Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2002 8:06:04 PM EDT
I was surprised to get it this quick.  I was told to check back every thirty days to check on estimated delivery time.  I my check was cashed on the 15th of Oct. and the rifle arrived on the 1st of November.  WOW, is all I can say.  I had been told to expect to wait for months by some, including the CMP who said 113 rifle orders were ahead of mine(they turn out a lot more than I thought in that case).  The condition is quite good.  Overall, I would say 70%, maybe.  The bore is clean and the muzzle looks like its in good shape.  It is in the 5,000,000 range. The barrel looks like it may be from '66.  It is a SA Danish issue with the VAR barrel.  I noticed the rear elevation knob also carries the VAR stamp.  I still don't know what VAR stands for.  I will write the CMP for help on that one.  Gonna clean it tonight and sight it in tomorrow morning.  I bought two cases of Dane ammo, I thought it would be fitting and the price was right.  Gonna have some fun!    
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Go over to the M-1 board www.jouster.com and ask over there lots of people who know their way around M-1's lots of info... I got my M-1 last month,(an S.G. S.A.made in june, 45, with the orginial bbl,(in excellent shape) lockbar rear sights, orginial uncut op-rod, what a sweetheart!) these are as addicting as AR's,VAR barrels are considered to very well made and very accurate, you may be in for a real treat.. make sure rifle is tight in stock,one of the keys to accuracy with a M-1 (grab the bbl and pull, and see if you can detect any movement, forward and back, side to side, of the action in the stock, front handguard is supposed to be a little loose so, don't worry about it, trigger group lockup should be tight as well,triggerguard should start to lockup  just above the trigger, if not, it can (and often will be on Danes,) shimmed to tighten it up, anyway, go ask around over at the M-1 board they'll be happy tp help...I know I'm going to order another sometime after the first of the year,
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Rifle sounds nice, the VAR barrells are supposed to be damn accurate. Apparently many of them are brand new, as in rebarrelled at the arsenal and put in storage. The jouster site is THE site for Garand info. And they are addictive, pretty soon you'll be like everyone elso trying to figure out how to pay for your Garanditis.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I will check out that site.  Thanks. I took it to the range today and to my surprise it was a very target rich environment, PUMPKINS A PLENTY.  Some guy brought a pickup full of em and let me have as many as I wanted.  I had let his kids shoot the M1 earlier and he was real happy about that.  As for the M1, I used some of the Danish issue rounds and some CMP match ammo.  I had some of my best groups ever with the Dane ammo in my Ruger M77 bolt gun.  About 3 inches at 200yds.  I had a rough time getting a decent group at 200 yds with the Garand though.   I don't like the sites on this one.  I think I'll blacken them next time. It did really good at about 100yds on 10" pumpkins though.  Functioned flawlessly.  The sling needs to be replaced soon.  Noticed the stock SN matches the receiver too.  I think I have a winner, just need to tweek a little.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on the new rifle. Sounds like you got a good one. What kind of problems are you having with accuracy? In addition to checking for stock fit, as suggested above, you might want to check the rear sight. Crank it about halfway up, and if you can push down on it with your thumb, you need to tighten the elevation screw.

Is the stock number in the barrel channel or on the buttstock? I've heard the Dane's sometimes stamped the buttstock with the receiver's seriel number during rebuilds.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah TEA, I did do the thumb push test on the rear aperture.  It did need to be tighted but I did that before I shot it.  I didn't know about the Danes stamping the stock during rebuilds.  It is on the bottom of the buttstock.  I'll check inside again.  Back to the rear sight again, I notice the peep hole is not perfectly round and is a little ragged.  I think I'll get a set of NM sights from Fulton Armory.  Thanks for the assist.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]
the aperture is a tough piece of metal... as is the rest of the weapon... you probably have a hardened, dried chunk of cosmoline inside it....
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Hows the stick fit and lock up? Have you gone over to www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/garand/garand.pl to ask about it? They've got a lot of very knowledgable folks over there. If anyone can help you wring out a bit more accuracy from your rifle, the guys like Gus Fisher over there can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top