Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 3:57:59 PM EDT
I saw a grease gun hanging on the wall in my shop today and got to wondering.  Has anyone made a big bore can using a grease gun body as the tube? They are pretty thick and are externally threaded on either end.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it could be achieved; the reservoir on a grease gun is rather stout, so I bet it could definitely take the abuse of full-auto fire. ; add threaded endcaps at both ends. I think it might be achievable...

And just because; here's a suppressed Grease Gun (courtesy of the Philippine Marines).

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#2]
For how cheap grease guns are, the tubing in most likely welded tubing. Should be good for rimfire, but not center fire. The other issue is finding off the shelf threaded end cap and muzzle cap.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For how cheap grease guns are, the tubing in most likely welded tubing. Should be good for rimfire, but not center fire. The other issue is finding off the shelf threaded end cap and muzzle cap.
View Quote

Could be.

OTOH, for a grease gun to work, it needs 1) a precision ground interior bore and 2) high PSI.  

OP might be on to something for a pistol can.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#4]
They come with two end caps.  One has a key hole in the center of it, and the other is often a cast zinc or aluminum pump head that coud be drilled and tapped.  Still do not know about the metal in the tube.  A few people have made exhaust pipe suppressors successfully without the weld failing when used on 223 rifles.  You do not need precision ground bores to make a suppressor, at most people are getting tubes with the middle turned on a lathe. To finish a exhaust tube suppressor you chase the bore last and make the holes a bit oversized.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
They are pretty thick steel. I have run over them and not crushed them. They are pretty large. Getting baffle material may be tough.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:55:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They are pretty thick steel. I have run over them and not crushed them. They are pretty large. Getting baffle material may be tough.
View Quote

Not crushing one with your car, is different than the outward psi from a 30 cal round.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:48:23 AM EDT
[#7]
They make cans out of flashlights... Why not a grease gun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They make cans out of flashlights... Why not a grease gun.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
It is all BS, you can use aluminum to make a centerfire rifle can. It was done back in the day, even for 50 cal cans.
Places in Europe still do it. The only limiting factor is that you can not abuse it like you would with a steel etc can.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is all BS, you can use aluminum to make a centerfire rifle can. It was done back in the day, even for 50 cal cans.
Places in Europe still do it. The only limiting factor is that you can not abuse it like you would with a steel etc can.
View Quote

Define abuse, 1 round every .5 sec, 1 sec, 5-10 sec between rounds? Bolt, only, semi, full auto.There's a line one should not cross when building an item that could hand grenade. Seriously injuring the shooter, or others near them.

What type of AL? That's the question. Telling people they can use Al and have an issue vs telling them the Al needed should be seamless, X or better.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I sent an e mail to Lincoln asking them materials and construction method of the tubes on their guns
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I can see this is becoming the "How cheap can we be?" thread.
Why not just buy some quality tubing or pipe?
They're are plenty of avenues one without machines can take. But, to revert to using, possibly, sub par materials with questionable quality standards. It doesn't make sense.

Soon we'll be using a rubber band and thumbtack to set off the primer
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can see this is becoming the "How cheap can we be?" thread.
Why not just buy some quality tubing or pipe?
They're are plenty of avenues one without machines can take. But, to revert to using, possibly, sub par materials with questionable quality standards. It doesn't make sense.

Soon we'll be using a rubber band and thumbtack to set off the primer
View Quote

Remember how cheap can we be is kinda how this whole form one can thing started here on ARF.com. I personally dont see how a grease gun could be any cheaper then a magligt tube.

I simply saw a grease gun and thought that it would be a way to get a larger diameter tube ready made. They are already threaded and have to be pretty square and true internally.

I'm not going to make a can from one, I don't have any way to machine endcaps or baffles. It was just a curious question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top