Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2009 3:34:30 PM EDT
Looking at a FAL.  I know nothing about them.  What is the going rate right now?
Dan
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming it works, probably $700-800. But the market is starting to slow, so you may be able to get a better price. If it's a crappy Century, then it's pretty much worth nothing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I am considering an Aussie kit built on Hesse receiver. Guy is asking appx $800. So, that being what it is, I'd say Century is about the same.
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am considering an Aussie kit built on Hesse receiver. Guy is asking appx $800. So, that being what it is, I'd say Century is about the same.

Flee anything made by Hesse/Vulvan Arms. Those guys can't fix a sandwich and their customer service consists of telling buyers to 'fuck off and die'.  BSW
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Agreed, Hesse have a bad reputation. I think some of their receivers were OK, but the name alone will make it harder to resell down the road. You should be able to find one on an Imbel receiver on Gunbroker for $800 or a little less.
Link Posted: 6/22/2009 3:16:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flee anything made by Hesse/Vulvan Arms. Those guys can't fix a sandwich and their customer service consists of telling buyers to 'fuck off and die'.  BSW

I know of the Hesse issues,and have reconsidered based on that.
I have an Imbel/STG which is more than enough FAL. just have a weakness for FALs.
I have already decided to pass on it, and may tackle building my own.

Link Posted: 6/22/2009 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Hesse FAL receivers work fine once you get the bugs worked out. Resell can be a problem based on their reputation. The price sounds too high to me. I am sure you can find one built on an Imbel receiver for that kind of money.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 4:59:36 AM EDT
[#7]
So how do I tell if it is a Hesse receiver?  Will it be marked?  I figure It must say something about Century on the receiver but will it also say something about Hesse?  I am told it is an inch upper but how do I tell if it is a inch or metric kit it was built on? I know this is alot of question but I don't want to get hosed.  I don't feel like I need a FAL and don't have the money to spend on a higher quality FAL. I just have a little extra money and think I would not mind having a FAL.
Dan
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Most Century R1A1's you see now are going for about $700-800. I lucked up on one at my local shop for $485 about a month ago. I have three others FAL's, but this is a great beater and shoots great.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#9]
It depends some Century were built on Imbel receivers, which are good receivers, some were built on Argentine receivers which are good. Some were built on bad receivers. I have had 3 Century's FNs all have been good weapons. some though are really bad. If it is a known good one that you could try 800 up is not a bad price.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been look at a Century FAL the local shop has one for 625 with a Canadian receiver.  The plastic furniture is beat up and the rest is about 85 -90% on the finish but, I was thinking about it as a beater rifle.  I know Century is not the best but is 625 too much?
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 6:11:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been look at a Century FAL the local shop has one for 625 with a Canadian receiver.  The plastic furniture is beat up and the rest is about 85 -90% on the finish but, I was thinking about it as a beater rifle.  I know Century is not the best but is 625 too much?

A made in Canada FAL is probably built on a Imbel or Argy receiver. Both very good. Give us some pics and we can ID it for you. If it is one of those two receivers I say it is worth it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 5:49:41 AM EDT
[#12]
If I was thinking before hand I would have taken some pic with my phone to show.  Are there any key marks that make one better than the other?  I know this wont help but the side has made in Canada marking stamped and in yellow just behind the ejector port on the receiver.  CAI is also in the same spot and in yellow too before the Canadian marking.  I wanted to note this cause the CAI marks are done in a nice clean stamp (similar but not the same font and size as made in Canada) not the usual "dot matrix" looking mark you see on other century rifles and CAI is the only century mark theirs no address or city state.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 2:08:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I Found 2 Century 'Thumbhole' rigs at a gun show few years back... Turns out 1 was stamped 'Made in canada' with no sporter markings anywhere, the entire parts kit is a Lithgow, had a aussie guy give me the history on falfiles about it origions, but the receiver im stumped on, and they could care less. . Could anyone here give me insight on it?
serial in the high 107,XXX range.
Takes metric mags, but uses inch furniture?
correct feedramps, fucking thing is a ammo pig, shoots everything ive fed it from surplus on up. Never a failure @ 2K+rds, even when a silverbear case split and it tried to feed another :)
If my file hosting would work(mustangmods) Ill post detailed pics
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 7/8/2009 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#14]
nobody?
Link Posted: 7/10/2009 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I Found 2 Century 'Thumbhole' rigs at a gun show few years back... Turns out 1 was stamped 'Made in canada' with no sporter markings anywhere, the entire parts kit is a Lithgow, had a aussie guy give me the history on falfiles about it origions, but the receiver im stumped on, and they could care less. . Could anyone here give me insight on it?
serial in the high 107,XXX range.
Takes metric mags, but uses inch furniture?
correct feedramps, fucking thing is a ammo pig, shoots everything ive fed it from surplus on up. Never a failure @ 2K+rds, even when a silverbear case split and it tried to feed another :)
If my file hosting would work(mustangmods) Ill post detailed pics
Thanks in advance

Probably made by a guy named Skeeter.

Post pics if you want more info.
Link Posted: 7/10/2009 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/10/2009 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Century's 'crack' assembly team.

BSW
Link Posted: 7/12/2009 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Assuming it works, probably $700-800. But the market is starting to slow, so you may be able to get a better price. If it's a crappy Century, then it's pretty much worth nothing.

Your last sentence is full of bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/12/2009 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/12/2009 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Fal kit guns are only worth the sum of there parts
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#21]
my century inibrow with ausie parts runs great.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a pair of FALs that Century built on Imbel receivers, Both work 100%. Imbel receivers as used by century are good receivers, are they not? The British andAussie parts that Century used to build these guns are also top of the line. As long as the monkeys didn't grind on it, you're good with a Century Imbel.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Imbel receivers as used by century are good receivers, are they not?

They are as good as any Imbel receiver. And Imbel's are one of the best you can get.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a century built on the dreaded hesse receiver. Bought it years ago, gun jamed on the first round. Then I started looking at the fn files forum. I removed the gunk out of the gas tube and cleaned everything. I have several cases of ammo through it and can't recall any jams. Mine was assembled with parts covered in cosomoline. Once I got that off it has worked fine. I can't believe they would assemble a gun without cleaning off the cosomoline first, but they did. Just remember it might be a project gun, not a ready to go shooter. But I am glad I bought it now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Are you talking about the "C" series receiver d rifles?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fal kit guns are only worth the sum of there parts

Mostly, but it also can depend on who built it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top