Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2003 3:32:22 PM EDT
I've been lurking on this board for a couple of weeks and decided to jump in with both feet. I've spent the last year or so acquiring a nice pistol collection (HK P7s and USPs, Glocks). I am totally new to long guns and figure it's time I got acquainted with them...and this looks like the place to learn.

Having said that, I'm ready to buy my first serious rifle (I inherited a Marlin .22 from my Dad). I want something that is accurate and of high quality right out of the box and believe that a Springfield M1A will fit the bill nicely. Since I highly doubt I will shoot competitively I think that a new "Loaded" model (MA9822) work work well for me. Any opinions on that??

My other question concerns mags. I want the mags (20rd) that will work best in the rifle I get, no aftermarket, but can I get something less expensive than the Springfield mags that cost $95 on their site? If I see new M14 mags can I also assume they will work in the M1A? And what makes a mag a USGI mag?

Sorry about all the questions but any advice is much appreciated. By the way, I am going to order Scott Duff's book to help get up to speed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome, Lots of good info at this site.
www.battlerifles.com
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome boxerfan,
         You'd be hard pressed to find a better rifle than a M1A, in any style.As for the mags well,Cole Distributing Inc. has the best price anywhere at $31.00 ea. if you buy 10 or $31.95 for less than 10.They have an ad in shotgun news.USGI mags are marked on the back (BRW,W,OM etc.) And they are the only ones to have when they gotta work every time.Here's their info. and have fun with it.
P.O.Box 247  Scottsville,Ky  42164  phone:270-622-3569
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top