Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2002 4:23:38 PM EDT
I went to the Bill Goodman gunshow today at the Nashville fairgrounds. It was very disappointing. There wasn't very many venders there and not very many people.

I did at least trade my Desert Eagle 44 mag for a Franchi Spas 12. I'm not sure how much the preban spas 12 with over folding stock runs for but I hear its around $1100 to $1200. Is this about right?

I traded my pistol for his shotgun and $50 bucks. Is this a decent deal?

Are there any good websight around for the Spas 12? I've only found one. Most are for airsoft guns.

I did find out one thing though. I tried it out when I got home. I fired great in pump action but it wouldn't cycle in semi auto. I was pissed and thought I had gotten screwed until at the websight I found it said you have to shoot a hot load in them to get them to cycle in semi. They said alot of people thinks thier gun is broke but thier using too soft a load.

I was using 2 3/4 number 6 shot. I'm gonna buy some 00 buck and try that out.

Does anyone here have a Spas 12? I'd appreciate any info or advice on this shotgun.

What are the pros and cons to this shotgun?

Are there any accessories you can put on them? I love dressing up a gun.

One thing I want is the hook for the folding stock, it didn't come with one.

Oh yeah one more question, all you have to do to fire it in semi is push the button on the bottom of the forend and move it forward isn't it? I'd feel like an idiot if I'm doing it wrong..LOL
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You dog you! That's a awesome shotgun! Wish I had one. You made a good trade. The Desert Eagle is pretty worthless if you ask me. Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I currently have one with the folding stock. Actually, I used to have the fixed-stock version as well back in the late '80's.

To answer some of your questions:

I have seen them advertised for as high as $1500.

The SPAS-12 came in many, many different configurations. There are 5 main features to this shotgun, and one can have any combination of these features. Obviously, a full-feature model will command a higher price than one with less than all 5 of these features. The 5 features are:
1. Folding stock
2. Hook for folding stock version
3. Mag extension
4. Push button safety (the lever-type safety version was recalled for safety reasons)
5. Forward front sight (some front sights were closer to receiver than barrel end)
Mine has all 5 of the desired features.

These shotguns have a high "coolness" factor and some collector value, as they were banned from importation in '89. They are heavy and bulky, but do have some advantages. You can switch loads "midstream" with a loaded mag without having to empty the mag tube first. You can use the pump-action setting for light loads that will not cycle on semi-auto setting. To switch from pump to semi-auto, you press the button on the bottom of the forearm and slide the forearm forward. There are marks on the side of the heat shield indicating what mode it is engaged in. Mine has been fired very little and is a little stiff going into semi-auto mode. I have to push the forearm forward very forcibly to engage and lock it in place.

As for accessories, there were a few different barrel attachments offered (chokes, diverters, and even a launcher for teargas canisters). I do not know how readily available these are now.

As for replacement parts, try Carlson's.

The only website I know of dedicated to the Franchi SPAS-12 is SPAS12.COM. It is probably the same site you referred to.

I hope that I have helped you out somewhat.

Link Posted: 6/2/2002 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#3]
WhiskyBravo yeah the Desert Eagle just isn't a pistol I would stake my life on. It would jam about every 3 shots before I got new springs for it. Its sad a gun will not work properly considering I bought it new. Even after the new springs were intalled I wouldn't have bet my life it would work when I needed it.

M4Madness thanks for all the information. Mine has all the same accessories as your except the hook on the stock.
1. Folding stock
2. 8 shot mag extension
3. push button safety
4. forward front sight
5. threaded barrel (I was told for chokes)

As far as shotguns go it is deffinatly one of the coolest looking ones and very intimidating.

The webpage you gave me was the same one I went to. It seems thats the only one I can find so far but I'm gonna keep looking.

I would like to order a hook for mine and maybe a choke.

What was the diverter that you refered to? Is that something like a muzzle brake?

Thanks for the help. I guess I got a pretty good deal and I'm happy with it. Its in great shape. It looks new except there is a little wear on the receiver from the pump moving back and forth and some wear on the butt of the stock wear it folds down for your shoulder. Other than that it looks new.

If I find anymore webpages for the Spas 12 I'll let ya know.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a friend selling one. Fold over hook stock with barrel extension. Used but working fine. Good shape. He wants $1200.00 but might take a trade. He's [email protected]

Edited to make address clickable
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 2:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]
You got a kickass deal!!! you lucky bastard, Ive never even seen one in person.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Used to have the folding stock version with the hook. Money/value-wise...I'm sorry to have sold. But what a pain to lug around. BTW...I strongly advise against "flashing" a weapon to stop trouble, but I bought the SPAS (partly) to head off possible boardings while sail cruising in the Bahama Out Islands back in early-mid '80s. Serious intimidation factor. Sounds like you got a deal.   Enjoy and Stay safe
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice.

But wasn't this the shotgun that was listed by the ATF as a DD.... (if not, what was it then???)  Something it had to be registered w/ them by a certain date...

Or was that the one that the shotgun looked like the AR... detachable mag?

Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#8]
kaliburz, your thinking of the SPAS 15. Thats the one with the detachable mag. The SPAS 12 is legal to own.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#9]
heres a pic of one

Link Posted: 6/30/2002 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Nice.

But wasn't this the shotgun that was listed by the ATF as a DD.... (if not, what was it then???)  Something it had to be registered w/ them by a certain date...

The Franchi SPAS-12 was not one of them. I know that the USAS-12 IS on the list. I'm not sure about the Franchi SPAS-15.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to the club.  I have all the features plus the pistol grip stock.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one also, not the easiest handling shotgun, but has a high coolness factor

Mine has never had any problems cycling in semi-auto. Standard Fiochci (sp?) 7 shot works just fine for me!

Edited to add: Congrats on the buy! Make sure you find the "Duck plug" for it, great little item to have.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought one in 1985 for $375.  It's serial number was something like 000003.  I liked it and had no problems with it at all.  It left me when used for a partial trade for a Beretta AR-70.  I bought another one in 1988 but sold it when I needed to finance a Galil purchase (in 1988 also).  I like the shotguns.  The SPAS-12s with the fixed synth stock are much lighter though.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Those things are killer looking.I remember seeing them in Jurassic Park.How heavy are they?
Is the country of origin and manufacturer France??!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:12:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Those things are killer looking.I remember seeing them in Jurassic Park.How heavy are they?
Is the country of origin and manufacturer France??!!

They are From Italy, they weigh 9 pounds 10oz empty.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Whew!Thats pretty stout.I didn't think anything that cool could come outta France.:0)
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:52:49 AM EDT
[#17]
FAMAS??
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice.

The Franchi SPAS-12 was not one of them. I know that the USAS-12 IS on the list. I'm not sure about the Franchi SPAS-15.

The USAS-12, Striker, and Streetsweeper are considered Destructive Devices.

Here's the scoop:  The ATF reclassified a bunch of otherwise legal (though "assault-ish") shotguns as destructive devices due to their 'non-sporting characteristics.'  You see, any firearm with a bore of over half an inch is considered a destructive device; the class of mortars, grenades, etc.  Yup, the 12ga is definitely over half an inch for bore size.  An exception is made for "sporting shotguns."  The "sporting" is what caused the trouble.

Why those three?  The USAS-12 lost out because it could take detachable magazines (8 and 10 round stick mags existed) and a drum (20 rounds).  The Streetsweeper lost out because of it's capacity (12 round drum, I believe), because it was cheap and high on the most-traced guns list, and (this can be debated) because it was a Cobray product.  The Striker was tossed in because it was so similar to the Streetsweeper, though much more expensive and of better quality.

The SPAS-15 was not included because only 351 made it through customs before the ban of 1989.  (A good second guess is that because of their rarity, the ATF official who drew up the list hadn't heard of them.)  

No tube fed shotgun (SPAS-12, for example) made it to the Destructive Device list.

Pump shotguns, box fed or otherwise, never made it on to the radar screen due to their relative unpopularity at that time.  (Plus, pump guns aren't covered by the assault weapons ban.)

Now, here's more food for thought.....  A 12ga shotgun is considered a long gun.  A long gun is a shoulder-fired weapon.  Exemptions are made for "sporting shotguns."

What about pistol-gripped 12ga shotguns?  They're not shoulder-fired...  They probably couldn't pass a "sporting uses" test unless a full stock were attached.....  They already transfer as pistols by ATF regulations, as they don't meet the definition of a long gun.....  

Any other item that's classified as a pistol, if it were to have over a half an inch bore, would be considered a Destructive Device..........

Can anyone else see possible trouble down the road?  

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top