Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/11/2005 6:25:18 PM EDT
Anyone shot any of this yet? I picked up a spam can of it last weekend from the North Store. Don't have a chrony, but it seems to be a bit hotter, seemed to cycle the bolt a bit harder. I've heard others say that it's also a bit more accurate, giving slightly tighter groups. I didn't notice anything here. Also seems to be a little dirtier than LC.

One thing I did have happen is that I shot 3 clips of it, and in all 3 clips I had a FTE or feed failure. The first clip did not eject the last cartridge and empty clip (pulled back on the op rod and they both kicked out), and on the other two I had (what seemed like) a round tried feeding in before the previous one ejected all the way. Haven't had any problems at all with the LC M2 that I've shot, about 1k rounds.

Also, the clips that the HXP are loaded in seem to have a little bit rougher texture to them. Is this just because they are still new? I've heard of some guys getting a couple rounds in each can that are rusted, didn't notice anything like this.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:15:24 AM EDT
Yes it is alittle warm, so was the HXP stuff imported a few years ago. Shouldn't be a problem in an M1 if you have a serviceable op-rod spring.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:33:16 AM EDT
I've shot 200 rounds of my first 240 spam can without incident. No FTF or FTE's. I plan on ordering more. My can's were marked from '68.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:06:31 AM EDT
The velocities of the HXP ammo seems warm compared to LC ammo only because the HXP ammo is actually up to GI specs velocity wise!! I crono'd my case of '69 HXP ammo and out of 10 rnds, it averaged 2750fps 20' from the muzzle. If you had a FTF or FTE make sure your gas system is ok and the rifle is greases properly......
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:24:56 PM EDT
Well, I gave the M1 a good cleaning, and greased it back up. Made sure I hit all the necessary grease points. Pulled the gas plug off, made sure the gas tube was clean and dry (not sure what else to look for here?).

Took it back out today, and the first 2 clips went fine. On the last round from the third clip, the op rod popped out of its guide, leaving the bolt locked closed. I popped the trigger guard, and that released enough pressure to allow the op rod to fall back in place and ejected the clip and last casing out.

What could have done this? From not seeing any problems with the ammo on other boards, what should I be looking at on the rifle that is causing me the issues?

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:35:38 PM EDT
The oprod tab sounds worn. You will have to check the width and height. Also, you may need a clip latch and spring. Orion 7 has them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:16:32 PM EDT
Yep, it not the ammo, it's your rifle. I have shot a bunch of the greek and it's good ammo. Just as good as LC
Top Top