Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/7/2002 11:24:36 PM EST
Last night I was working on the computer, when I heard a weird gravelling noise in the yard. Are cat is brought in at night, and to mys surprise their was this medium sized opossom eating the cat kibble out of my cat's outdoor dish. I went to grap my airgun out of the garage, but it was already in the bushes by the time I had a chance to open my yard door. Because I live in city limits, if I chose to use a .22, is there a manufacturer that produces a .22 round that is quiet and effective against these useless, ugly creatures?
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:25:54 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:41:47 AM EST
Why yes there is..

Augilla makes a light weight low velocity quiet .22 bullet. It's called the super colbri. I bought a brick for the same purposes you mentioned. I don't use it in my rifle because it slows down too much in the rifle barrel. I shoot it out of a .22 revolver. It isn't powerful enough to cycle the action of a semi-auto. THe same company also makes a SSS round that is sub-sonic with a 60 grn bullet it is supposed to be a little quiter than a standard high velocity round and very powerful. I haven't tried the SSS stuff yet.

When it's this close to the fourth of july I don't worry about the sound of a .22.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:54:04 AM EST
There's a thing called a "22 CAP". I understand that it's a .22 round with no gun powder in the case: it only has a live primer. Not sure if it'll kill anything but maybe sting the oppossum a bit.

If you find these and use them, do let me/the board know how they worked. However, before you do anything, check about firing a gun within city limits. You may have to use a sling shot.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:08:10 AM EST
CCI "CB" loads - I pop rodents with 'em all the time and they are as quiet as or more quiet then my airgun. - Just be sure you hit 'em in the head - I used to Opossum and Racoon hunt all the time when I was a kid, and you can fill those buggers with .22 HP's if you gut-shoot em before the walk away.

Tony
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 12:12:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By Part-time Pork:
Last night I was working on the computer, when I heard a weird gravelling noise in the yard. Are cat is brought in at night, and to mys surprise their was this medium sized opossom eating the cat kibble out of my cat's outdoor dish. I went to grap my airgun out of the garage, but it was already in the bushes by the time I had a chance to open my yard door. Because I live in city limits, if I chose to use a .22, is there a manufacturer that produces a .22 round that is quiet and effective against these useless, ugly creatures?

Aguila Colibris and CCI CB caps are very quiet but IMHO lack the effectiveness to reliably put down a Possum unless you have them trapped and even then I think the Colibris are not up to the task.

I have shot a few Possums with the Aguila 60gr SSS which is also fairly quiet and have had to put a second shot into them to put them down quickly and humanely.

I would recommend a box trap type trap baited with old sandwich meat or some other odorous type meat to bring in the Possums and then give 'em the coup de grace with your .22 loaded with either the SSS or CCI CB caps directly into the top of the skull.

I have seen the Colibris bounce of the skull of 'coons and G'hogs.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 12:49:49 PM EST
Just last week I caught 4 'coons in a live trap. Damn things were eating all our cat food and ripping our trash apart. I put our cats in the garage so I wouldn't waste my one chance a night. If you have a cat sitting in the trap, the 'coon can just walk on by to the catfood.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 3:47:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By M4Madness:
Just last week I caught 4 'coons in a live trap. Damn things were eating all our cat food and ripping our trash apart. I put our cats in the garage so I wouldn't waste my one chance a night. If you have a cat sitting in the trap, the 'coon can just walk on by to the catfood.

When I started trapping I was getting quite a few cats, about 2 or 3 a week with 3 different traps and had a couple that were repeat customers. The wife and son are a bit squeamish about me offing Fluffy so I decided to use one thing cats hate:

Water

When I trapped a cat I would take the trap over to the outdoor spigot place the trap under it, turn the water on and hold the trap so the kitty got the full effect for about 2 minutes. Nothing but a vapor trail when the cage door was opened.

I haven't caught a cat in a long time.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:10:59 PM EST
Trap it, then shoot it. No rush, no possom
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 10:02:00 AM EST
Don't use Colibris on a 'possum. Been there, done that. A shot at point blank between the eyes. He shook it off and ran. He did die later, I found the body. But it ain't quick or sure. A good hi-power pellet rifle would be better. Trap & drown - better still.
I popped a raccoon with a paintball once. He never came back. Didn't know they could run that fast!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 10:11:04 AM EST
If you have a single shot rifle or a revolver in .22lr you can use .22 shorts. They are real quiet and have enough power to put down a small animal by means of a headshot at somewhat close range.
Top Top