Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2011 3:06:23 AM EDT
Hey all I just got into the 50bmg game yesterday, I traded off a ATV I never use any more and got a .50BMG Bohica MKIII, bassicly a 50bmg upper that mounts to a standard AR15 lower. I know its not a Barrett but it is what it is, my question is about the ammo. With the trade I was given 25 rounds of ammo, 10 have a black tip 15 have a silver tip. now correct me if im wrong but black tip means armor piercing and silver is armor piercing tracer right?  If thats the case I'm just gonna stash these bad boys away until Z-day and get some standard FMJs to shoot off

heres a few pics

Link Posted: 6/9/2011 5:18:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 5:40:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The silver tipped ones are just armor piercing incendiary, if it had red and silver it would be APIT.

From the looks of it, your ammo is reloads of some type so be sure that you trust it or pulll them apart and reload them yourself. First rule of reloads is to never shoot someone elses reloads unless you were present when they were loaded. Just remember that your head is sitting next to what amounts to a grenade and if it goes off the results won't be pretty. So err on the side of caution and you'll live to shoot another day.

Ok so the next question is are armor piercing rounds legal to own?
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The silver tipped ones are just armor piercing incendiary, if it had red and silver it would be APIT.

From the looks of it, your ammo is reloads of some type so be sure that you trust it or pulll them apart and reload them yourself. First rule of reloads is to never shoot someone elses reloads unless you were present when they were loaded. Just remember that your head is sitting next to what amounts to a grenade and if it goes off the results won't be pretty. So err on the side of caution and you'll live to shoot another day.

Ok so the next question is are armor piercing rounds legal to own?

all depends on the state
but YES in most states they are
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Only range I can shoot at here is an outdoor range targets are the ones you bring and thr back stop is a 50 foot tall sand bank, and it not managed so no one really to stop you from shooting
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The brass casings on the Black Tip AP rounds looks really funky. Anyone else noticed it or is it my tired eyes distorting my comprehension of what I am looking at?
BTW, congrats on your new toy!
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The brass casings on the Black Tip AP rounds looks really funky. Anyone else noticed it or is it my tired eyes distorting my comprehension of what I am looking at?

I was wondering the same thing but it looks like it may just be fingerprint smudges.

Link Posted: 6/9/2011 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Xringlover,

good call. I went back up and looked at the picture. Your right, from what I think I am seeing. Looks like someone tried to anneal the cases and started to melt the case. Look at how black those necks are. And the brass below the shoulder to about half of the way down look like it has been slagged. If those cases are actually not smooth, but bubblely. I would break down the projectile and case. Save projectile and pitch the rest (powder, case and primer).
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#9]
i have to admit those are some scarey looking cases from that picture
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#10]
On those black-tips; is the cannalure supposed to be that far out of the case mouth?  Thought the cannalure should be right at the mouth?
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

First thing I noticed too... looks like somebody loaded those cases with a hammer...

Like the OP, I too need some help with ammo... I can't stop loading these empty brass!

- Clint
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

First thing I noticed too... looks like somebody loaded those cases with a hammer...

Like the OP, I too need some help with ammo... I can't stop loading these empty brass!

http://i56.tinypic.com/25516hs.jpg

- Clint

Someone has way to much time and money on their hands. But I do like!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I just put some up for sale on EE
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#14]
You will find that CBC and Winchester brass will usually function better in your Bohica.  I shoot a lot of API rounds and those were pulled from Government stock the same as mine.  The Black tip have me worried.  I've had a 30" Bohica for 2.5 years now and love it.  Just watch your back stop with thosoe API rounds.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i56.tinypic.com/25516hs.jpg

- Clint

Very nice! Very Nice!

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#16]
stop loading it and start shooting it!!! post some video
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#17]
So glad I scored all that LC AP at .85 cents a round in the early 90's. What an investment if I decided to sell my .50s
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
stop loading it and start shooting it!!! post some video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApcJjgQ-hl4

- Clint

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So glad I scored all that LC AP at .85 cents a round in the early 90's. What an investment if I decided to sell my .50s

Pics??  A 50 BMG ammo fort would be
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Only range I can shoot at here is an outdoor range targets are the ones you bring and thr back stop is a 50 foot tall sand bank, and it not managed so no one really to stop you from shooting

Evile you have any info for another range in FL ???  besides manatee gun club for shooting a 50cal.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top