Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2013 1:22:45 PM EDT
I just started in reloading, but so far I've prepped 500 1X lake city cases (de-primed, sized, trimmed). I've been able to obtain 3 different powders and 3 different projectiles so far.
I'm taking my time and trying to learn everything I can before I actually load. When I do start I'll have a couple combinations I could use and I'm wondering if I could get some insight on these potential loads. The rifle firing them will be a LMT 16" carbine.

All primers will be Winchester small rifle (all I could find).

These are the powders I have:

Hogdon Varget 1 lb.
Hogdon 335 1 lb.
IMR 8208 XBR 3 lbs.

These are the bullets I have:

300 Hornady 75 gr. OTM w/cannelure
250 Hornady 55 gr. FMJ w/ cannelure
100 Nosler 62 gr. flat base Varmageddon

My goal is to produce rounds as accurate as reasonably possible and fairly hot, I know I'll need to work the loads up. The 55's will be for plinking, 62's for armadillos, possums etc. and the 75's for long range, self defense and maybe even a smallish South Georgia deer.

My question is, does anyone have any first hand experience with any of these bullet/powder combos, and what would you recommend?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
From memory... Not my notes, so double check before use:

25.0gr of H335 behind the 55gr pills was the plinking load I used to use.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Much appreciated, I'll have to dial it in some where south of there to start.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double check my suggestion in load manuals... It's been a while since I loaded any plinking 5.56... I did about 5K rounds sometime early this year.  Loaded a ton of different loads since then.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:04:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1)First thing, check a couple of your sized cases and ensure they chamber and extract easily.  

You don't want to post a "my 500 rounds I just loaded won't chamber" thread. It's happened.

2) Confirm any load data you get on the internet with published data. That goes for any load I may post.

3) What twist does your AR have? 1 in 9 may or may not stabilize the 75 gr bullets. Mine won't. So I don't load anything over 69 gr bullets.

4) All of those powders are good in an AR. I don't use Varget due it's poor measuring issues. CFE-223 and IMR-8208 XBR are both as accurate and measure well.

5) I have used many Win SR primers in my AR loads, they work fine. Just ensure to seat them .002 to .006 below flush. This is important and should be a QC step/inspection.

What I recommend is use the H-335 for the 55 gr FMJBT's, the IMR-8208 XBR for the 62 gr bullets and maybe the 75 gr if your twist will allow them. Put the Varget in the back of the cabinet.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just started in reloading, but so far I've prepped 500 1X lake city cases (de-primed, sized, trimmed). I've been able to obtain 3 different powders and 3 different projectiles so far.
I'm taking my time and trying to learn everything I can before I actually load. When I do start I'll have a couple combinations I could use and I'm wondering if I could get some insight on these potential loads. The rifle firing them will be a LMT 16" carbine.

All primers will be Winchester small rifle (all I could find).

These are the powders I have:

Hogdon Varget 1 lb.
Hogdon 335 1 lb.
IMR 8208 XBR 3 lbs.

These are the bullets I have:

300 Hornady 75 gr. OTM w/cannelure
250 Hornady 55 gr. FMJ w/ cannelure
100 Nosler 62 gr. flat base Varmageddon

My goal is to produce rounds as accurate as reasonably possible and fairly hot, I know I'll need to work the loads up. The 55's will be for plinking, 62's for armadillos, possums etc. and the 75's for long range, self defense and maybe even a smallish South Georgia deer.

My question is, does anyone have any first hand experience with any of these bullet/powder combos, and what would you recommend?

Thanks.

1)First thing, check a couple of your sized cases and ensure they chamber and extract easily.  

You don't want to post a "my 500 rounds I just loaded won't chamber" thread. It's happened.

2) Confirm any load data you get on the internet with published data. That goes for any load I may post.

3) What twist does your AR have? 1 in 9 may or may not stabilize the 75 gr bullets. Mine won't. So I don't load anything over 69 gr bullets.

4) All of those powders are good in an AR. I don't use Varget due it's poor measuring issues. CFE-223 and IMR-8208 XBR are both as accurate and measure well.

5) I have used many Win SR primers in my AR loads, they work fine. Just ensure to seat them .002 to .006 below flush. This is important and should be a QC step/inspection.

What I recommend is use the H-335 for the 55 gr FMJBT's, the IMR-8208 XBR for the 62 gr bullets and maybe the 75 gr if your twist will allow them. Put the Varget in the back of the cabinet.

^^^This^^^
Make sure your sized brass chambers and extracts with ease.  

Load data for all these powders can be found here.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I will add a few comments,

The Hornady 75gr BTHP is a "Match" "Target" bull;et and should not be used for hunting.

For the 75gr bullets I would Start with Varget.

BTW what is the twist of your rifle?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:13:35 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a 1 in 7 twist.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:06:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like they paired them well for you

I too would pair the 55 fmj's with the H335.  

The 62 grain bullets with either the varget or xbr.

The heavies might be best with the varget.   I normally use RL15 or H4895 but have used Varget with no issues.  Generally I just stayed away from varget for the most part from the old issues of varying lots years ago and the fact that it tends to be one of the first to disappear from the shelves.  Why have great go to loads when you can't find the powder?  Lots of other good powders to use that don't (normally) vanish as fast.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:30:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I was under the impression the 75 gr hornady otm rounds had very good terminal performance,  I figured with good fragmentation they'd take a deer pretty well. Am I wrong? If so what would I use for deer?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was under the impression the 75 gr hornady otm rounds had very good terminal performance,  I figured with good fragmentation they'd take a deer pretty well. Am I wrong? If so what would I use for deer?
View Quote

I don't hunt deer with my 223, so I have no first hand experience with it.  If I were ti hunt deer with my 223 I would choose a Hunting bullet not a Match or Varmint bullet.  My first choice would be Nosler's New Bonded 224 bullet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/130769/nosler-bonded-performance-bullets-22-caliber-224-diameter-64-grain-spitzer-solid-base-box-of-100

If that didn't shoot well I would try one of these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=20574

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=20581
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:53:29 AM EDT
[#12]
"so far I've prepped 500 1X lake city cases "

Surprised no one has mentioned primer crimps yet.

Primers are crimped into Lake City cases and will need to be removed before reloading.

Someone will be along to post a photo of what a primer crimp looks like.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:54:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Well I don't have anything to remove them at the moment, I tried loading ten primers with crimps still in place and had no issues with dead primers etc.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Decided against trying my luck with the lake city and just loaded my first 75's with winchester and pmc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top