Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2002 7:37:35 PM EDT
OOO yea.

After playing around for a couple of clips I got serious.

I shot 50 South African M193's (stamped 86) @ 100 yards.

Results were AWESOME!!
I wasn't using sandbags, just a piece of wood with carpet on top (cheap rifle range) to rest the handgaurds on.

46 out of 50 in bullseye!
Bullseye is 4" in diameter.
25 were in perfectly in center @ 1"!

Guy next to me is active army reserve and he said thats really good, especially for being first time @ the range.

I'm really excited and loving my Bushy more and more day by day!  

Iron sights all the way baby!!

I think these results made my mind up to leave Irons on my 20" bushy, I'll buy an M4gery to mount Aimpoint.

I'm finally now realizing why you guys own more then one Ar-15, before I didn't understand.

Later Guys
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the club!  Before you know it you will be wondering how you got by with only 2 ARs.

By the way - might want to change "clips" to "magazines" before the nazis read it
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow I thought I was the only one on this board still using irons only.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Nope. Some of us can't afford scope mounts.

Some of us really need to get a job.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I borrowed an Aimpoint ML2 from Ronin45 while at Blackwater, but I'm still basically a Iron Sights guy.  I was happy to hit an steel plate at 400 yards with the Irons.  In NY Metro area 200 yards is the longest range locally.  The day before we were shooting paper at 100-200 then 300 yards.  I was using the Aimpoint that day, tight groupings up to 200 yards.  At 300 I was all over the place.  I wish I brought my cary handle that day.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. Some of us can't afford scope mounts.

Some of us really need to get a job.

Got the dough, just not the drive to get a Aimpoint.

I think I'm a lost breed, I just turned 23 and I'm keeping my Irons, Heh.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
no matter what you do, don't let anyone lend you an M-16. I was real satisfied with my AR-15 til last weekend a very nice person let me try his M-16. I can't afford one, but I realize now that it is essential that I get one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:27:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm the same way with iron sites.  The range I use is small enough that scopes make shooting too easy.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who prefers iron sites.

Brad
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#8]
too late on that, I started on a m4a1

I use both irons and scopes

irons for fun

scope when actually tring to hit somthing
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

LotBoy still uses irons only.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I borrowed an Aimpoint ML2 from Ronin45 while at Blackwater, but I'm still basically a Iron Sights guy.  I was happy to hit an steel plate at 400 yards with the Irons.  In NY Metro area 200 yards is the longest range locally.  The day before we were shooting paper at 100-200 then 300 yards.  I was using the Aimpoint that day, tight groupings up to 200 yards.  At 300 I was all over the place.  I wish I brought my cary handle that day.

Maybe it was the Radway Green that wasn't that accurate out to 300.  I've heard that a couple times.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
After playing around for a couple of clips I got serious.

Okay, here is a picture of a clip of 10 rounds being loaded into a magazine.

Any questions?

- the Nazi

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#12]
and you can buy Clips from Wu's.

www.angelfire.com/on2/PandaWeb/wupage.html
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
no matter what you do, don't let anyone lend you an M-16. I was real satisfied with my AR-15 til last weekend a very nice person let me try his M-16. I can't afford one, but I realize now that it is essential that I get one.

just wondering......., does an M-16 require the $200 tax stamp ?? is that considered class III ??
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Irons only.   Colt Sporter match hbar...
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Troy,

no kidding ?? pocket change............ i'll get one when i win my next lottery.......

and when ya look at the news clips in different parts of the world, ya see these kids & men carrying M-16's, do ya spoze they paid $5,000 for their rifles ?????

and this is a free country.................
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 6:02:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Irons only here, for now anyways.  Love going to the range and busting 4 or 5 clay pigeons in a row at 100 yds... that gets some looks!!  Always credit the rifle, so I have probably sent more than one shooter home thinking he needs an AR !!

I want others to have this crazy obsession too...
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Troy,

and when ya look at the news clips in different parts of the world, ya see these kids & men carrying M-16's, do ya spoze they paid $5,000 for their rifles ?????

and this is a free country.................

Well I think that colt exports them...

I'm pretty sure that they just pay $700 (or whatever an m-16 costs to manufacture, can't be too far off rom ar-15's right?).

Wait, now when I re-read your post I'm picking up some sarcasm. =)
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I have two mounts, one with a Holo and one with a 9x. I use the 9x to test loads with a rest and the holo for friends/wife to shoot.
Otherwise? Iron.

I did buy a lower from Pete. I will try to get a 16" upper at the BRC to hold the holo full time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#20]
MurderSHO45 you should be able to take it out to 500 yds and hit a man size target.

Trust me it can and will do it.

The Army qualifies their soldiers at 300 yds, but in the Marine Corps we bring it out to 500 yds iron sights.

There is nothing more satisfying when your target goes down to get marked and you get a shot dead center of the target.

Make sure you use a sling and shoot from the prone.  There is no way you could do it off hand.

Pick up John Plaster's book "Ultimate Sniper".
It has a lot of good info on long range shooting.

Max
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep, real men shoot with irons.  It's just a hell of a lot more fun.  Use scopes on bolt actions for sniper training, the AR is a battle rifle meant for irons.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I still use irons myself.

Hey Philadelphia Gunman...what part of Philly are you from? I'm a Northeaster...
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Irons on the DPMS and Scope/Irons on the Bushy. I don't trust scopes enough to go without iron sights.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Yep, real men shoot with irons.  It's just a hell of a lot more fun.  (snip)
Mike

Aaaaaa-men! You betcha!

Of course, for REAL fun, shoot at the same targets 100 yds or further away, with iron sights, using a big bore flintlock rifle.

Offhand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top