Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2012 9:58:44 AM EDT
He took a perfectly good Garand and bubbafied it!

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I was going to say No big deal, It's a gas regulator.
Then I saw the camo job.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Makes  a man want to cry...
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Makes  a man want to cry...

Only part sacrificed was an op rod. Everything else can be reversed. New 308 barrel, old 30-06 barrel sold off to someone making a correct rifle. Shoots like a dream in this configuration.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#5]
At the risk of being hated by some, I'll admit, I actually like that.  I'm not sure I'd like to shoot it.  But I like the idea of it.  8 rounds of .30-06 in a handy package, semi, that can reach out and touch if you do your part.  What's not to like?  Now, if you butchered and old soldier to make her, it does kind of become like, hmmmmm........
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
At the risk of being hated by some, I'll admit, I actually like that.  I'm not sure I'd like to shoot it.  But I like the idea of it.  8 rounds of .30-06 in a handy package, semi, that can reach out and touch if you do your part.  What's not to like?  Now, if you butchered and old soldier to make her, it does kind of become like, hmmmmm........

Mine is 308, saved the old barrel, didn't want to hack down a cherry 30-06 barrel off a field grade. Rest of the rifle was kinda rough. Weird wear pattern, like it had sat in something while overseas. No mods to the receiver, only thing permanent I did was cut down an op rod.

I could convert it back to original configuration in 30-06 easily.

As it came from the CMP, it was neglected and tired looking. Not appreciated, not cherished. I may have made some modifications, but I think in a way it is better that the rifle gets used and cherished as a thing of pride, versus sitting anonymous on a rack somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]
It really isn't my cup of tea, but yeah, I have to agree that someone who puts that much money in to modifications to a Field Grade probably isn't going to let it fall into disuse or otherwise tear it up.

If it does it for you, man, I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time paying attention to what everyone else thinks. You'll probably not find all that many fans around here, to be completely honest.

At least the thing is being used.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Who made that upper hand guard and where can I get one?

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm somewhat curious about that gas regulator. Anyone know the details, or possibly where to find them?
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm somewhat curious about that gas regulator. Anyone know the details, or possibly where to find them?

The details are that there is only one in the whole wide world and I have it! I haven't been able to test it though. The Op rod lug was so worn that it would jump track when fired. I rebuilt the lug last night and now my G Rand is serviceable again. I plan to take it to the range next week end (GOD willing) and see if it actually works.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The details are that there is only one in the whole wide world and I have it! I haven't been able to test it though. The Op rod lug was so worn that it would jump track when fired. I rebuilt the lug last night and now my G Rand is serviceable again. I plan to take it to the range next week end (GOD willing) and see if it actually works.

I wonder if Bubba made that gas thingy to stop the oprod from jumping out...

You need to show the picture of that whole rifle...
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Who made that upper hand guard and where can I get one?

Here ya go:

http://ultimak.com/M12.htm
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I was looking at jdubya87's stock and was thinking it was familiar...Then I recognized it...Hey, I made that!  

That stock on a Mini-G makes all the difference in the world.  I take it you like the way it handles?
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
At the risk of being hated by some, I'll admit, I actually like that.  I'm not sure I'd like to shoot it..

I think you'd be surprised.  The Mini-Gs come standard with an adjustable gas plug so you can tune it.  I put repro T-37 flash suppressor on mine.  I don't find mine to have huge fireballs or excessive concussion.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#15]
It's an American rifle,.......modded to the owner's wishes!  

Not my cup o tea,.......but good for him!
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 4:10:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was looking at jdubya87's stock and was thinking it was familiar...Then I recognized it...Hey, I made that!  

That stock on a Mini-G makes all the difference in the world.  I take it you like the way it handles?

Yes!!! Its nite and day from the standard ram line.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is 308, saved the old barrel, didn't want to hack down a cherry 30-06 barrel off a field grade. Rest of the rifle was kinda rough. Weird wear pattern, like it had sat in something while overseas. No mods to the receiver, only thing permanent I did was cut down an op rod.

As it came from the CMP, it was neglected and tired looking. Not appreciated, not cherished. I may have made some modifications, but I think in a way it is better that the rifle gets used and cherished as a thing of pride, versus sitting anonymous on a rack somewhere.

.308, even better!  I guess I should've noticed the rounds were a little shorter sitting on the bench there.  

Either way it looks like it would be a nice weapon.  Especially if like Southern Raider said, that it's not too bad with the fireballs and exploding eardrums.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.308, even better!  I guess I should've noticed the rounds were a little shorter sitting on the bench there.  

Either way it looks like it would be a nice weapon.  Especially if like Southern Raider said, that it's not too bad with the fireballs and exploding eardrums.

Yeah, the brake tames some of it, but you'll want earpro. It might be even better with tailored loads and the adjustable gas plug dialed in.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I kinda like it to....in a non purist way
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Stock is  "modded"  Ram Line? By who?
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Previous owner shortened the lenght of pull by cutting an inch off the back. Otherwise it is too damned long to be useful. He also did the texture, which isn't as aggressive as it looks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Previous owner is Southern Raider, btw.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I know I'm going to be banished to C&R purgatory for this but...

It's a gun.  One of over 6 million made, very few of which were unique.

It's steel and wood.  It never "did" anything but at the hands of a soldier, very few of which were marksmen, or particularly notable.  It didn't kill Hitler, or charge a machine gun nest, or take out a sniper that saved a platoon.  Or if it did, that fact is lost to history.

And here's the irony - military firearms don't become rare and collectible UNLESS a bunch of them are "ruined" like this.  Scarcity makes something collectible, not sentiment.  Until the ratio of original:modified guns reaches some indeterminate point, they are just used rifles, some of which have been abused as well.

It's a gun, not a religious object.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's steel and wood.  It never "did" anything but at the hands of a soldier, very few of which were marksmen, or particularly notable.  It didn't kill Hitler, or charge a machine gun nest, or take out a sniper that saved a platoon.  Or if it did, that fact is lost to history.

And here's the irony - military firearms don't become rare and collectible UNLESS a bunch of them are "ruined" like this.  Scarcity makes something collectible, not sentiment.  Until the ratio of original:modified guns reaches some indeterminate point, they are just used rifles, some of which have been abused as well.

Turkeys can fly.  

I agree with you, to a point.  It does sort of seem like nails on the chalkboard when you see pieces of history all cut up.  But then on the other hand, I hear a lot of whining about people "bubba-izing" 03's for hunting.  Well, a long time ago they were a dime a dozen and it was a frugal way to have a good deer rifle.  It's hard not to see the utility in that.  To me Garands are a little different though.  They're just so dang heavy and I don't see a huge good reason to make them different than what they are.  But this tanker shown here has me second guessing that line of thinking.  And really, there's something to be said of a GOOD custom job of any type.  And if having different options in a weapon wasn't a big deal, the AR wouldn't be as popular as it is.  I mean there are so many different variations on that thing, that it makes your head spin.  Although most of them weren't ones that were made on a Govt' contract for one of the most important wars the world has seen.  So.......  It's just one of those things.  I kind of go back and forth on it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turkeys can fly.  

I agree with you, to a point.  It does sort of seem like nails on the chalkboard when you see pieces of history all cut up.  But then on the other hand, I hear a lot of whining about people "bubba-izing" 03's for hunting.  Well, a long time ago they were a dime a dozen and it was a frugal way to have a good deer rifle.  It's hard not to see the utility in that.  To me Garands are a little different though.  They're just so dang heavy and I don't see a huge good reason to make them different than what they are.  But this tanker shown here has me second guessing that line of thinking.  And really, there's something to be said of a GOOD custom job of any type.  And if having different options in a weapon wasn't a big deal, the AR wouldn't be as popular as it is.  I mean there are so many different variations on that thing, that it makes your head spin.  Although most of them weren't ones that were made on a Govt' contract for one of the most important wars the world has seen.  So.......  It's just one of those things.  I kind of go back and forth on it.

Plus, I can convert it back to original configuration in no time. Just would need a new op rod. Could conceivably reweld one too, but would be easier to source a complete one and rebuild it as necessary.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Aaaaah, wouldn't you need a barrel also?

But that's another point, some of these custom jobbies could've been done because the original config was messed up.  Anyways.....
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Aaaaah, wouldn't you need a barrel also?

But that's another point, some of these custom jobbies could've been done because the original config was messed up.  Anyways.....

True, I sold the barrel, but a correct one could be had pretty easily. You can grab a NIW GI off the CMP forum; bunch of people bought multiple when they came out. But I know what you're saying.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, I get ya.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Did I miss the righteous indignation somewhere?

Link Posted: 7/25/2012 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surprisingly there was none here. Carry on.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I like it !!!  Nice job.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't say I'm not surprised myself, but I will say my conclusion is the same. I thought the discussion stayed remarkably sane and civil.

I was wondering if missed something.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't say I'm not surprised myself, but I will say my conclusion is the same. I thought the discussion stayed remarkably sane and civil.

Given the use of the phrase "is nothing sacred?" yes, I did detect some righteous indignation. But upong review my post does seem a bit strident. Sorry 'bout that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given the use of the phrase "is nothing sacred?" yes, I did detect some righteous indignation. But upong review my post does seem a bit strident. Sorry 'bout that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Definitely think he was being a smart butt about it.

No worries.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

No worries.

It is my rifle and I made the gas regulator.

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#36]
At first I was horrified.....but the problem with the M1 is it takes a pounding with its full power gas system..where as the M14 has a regulated gas cyclinder only take a certain amount of gas that was one of the advances with M14 was the modified gas system im sure it shoots great.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread reminds me of all the criticism I received because I planned on re-finishing the stock on my Blue Sky.

Maybe some day collectors will be lusting for untouched Blue Sky originals, but I don't think it will be in my life time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No worries.

It is my rifle and I made the gas regulator.

Right. You weren't actually criticizing yourself. (unless I'm waaaaaaay off)

(And, if you were, this topic just got a lot more interesting!)
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I actually love the OP's Garand...... Love everything about it!

I see so many "traditional" Garands it makes it hard to say "this one is mine". The OP's stick is unique and is his....

Now if the Garand had Mako crap hanging off it and was spec-tactical, now that would be a mess.
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I think I'm gonna get me one of those Ultimak scout scope mounts and a Burris scout scope. ––  And another M1 to put it on.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Wood was trashed and it needed a new barrel. It got a Fulton Chromelined barrel and the Ramline stock.

I've switched optics back and forth between a 2-6x, a 3-12x, an Aimpoint1000, and the ProPoint above.
I like the propoint best, and I've owned it since the mid90s.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/rcsg_2009/1m83112.jpg

Wood was trashed and it needed a new barrel. It got a Fulton Chromelined barrel and the Ramline stock.

I've switched optics back and forth between a 2-6x, a 3-12x, an Aimpoint1000, and the ProPoint above.

NICE!
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/rcsg_2009/1m83112.jpg

Make baby Jesus cry... That poor thing belongs in WOOD!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Any other pictures of the original rifle? Looks awesome!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
At first I was horrified.....but the problem with the M1 is it takes a pounding with its full power gas system..where as the M14 has a regulated gas cylinder only take a certain amount of gas that was one of the advances with M14 was the modified gas system im sure it shoots great.

The M14 uses the White System. (also the M60, Winchester 100, civilian BAR among others)

The Garand would have been a better rifle with it ––––––––––––- but at the time of development/US ARMY Trials, White had entered their own rifle in competition with the Garand...

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top