Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2002 8:52:36 PM EDT
I have been debating what to put into my BOB for the longest time now.  I cannot yet afford to buy another firearm, let alone more ammunition for my current ones, but I want to plan out my next purchase anyways...

This rifle/carbine will go into a BOB, and MUST BE CONCEALED.  This will be used for both Defense (If necessary), and Survival (read: Hunting Small Game).  The choices I've narrowed down to are:

Kel-Tek Sub 2000 (or Older Folding Carbine) in 9mm or .40S&W (With Glock Hi-Cap Magazines)
Springfield Armory Over/Under .22 Hornet - .410 (Fires Flares, Slugs, Shot, & .22 Hornet Rifle Ammo)

This would have to be concealed in a backpack or side pouch of some sort.  I'm almost certain that both of them could conceal VERY well, but what one should I get?  I live in URBANIA so I'd think a Semi-Auto might be best.  I don't know for sure what to buy...  Help.

*Adding Poll*

-iNuhBaDNayburhood
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the Kel-tek folder would theoretically be your best choice for what you want it for.  I, however, don't have any first hand experience with that carbine.  

Just to give you some more ideas -

A pump-action shotgun with a folding stock may be be more versatile as a defensive/hunting arm.  It could be broken down to the length of its barrel ( 19 inches).  The cost of a remington 870 plus a folding stock ~$270.00

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an AR-7.  Yeah, its a .22LR, but it is very nice.  Light weight, won't waste small game too bad, cheap, light weight, different kinds of ammo, floats, stored complete in stock, semi-auto.  I carry mine in my MOLLE pack.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not use a 16" barreled AR15, separated into the 2 pieces. Assuming immediate deployment would not be necessary, this is a perfect solution. The upper is the longer part, so it doesn't matter what kind of buttstock you use. The regular butt allows you to store your cleaning supplies, etc, anyway.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#4]
M1 Carbine, possibly with folding stock.

Decent performance on small game, and a passable defense caliber up to 150 yards.  15 and 30 round mags are cheap, and the 15 rounders can be stored in a stock-mounted pouch.  

Easy to maintain, rugged, and simple mechanism. The sights are also superior to both the Springfield M6 and the Kel-Tec.

Plus the mechanism is familiar to many people, especially veterans.  You never know when you might have to hand your rifle to somebody else.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Dude, you need an "OTHER" category.

SRT-20F under-folder.

Why limit yourself to possibilities ?
Use what the pros use.  (The "working" pros)
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll go with the AR 16" carbine built specifically for this purpose.  For example, using 16" LWT barrel shortened with FH or MB permanently attached to minimum OAL, A1 TD Stock for storage and Lone Star Stow-Away grip. There are lots of sight options, but mine consists of A1 upper with older Colt 4X scope.  Went with ventilated float tube to get LWT and accuracy.  I use 20 rnd mags loaded to 17 with several types of ammo.  (Mostly Win 64gr SP and SS109).

Add 22LR conversion kit and ammo.  Very important to Pre-zero and have sight dope for all ammo recorded and stowed in stock.

I know this is about long guns, but I also have a S&W 629 6" 44 mag revolver.  This is a very versatile weapon which is almost as good as the carbine in a pinch (you must learn how to shoot it). Also with several types of ammo.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#8]
   I would get a lever action take down rifle in .38 or .357.

.357 good on deer, dogs , and man.   You can also shoot shot shells, in hopes of getting fowl.

You also can keep topping off the mag, throught the side loading port. or whatever you call it?

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#9]
What's a "BOB"?
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a disassembled AR in my bug-out-bag right now. It is a 16" shorty and really fits well.

I do like the shotgun/.22 idea too, but not enough to buy one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm like "Who the hell is BOB" then I realize you mean Bug Out Bag". Of what you list go with the KelTec and Glock Mags. People will be armed in a WSHTF including the bad guys. I like the broke down AR15 idea the best though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#12]
M-60 on a Humvee----wife
AR15 C.A.R.----kids out windows
G.E. Minigun on hood----you, controls on dashboard

COME BIG, OR DON'T COME AT ALL

But seriously, AR with callopsable stock, 11 1/2" barrel. If S--REALLY--HTF, why stay legal?

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
   I would get a lever action take down rifle in .38 or .357.

.357 good on deer, dogs , and man.   You can also shoot shot shells, in hopes of getting fowl.

You also can keep topping off the mag, throught the side loading port. or whatever you call it?

I like that idea..... easy to find ammo, I might go up to a .44 Mag though. Pair it with a revolver and you've got a great package for Bug-out.... and with .44 Mag you could even take deer. Add a 3x scope and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What's a "BOB"?

I knew all the time.
I was just about to tell you.
I'm also lying.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I have and like the M-6 in .22H. It shoots very straight out to 100 yards, which I consider My max. range for shooting at food, with this weapon.  It has proven itself on camping trips, to be rugged and portable.

You cannot survive for very long on "small game."  The meat from these small animals is too lean.  A meat diet calls for more fat than that.  You will absolutely have to shoot medium or big-game to make it long term.  In Canada, people who just eat small game suffer from "rabbit starvation".  Which all goes towards saying you won't like deer hunting with a .22 rimfire.

A centerfire rifle, shooting one of the smaller, flat-trajectory *rifle* cartridges is your best bet.  Go hunting with a 9mm carbine and tell me it's ideal.

An AR-15 would be infinitely better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top