Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 6:03:20 PM EDT
I guess this is the right forum? M1 right ?

Anyway my dad has an old M1 Carbine he bought from an old man that was in WWII. The thing is it has the words "INLAND DIV." Or maybe "INLAND DIVISION" can't remember right now. But one of the two printed on the reciever, like it was factory made.

Did anybody ever run across any Carbines that have any similar markings? Info would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#1]
original WWII makers: IBM, Underwood, Saginaw, Inland, Winchester, Quality Hardware, Nat'l Postal Meter, Irwin-Pedersen, Rockola,or Stnadard Products.

here's the best board I've found on M1 carbines:
www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/carbine/carbine.pl?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:35:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Inland Division of General Motors was IIRC the most prolific maker of carbines--they made more than anyone else, and they're the most commonly encountered today.

So to answer your specific question, yes, we've seen those markings before.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:59:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Inland made something like 2 million carbines during WW2. The next biggest manufacturer was Winchester at something like 850,000.

Watch yourself around Carbine collectors. They tend to be...different.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got one of em too...'44
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 1943, and it is a great little shooter
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yep, Inland Division, General Motors.  I have a '43 as well.  Awesome little rifle.

I got an Inland too. Where can I check what year it was made?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#8]
No way!
I thought mine was the only one!
Beautiful little rifles, aren't they?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top