Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2013 9:20:20 PM EDT
Hello, figured I'd pick your brains on something I'm looking to do on my rifle and PVS-14 for an upcoming night shoot! I would like to use a basic red laser to mount on my rifle quad rail to use in conjunction with my PVS-14. It will be zeroed using a bore sight and then adjusting the mounted laser to match the bore sight for a rudimentary zero, so adjustable windage/elevation is necessary. Can anyone recommend a good model that is ideally under $150 for this unit? I understand a bright laser may be harmful for the NVD for prolonged use, though the plan is to head mount the PVS-14, so the laser dot shouldn't be constant on one spot of the NVD at any one time. Ideally, I would like to find a way to dim the laser so it's almost imperceptible for naked eye but still visible using the NVD; I have read various ways to do this, either using a pinhole filter or film to dull the laser output. What would be a recommended way to do this, or ideally, a laser with an already low mW output to be used for rifle mounting.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:57:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Who's been telling you your laser will damage your PVS?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:08:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Any red laser sight will do. I normally supply with Goggles or Monoculars a red laser dimmed with a layer or two of exposed film negitave. To get the new owner up and started.Just unscrew the front cap and place under it.
The ones I toss in are Chinese and come with a rail mount and scope mount with battery for about $20-25 U.S with free shipping so they are hard to beat at that price. We get them off ebay out of Hong Kong, pretty quick shipping to.(try searching military laser or laser sight).

Normal practice for us is hang the laser off the side of your riflescope as low as you can and just align it with the cross hairs in your riflescope. The laser should be dim enough not to flare when used with goggles but you should just be able to make it out with the day scope and naked eye at dusk against say a white wall.

The laser shouldn`t damage your NVD but for us shooting Deer if the laser is not dimmed it flares off the fur and whipes out the front half of the deer in a ball of light. Dimming gets rid of that issue. Also you can end up with streeks accross your tube if not dimmed, they will dissapear but a pain in the butt at the time.

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:46:57 AM EDT
[#3]
if you've ever been to the eye doctor they have those flat sunglasses they give you after dilating your eyes. That stuff works great, and since it is flat it cuts nicely for multiple layers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#4]
If you run a 720nm 30mm filter on the objective lens of your PVS14, any 5mw red laser will work without dimming.  I use a Crimson Trace rail master 5mw red visible laser and a UNI-IR .7mw IR laser on two AR platforms.  With the IR filter on the PVS14s, the .7mw red laser is at least 3x as powerful as the 5mw red laser when viewed through the PVS14s.  Easy to see with no IR illumination out to 50 yards.  If I hit the illuminator, I need to use the IR laser.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#5]
1+
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you run a 720nm 30mm filter on the objective lens of your PVS14, any 5mw red laser will work without dimming.  I use a Crimson Trace rail master 5mw red visible laser and a UNI-IR .7mw IR laser on two AR platforms.  With the IR filter on the PVS14s, the .7mw red laser is at least 3x as powerful as the 5mw red laser when viewed through the PVS14s.  Easy to see with no IR illumination out to 50 yards.  If I hit the illuminator, I need to use the IR laser.
View Quote

I leave the laser mounted as my zero, this lets me change optics and co witness quickly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the information guys, good stuff here. Overall, which models of lasers would you guys recommend?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top