Silencer Shop, just need help with which one, thank you

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:28:44 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:36:19 PM EST
The 30SD has the same baffling as the mod 3 Recce 7. It has the obviously different mounting interface and it has the slotted tube which is better for cooling, but otherwise the Recce 7 and 30SD are similar.

View Quote

thank you, I will be ordering shortly
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:39:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2015 7:51:34 PM EST by NinjaZX6R]
Here's a short vid of a Mod 2 Recce 7 on my 6.8. To me it does not have a high pitched tone and it did not effect my accuracy one bit.

https://vimeo.com/135109596
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:16:52 AM EST
We have a patent pending baffle system integrated into the Recce 7 that increases flow through the system while improving sound performance. The suppressors have pretty nominal backpressure, they are probably in the lower 20% of the market in that regard. With other suppressors causing more backpressure generation.

A lot of suppressors have poorly regulated flow. That causes them to be louder despite being more restrictive. There is a balance here, and I don't personally believe it is worth being several (3+) DB's louder in order to be better performing than the better 20% of the market (typically brands with a bad reputation for sound reduction) in that regard. At a point being loud will defeat the purpose of the item. Our products are consumer market products with a heavy influence of our own field experiences- we optimize them for the majority of end users. I would describe our suppressor as having well regulated system flow and being very optimized.
View Quote

Agreed. Having tested the Recce 7 on an AR15 along with a bunch of other cans, at the ear it beat out the Specwar 762, Sig SRD762TI QD, and the Omega.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:19:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:
View Quote

Yeah, I'm guessing you may have shot an older generation because I just shot both with exactly the opposite reaction. The Omega is generally perceived as the highest pitched can by observers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:31:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By Mageever:

Agreed. Having tested the Recce 7 on an AR15 along with a bunch of other cans, at the ear it beat out the Specwar 762, Sig SRD762TI QD, and the Omega.
View All Quotes

I find that hard to believe. Not trying to insult anyone here, but looking at the volume and dimensions of the Sig vs recce7, looking at silencer shops 120db levels from their testing (which is lower than what Griffen says on their website), and considering I own a sig 762, the sig is quiet.
Now...what caliber and barrel are we talking???
Because I'm only running omega and sig on 300blk which is what they are for. I don't think comparing 300 cans on 556 is really useful, you should have a 556 can imo. Not too mention all 556 is loud, one of the reasons gemtech TREK-T and surefire are so liked by 556 users. Not really worth chasing dbs with 556. Blk on the other hand can get pretty quiet :)
Griffin may sound good to the ear, I've never use one, but I would be surprised if it was quieter. Maybe not noticeably different, but not quieter.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:04:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 9:44:48 AM EST by Active]
Again, not trying to cause issues, I would just be surprised (and excited) if the Griffin Recce 7 "beat" out the others. I actually have been looking at the Recce7 for a little while but just can't get myself to buy one. According to SilencerShop the Sig and Specwar are "quieter". Maybe to peoples ears they are different though..We will see..

Personally, they all have their pros and cons.
I like the Sig for the weight and mount, but its big.
Omega i love the weight, mount, and versatility. Not really any down sides.
Griffin is light and small (again don't own one but looks good from specs), but the mount in my opinion isn't really QD and I worry about those threads and getting the can off after lots of shooting. and it reminds me of ops inc which I'm not a fan of.

Recc7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQGDzcO-Lbo

Sig 762
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-n-77QDWUc

Specwar 762
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GHE-sZTG8Y

Sandman S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiYq0BdJg9I
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:44:36 AM EST
Originally Posted By Active:

I find that hard to believe. Not trying to insult anyone here, but looking at the volume and dimensions of the Sig vs recce7, looking at silencer shops 120db levels from their testing (which is lower than what Griffen says on their website), and considering I own a sig 762, the sig is quiet.
Because I'm only running omega and sig on 300blk which is what they are for. I don't think comparing 300 cans on 556 is really useful, you should have a 556 can imo. Not too mention all 556 is loud, one of the reasons gemtech TREK-T and surefire are so liked by 556 users. Not really worth chasing dbs with 556. Blk on the other hand can get pretty quiet :)
Griffin may sound good to the ear, I've never use one, but I would be surprised if it was quieter. Maybe not noticeably different, but not quieter.
View All Quotes

You don't have to believe me. I'm just stating what I measured at-ear with a 16" Daniel Defense carbine. It was over-gassed, had a light buffer, and was a loud platform to test on.

You'll find that many cans that meter pretty well at the muzzle, will be very loud at the ear beacause of the amount of back pressure they generate. Really high baffle count and and having the baffle stack right up against the muzzle device will usually mean high back pressure. All of these cans are pretty good, so it's hair splitting in most cases. There are some that I just don't like because of the back pressure, though, because as 7.62 cans they begin to sound like 5.56 cans.

Regarding 5.56 cans, I don't see a reason to ever buy one. A good 7.62 can will get very close to the muzzle numbers of the 5.56, and they have the ability to drop lower than the 5.56 at the ear. What good is a 134 dB 5.56 can if it's actually a 144 dB can at the ear?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:01:10 AM EST
wow, thanks for the additional info guys, i was wondering about the Sig cans
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:01:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/2/2015 3:05:31 PM EST by GRIFFIN_ARMAMENT]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:58:07 PM EST

You don't have to believe me. I'm just stating what I measured at-ear with a 16" Daniel Defense carbine. It was over-gassed, had a light buffer, and was a loud platform to test on.

You'll find that many cans that meter pretty well at the muzzle, will be very loud at the ear beacause of the amount of back pressure they generate. Really high baffle count and and having the baffle stack right up against the muzzle device will usually mean high back pressure. All of these cans are pretty good, so it's hair splitting in most cases. There are some that I just don't like because of the back pressure, though, because as 7.62 cans they begin to sound like 5.56 cans.

Regarding 5.56 cans, I don't see a reason to ever buy one. A good 7.62 can will get very close to the muzzle numbers of the 5.56, and they have the ability to drop lower than the 5.56 at the ear. What good is a 134 dB 5.56 can if it's actually a 144 dB can at the ear?
View All Quotes

Hey thats cool to know, more guys that offer good cans the better.
I agree with you on sound measurement with 556 we are splitting hairs, plus at the shooter vs people on the side will all hear different.
I guess it all depends on what your main use for the can is.

In terms of dedicated 556 can, you are right that nowadays they make a good light normal sized 762 can that can be used for everything. I guess I was more typing thinking about a couple years ago when you couldnt really get a decent sized/weight 762 can, so the dedicated 556 can was nice because they were generally smaller and lighter.

The omega has kind of crushed the M4-2000 and SDN6 all in one package.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:09:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/2/2015 4:14:30 PM EST by Active]

Did someone publish results on calibers other than 300BLK subsonic? Can you post a link? The Sig can does have good numbers for 300BLK subsonic. From what I understand that application was the focus of that suppressor development.

The military guys I've run into pretty universally liked the Ops mounting system. I never heard a bad story about it. Most of those guys would say the guns shot better with the cans on, and I didn't ever meet an Ops inc can user in the military who didn't run that gun with the can as an SOP.

View All Quotes

Did someone publish results on calibers other than 300BLK subsonic? Can you post a link? The Sig can does have good numbers for 300BLK subsonic. From what I understand that application was the focus of that suppressor development.

The military guys I've run into pretty universally liked the Ops mounting system. I never heard a bad story about it. Most of those guys would say the guns shot better with the cans on, and I didn't ever meet an Ops inc can user in the military who didn't run that gun with the can as an SOP.

I have not found anything on super sonic blk. I think they mainly do subs because it makes sense to use subs with blk. Honestly all of these cans probably sound good on their own anyway, its only when you start shooting them side by side people might notice.

Talking about the sig can, what did you guys think about making the Recce7 with a larger diameter? or would that change the pitch too much? The Sig is quiet but its big and ugly imo.

My experience with Ops Inc is they are good cans but not as "QD" as others. We have had issues removing them after putting some rounds through them. Plus, those threads are small (which isn't a huge deal because like you said normally these platforms are only shot suppressed) but, if I were to own a Recce7 I would prob buy the brake shield too and just always have something mounted to it. Im definitely interested in a recce7, I love the size of it and small mount, so please don't think I'm trying to bash it, I just worry a little more about the mount. personally I think its the best looking, if thats matters.

If you guys could do a video with sound equipment for 300 blk SBR that would be awesome! comparing Recce7 and Omega.
Not too worried about 556 comparison because 556 is all still loud enough so mount is more important to me.
I guess this all depends on what you're use is, I would buy a 762 can and NEVER put it on anything besides BLK.

Not in any way trying to insult anyone as I have no personal experience with you guys, just voicing some opinions, and thumbs up for entering the market with what seem like a good option. More options the better.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:28:23 PM EST
i posted earlier with a link to comparisons on what your looking for, i though it was pretty well done
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:17:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/2/2015 7:20:31 PM EST by Active]
i posted earlier with a link to comparisons on what your looking for, i though it was pretty well done
View Quote

If I'm looking at the right video, I didn't see any tests with super or subsonic 300blk.
Also that video seems to use the old recce7.
I don't understand why there aren't most tests with Blk. It's such an awesome round for these cans.

It would be good to see the new recce7 with omega with 300 Blk sbr super and subs. its so funny people keep comparing these on 308 and 556. BOTH 308 and 556 are loud anyway. All these cans will be about the same and all will need ears with 556.

PLEASE do some .308 cans with 300 blackout. Thats where these cans shine. do 110 supers, 108 and 220 subs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:11:26 PM EST
What is the durability difference between the Recce 7, Omega, and Sandman S? I have been really thinking about a Recce 7 at some point and of the SS videos it meters the quietest at the shooter's ear.

For me it would mostly be on a 556 but possibly a 308 also. I am interested in it also on an SPR build I want to do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:59:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2015 12:06:07 AM EST by Bigant]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
What is the durability difference between the Recce 7, Omega, and Sandman S? I have been really thinking about a Recce 7 at some point and of the SS videos it meters the quietest at the shooter's ear.

For me it would mostly be on a 556 but possibly a 308 also. I am interested in it also on an SPR build I want to do.
View Quote

The Sandman-S or Recce7 are the strongest, Omega is last out of the three you posted. Hell you can't shoot 6.8 or 6.5 Grendel out of the omega under a 16" barrel if you want to keep warranty. If you want to see how strong the Recce7 is look at the torture test they did with the Mod 1 or 2

Top Top