Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 4:10:42 PM EDT
Today, I went to the gunshow and got a Winchester 1897 Riot gun fora good deal. The barrel and the reciever have matching serial numbers and from the research I did, it was made in 1907.

I can't wait to take it to the trap range.

Who else owns an 1897, and what are some stories or details about it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
 That is one beeootiful shotgun.  I'd say it's a keeper.     It has nice butt wood, and still has some dark blueing on it.  

I couldn't afford a riot gun, so I carefully bubba'd the ugliest of mine to break into two equal lengths.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd love to own an original winchester!  All I have is a damn norinco, it is the best pump shotgun I own, but I want a winchester.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got 2:
#1 is a barn fresh ~1902 solid frame 32" 12g.  Steel buttplate , no shell release buttons on side of frame.
Looks like it's spent it's life stored in some farmers barn for pest control.  Uuuugly speckled finish, wood dark & grungy & I used 2 whole cans of carb cleaner to ungum the action....so grimy that the extractor spring was stuck in the compressed position, allowing the extractor to just fall out.  Probably hadn't been cleaned since it before WW2.  Barrel needed a slight hone to smooth out also.

#2 is a ~1917 take down 30" 12g.  Finish is a smooth but blueing is mostly gone, wood in ok shape, solid hard rubber buttplate.  Only thing it needed was I replaced the takedown collar to tighten her back up.  I've thought about replacing the stock, the original is too thin in the wrist for my liking & a recoil pad would be nice.  A shorter barrel would be nice, esp since it's a take-down model..it'd fit real handy in a tool box or such (low profile when taking it out to the car as to not alarm sheeple neighbors).
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Good find.

The Winchester M97 is my favorite pump shotgun.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I fired it for the first time today. I'm guessing it was used for cowboy action shooting before I got it because there was a magazine plug in it that limited the capacity to 2 rounds. I'm working on taking the plug out, but the thing is so dirty, it takes a lot of oil and lubricant to get the screws moving again.

The thing knocks you pretty good when you fire it, I'll tell you that right now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Mind if I ask how much?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mind if I ask how much?

$410
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How did it work for trap? I have a 97 trench (repro) that I'd like to try, but I have no idea what the pattern on that thing looks like. I don't mind being the only moron at the range without a $1500 O/U, but I'd like to be able to hit something.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mind if I ask how much?

$410

You stole it didn't you very good price. I would have paid that and more if I could find a riot.

I have 3 takedowns a 30"made in 1918, 28" made in 1899 and a 26" made in 1907

I really want a riot to round off the collection though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did it work for trap? I have a 97 trench (repro) that I'd like to try, but I have no idea what the pattern on that thing looks like. I don't mind being the only moron at the range without a $1500 O/U, but I'd like to be able to hit something.

I haven't gone yet, but the pattern ius just like my 870.

I've never done trap before, I just thught it would be something fun to try.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Today, I went to the gunshow and got a Winchester 1897 Riot gun fora good deal. The barrel and the reciever have matching serial numbers and from the research I did, it was made in 1907.

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/Beefypeanut/IMG_0228.jpg

Who else owns an 1897, and what are some stories or details about it?

I don't think you can stop a riot with that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top