Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 4:48:55 PM EDT
I was given an already sporterized Springfield 1903 rifle from my father that was my grandfather's.  It actually was in pretty good shape, except the finish was worn and the walnut stock had a crack in it.  I sold the stock on ebay and ordered a Bell and Carlson stock, which fit like a glove...that is, except for the turned down bolt handle.  I realized that, although the rifle had a Lyman rear sight on it, someone had drilled and tapped the receiver for a scope base, and installed a turned down bolt handle.  Soooo....I carefully opened and deepened the groove for the bolt handle in the stock, which messed the camo finish of the stock up....so what did I do.....applied a pickup truck bedliner to the stock, which turned out really cool, but a little glossy.  I next had a gunsmith install a low scope safety and cut the barrel to 21" and recrown it.  I then ordered up a Redfield one piece scope base and rings for the rifle...and next she's getting a Duracoat paint job (stock, rifle, everything) done by Kyle Munson at www.guncoat.com....The rifle is going to become my favorite hunting rifle/brush gun......By the way, I shot 2 inch groups with this rifle with the Lyman sight at 100 yards, so I can't wait to see what I can do with it now that the barrel is freshly crowned and the rifle is scoped.  Here are two pics of the progression...and I will post a third pic when the Duracoat job is finished.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/numberonecopper/1903.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/numberonecopper/1903-two.jpg
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:49:08 AM EDT
[#1]
What is the serial number of your rifle?  If it is a Springfield Armory made ine with a serial number below 800,000, I would not shoot it.  The early serial numbered receivers had questionable heat treating.  most are fine, some are not.  If has a higher serial number or is made by anybody else, it is safe to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:33:55 AM EDT
[#2]
It is a high 800,000 number...the gunsmith that cut the barrel told me all about that problem and told me I had a great one to shoot.  I told him I would just get rid of the rifle as I am more into the tactical/precision type, but it was my grandfather's and I just couldn't do that.  The gunsmith told me, "then you have yourself a perfect hunting rifle".  Thanks for the thoughts though!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:46:31 AM EDT
[#3]
You may be surprised at it's accuracy.  My '03 Mark I is the only rifle that I can shoot clays at 200 yards with open sights with.  That's with standard M2 ball ammo.   It is certainly capable of bringing down any game in North America.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#4]
btt
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You may be surprised at it's accuracy.  My '03 Mark I is the only rifle that I can shoot clays at 200 yards with open sights with.  That's with standard M2 ball ammo.   It is certainly capable of bringing down any game in North America.  

That's me with my Garand.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow--this brings up an important question for me.

What kind of stocks are on the market for the 03A3 in the aftermarket?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wow--this brings up an important question for me.

What kind of stocks are on the market for the 03A3 in the aftermarket?

I think you are stuck with:
RAMLINE
BELL AND CARLSON
RICHARDS MICROFIT GUNSTOCKS
AND WHATEVER YOU CAN FIND ON EBAY OR GUNSHOWS

This is getting a Duracoat job done on Tuesday
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top