Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2013 6:21:43 AM EDT
I inherited this Savage model 99 from my wife's grandfathers estate. This gun has taken many dear and some elk. Has a nice old Leupold fixed scope up top.
When the grandfathers kids packed up the guns, they wrapped them all in a blanket at put them in a cold storage area. Needless to say, some damage did occur.

I've shot this many times over the 5 years of ownership. Took one dear but I'm mostly a bow hunter.

Enough history, can I fix the rust on the end of the barrel? Take it to a smith? The rest of the gun is really nice.
Thanks,

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's pitted then it's pitted. But either way, a little steel wool and touch up with some bluing... Shoot and enjoy.

How's the rifling?
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Stick  it ( the rust) in boiling water first, this will covert the red oxide( rust ) to black oxide (blue). This may protect you from ending up with bare spots.

Then steel wool and oil.

It's probably still going to have scale and pits.

If it looks narly, you'll have to sand it and touch up the blue.

And it'll still probably have pits.

Depends on how far you want to go to make it beautiful. ULtimataly I guess you could pay a gunsmith to remove the barrel, stick in a  lathe and cut past the pits and reblue, but that's probably more trouble than it's worth, and it likely won't match the rest of the gun.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If it's pitted then it's pitted. But either way, a little steel wool and touch up with some bluing... Shoot and enjoy.

How's the rifling?

Thanks guys, I'll look into DIY....I just want the gun to be 1) usable and 2) handed down
The rifling is just fine!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I cleaned up a shotgun barrel myself recently. I sanded the barrel and used ospho on the rust. Sanded with 100 grit, then 200 grit and then 400 and finally steel wool. I did the entire barrel. I reblued it and it looks fine. It was my first gun and will be my son's duck gun this fall.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are willing to go through the trouble, you can draw file the rust areas and then sand to blend in then rust blue the barrel.

Your best results in doing so will be to pull the barrel and completely re-blue the barrel.  Once again, I like rust blue as it s both, real blueing and actual DYI at home on the kitchen stove.

MLG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top