Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2017 11:55:57 PM EDT
Wanting to start hunting this year. What's a good black powder gun to start with. Preferably cheap. I'll say my budget is 600ish.

Wife told me she used to have a Savage black powder gun that she hunted with. She liked it, but if I'm correct they're no longer manufactured, or am I retarded?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#1]
That price range a CVA Optima and still have money to spend on an optic. From my research a few years ago they are one of the best. Not sure if they still are.  I know Thompson makes one like the CVA. And both work here in Texas for BP Season. And both will give you an accurate shot at to at least 300 yards depending on the BP charge you put in it. The pellets from what I have read work great.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#2]
A couple of years ago i got a Traditions Buckstalker on a whim because they were on sale ($185 if IIRC).
It was dead nuts on at 100 yards right out of the box.  With 70 grains of pyrodex and a .451, 240 gr XTP bullet in a sabot it will kill just about anything.

You can probably load it up higher for more distance but around here that's about all we need.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That price range a CVA Optima and still have money to spend on an optic. From my research a few years ago they are one of the best. Not sure if they still are.  I know Thompson makes one like the CVA. And both work here in Texas for BP Season. And both will give you an accurate shot at to at least 300 yards depending on the BP charge you put in it. The pellets from what I have read work great.
View Quote
i have the cva wolf i purchased years ago for 119.00 its pretty much the same as Optima without the comb. The best quickest bullet to load  i used with it was the powerbelts. i didnt use pellets but real 2fg powder with 90grs i took two dear with it when i lived in NYS. a doe that was about 100 lbs spooked her out of high grass field and buck 6 ptr that was about 135lbs both ran a total of 5 yards and dropped massive about of blood. Where i shot them..

For cheap useable weapon they are fine.. I would like to get a TC down the road.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A couple of years ago i got a Traditions Buckstalker on a whim because they were on sale ($185 if IIRC).
It was dead nuts on at 100 yards right out of the box.  With 70 grains of pyrodex and a .451, 240 gr XTP bullet in a sabot it will kill just about anything.

You can probably load it up higher for more distance but around here that's about all we need.
View Quote
I came to this forum just to ask this same question as its my first season in Ohio. Man I miss HP rifle in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Love my CVA Optima
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top