Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2009 5:34:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2009 7:50:02 PM EST by HiramRanger]
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 5:35:33 PM EST
Go to Camp Perry and ask the staff to help you out. They know a whole lot.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 5:37:39 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 5:38:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2009 5:39:40 PM EST by fishngrits]

Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
Yes... it is true, your humble C&R mod does NOT own a Garand...

EPIC Fail.

I'm sure the store staff can help you. I had to wait for mine a few months, but it was worth it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 5:39:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 6:15:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2009 6:15:58 PM EST by rlc]
Originally Posted By UZIBoy:

they are very helpfull, but probably will not suggest one rifle over the other,

take some surgical style gloves, things are greasy, sometimes very greasy

also take a bore brush, and some patches, and maybe a rod, tho they had rods last time I was there, having one in the vehicle just in case will not be a bad idea,

a couple of shop rags,
flash light, bore light or mirror,

take your time researching before you go and take a note book or small pocket notebook with you
(serial # dates, etc, may be helpful if you find a gem, or maybe prevent you from buying a dud)

pen/pencil for said notebook,

they also had guages last time I was there, but it's been a few years, if you have a set, take them,

different forums suggest an early arrival with donuts,

be polite, (I'm sure you will) and patient if busy

the 3 most important things

1> good credit limit on a good credit card

2> a good sturdy vehicle to hall the guns (and ammo, buy your limit on ammo)back home, (a miata won't cut it)

3> take pics and post here!!

hth

Link Posted: 9/3/2009 6:56:29 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 7:01:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2009 7:03:29 PM EST by haLfLiFe]
I think the service grade would be a great choice at this point in the game. It is worth the wait and can take up to 3 months but where else are you going to get your hands on a CMP service grade when you can go there in person and buy one like yourself

I would personally be looking for bore condition first, then park and wood condition....followed by serial # range.

I waited 3 months to get a correct grade and I couldn't be happier with my decision. But contrast to that I hear folks all the time talking about how nice of a piece a service grade is for the $. All I know is I am gonna have to pick up a service grade sometime soon too.

Have fun looking through all of the history, and I hope you get a nice piece.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:48:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By rlc:
Originally Posted By UZIBoy:

they are very helpfull, but probably will not suggest one rifle over the other,

take some surgical style gloves, things are greasy, sometimes very greasy

also take a bore brush, and some patches, and maybe a rod, tho they had rods last time I was there, having one in the vehicle just in case will not be a bad idea,

a couple of shop rags,
flash light, bore light or mirror,

take your time researching before you go and take a note book or small pocket notebook with you
(serial # dates, etc, may be helpful if you find a gem, or maybe prevent you from buying a dud)

pen/pencil for said notebook,

they also had guages last time I was there, but it's been a few years, if you have a set, take them,

different forums suggest an early arrival with donuts,

be polite, (I'm sure you will) and patient if busy

the 3 most important things

1> good credit limit on a good credit card

2> a good sturdy vehicle to hall the guns (and ammo, buy your limit on ammo)back home, (a miata won't cut it)

3> take pics and post here!!

hth

Most importantly.....

4> call or check the forums first to make sure they even have any in stock. When I drove out there in march, pickens were slim.

+1 on the service grade, extra ammo ( I shoulda bought more ), and pix!
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 6:16:57 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 7:22:27 AM EST
With all the Garand fans around here I figured this thread would have a little more life to it!

Anytime I see a Garand thread get posted there really are not too many folks that jump on board to talk about them, why...I think most people cannot afford them.

But I bet if you posted a thread on Mosin Nagants you would get half of the C&R section giving you their opinions and out of nowhere it turns into a 3 pager.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 11:28:32 AM EST
Just get the nicest Service Grade you see.You cant go wrong with a Garand from the CMP
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 11:53:38 AM EST
Go and pick out your own.....long trip? You might as well buy two, or three.

Gonna need ammo! You might as well pick some up there too!

I went about 3 years ago to Anniston. It's about 660 miles, so I flew.

RSW to ATL, used Amex points, one day rental car, amex points, one night in hotel....amex points. My wife used to get eleventy billion points a year on her work Amex, alas, no more(it's an economy thing).

I had 'em ship everything home. Pick it up there, pay tax, ship it home....no tax. Even Steven.

Here are some pics.

" />

It was a good day!!!

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 2:42:07 PM EST
Got mine about 15 years ago from CMP. It is in about service grade shape, would probably never sell it. CAVEAT EMPTOR––
Watch out for re-welded receivers. These were de-milled(cut in half), salvaged and re-welded. It is rumored that some unscrupulous persons have been selling re-welds as original. That said, I would have a hard time believing anyone who has purchased a Garand from a reputable seller has regretted it. It is after all "the finest battle implement ever devised."(Gen. George Patton)
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 3:32:26 PM EST
The staff will help you pick out a rifle, they do not have Service Grades in the stores, mail order only
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 3:57:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 4:04:42 PM EST
Well I guess that makes it a pointless trip at this time doesn't it
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 4:27:19 PM EST
Shortages. They have so many orders that as they go through their pallets inspecting all the service grades are going to back orders. When (if) they get caught up they will be on the racks again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 4:29:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:01:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/7/2009 3:04:22 AM EST by M1G]
Well they have more orders for Service Grades than they have rifles graded, thats why the long wait
You think they should stock the shelves with Service Grades when they cant even keep up with demand in mail order?
They sell many. many more rifles etc mail order than in the stores
Cant please everyone. If they sold them in stores the people with mail orders would whine because they are waiting months for theirs and it not fair because people living close to a Stoe can walk in and buy one without waiting
What they are doing only makes sense to me. They run a pretty darn good buisness
If you really want one put your order in today. They may not even offer them for sale tomorrow, as the supply of Garands wont last forever
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:26:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By Anarius:
Shortages. They have so many orders that as they go through their pallets inspecting all the service grades are going to back orders. When (if) they get caught up they will be on the racks again.

I could understand limiting the number of service grades on the floor, but to completely eliminate them is silly. Even charge a premium for the ability to walk in and get one. People who make the pilgrimage are likely to spend MORE money... ammo, a second garand, a carbine... you get the idea. Pulling the service grade from the store kind of kills the appeal of driving close to 20 hours round trip.

Well, in a way, you can do that.

I'd call for inventory (after the 9th, they're closed until then) on the Special Service grade. They have new stocks and have been re parked and are really nice looking rifles. They had a ton of these in stock before the national matches, but I don't know how briskly they sold them during the matches. I'm pretty sure these were being offered at $700 and looked like they were worth every penny of it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 3:34:55 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:24:24 AM EST
Many people have found diamonds in the rough at the store. Get the one with the best muzzle wear and throat erosion numbers. They can explain that to you at the store. A rough stock may be the reason for a lower grading. CMP has a very limited staff and sorting a grading rifles takes quite a bit of time. That is the reason for the limited availability of certain grades of rifles. BTW, once you own one you never look at your AR's the same way again. These rifles are absolute beasts.

If you live anywhere near Rochester, NY I'll let you play with mine so you can familiarize yourself with one. Mine is a very late production H&R. They only made 150 more H&R's after they made mine. Some people will talk about "correct grade". That just means that all the main assemblies were made by the same manufacturer. Many owners swap parts to get their rifles to "match". Some people thinks that this add value to the rifle, the beauty of this rifle is that any part made by any of the manufacturers would work on any rifle. I doubt that there was ever a case of a GI in a foxhole looking over his Garand and thinking, "DARN!!!!! it doesn't match." My rifle is a mixmaster, but is was probably made that way. H&R was finishing off their production run and no doubt used whatever parts they had on hand to do it. I don't think the rifle has ever been reworked at an arsenal.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:45:17 AM EST
Correct Grades not only have the same manufacturer parts throughout.... but the park, wood and muzzle wear will be in better condition. There is a reason they sell for 1K and Service Grades goe for $600. You can't go wrong either way, but there is a large difference.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 1:59:39 AM EST
They arent even offering Correct Grades at this time either mail order or the Stores. Have been sold out for some time
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:52:47 AM EST
Originally Posted By M1G:
They arent even offering Correct Grades at this time either mail order or the Stores. Have been sold out for some time

Wasn't saying they had Correct Grades for sale at right now, I was pointing out to another poster the differences since he made the descriptions between a Service Grade and Correct grade seem like a small margin.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 11:07:09 PM EST
I ordered a field grade last year and it was in good shape. I cleaned it and rubbed a little cold blue on the bear spots and used oven cleaner on the stock, it took a whole can. I didn’t use any sand paper. I put about four coats of tungoil on it. The stock was dark to start with and lightened up only a little, but all the wood matched in color. Like most people will tell you it shoots way better than me. I’m left handed and it takes a little time getting use to it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:04:07 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 1:13:31 PM EST
Nothing wrong with that choice. I hope to see some pics when you get it
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:52:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 11:44:01 PM EST
Not bad. Have you pulped any digits in it yet?

You might have paid a bit much for it though.

But, you didn't have to wait.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 1:21:07 AM EST
Correct me if I'm wrong as Garands aren't a real strong forte.

This rifle in the photo has a beech stock and walnut handguards. I thought only the Danish M1 had beech. The U.S. never used beech. Walnut and birch.

Yes no?

Dutch
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:24:27 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:34:10 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:41:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2009 3:42:34 AM EST by Bumblebee_Bob]
Yes, I believe that is a replacement stock. Like Dutch said the US used walnut and birch. And the birch was post war years. And the US didn't stamp the serial number in the stock. I'm not up on Garands too much either but I'm going to guess this is a Greek bringback. Just get a replacement stock from CMP. They are nice walnut stocks for a fair price. I picked one up several months ago and still don't quite have it fitted to the rifle yet. But it sure looks fantastic!

Pick up Scott Duff's M1 Garand: Owner's Manual (or something like that) from his site or Fulton Armory. It's worth every penny and will answer questions you didn't even think of asking. IMO, it's a must have for every Garand owner.

oh btw, looks like a good solid rifle for a fair price. I'm sure you're going to love it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:10:12 AM EST

what the heck does pulped any digits mean?

M1 thumb.....having your thumb inadvertently smashed by the bolt. Quite painful.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:20:24 AM EST
That's a Danish-returned rifle, no question. Does it have any Italian parts (marked PB, BMB, or BMR) or a Danish barrel (marked VAR)?

-Mark
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:41:36 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:47:09 AM EST
I don't have it yet, the seller said it is the original barrel.

Ah, okay. Not uncommon for the Dane rifles.

I'd expect to see some Italian parts in there; don't be surprised if there are. They're fine and were made on US-supplied tooling.

When you get it, take it down and look in the stock channel. Unless a previous owner removed it, you'll find the Danish inventory tag in there.

-Mark
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 7:45:42 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 8:06:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:
I don't have it yet, the seller said it is the original barrel.

Ah, okay. Not uncommon for the Dane rifles.

I'd expect to see some Italian parts in there; don't be surprised if there are. They're fine and were made on US-supplied tooling.

When you get it, take it down and look in the stock channel. Unless a previous owner removed it, you'll find the Danish inventory tag in there.

-Mark

OK, guess we just have to wait and see when it gets here. I was not aware this was a Dane

The beechwood stock with the serial number on the bottom is pretty clear evidence that it's a Danish rifle. If the SN on the stock didn't match the receiver I'd say it might have been put on there by a later civilian owner, but it does, so that stock belongs to that rifle, and that stock is a Danish stock.

Bear in mind that these are US-made rifles - we just loaned them to the Danish post-WWII to get their military back in shape. Being that their military wasn't a big priority for them, they actually kept these things in service well into the 1980s before sending them back. Given that they had to maintain them for decades past when the US retired them, they ended up making some of their own replacement parts (stocks and barrels, mostly) and acquring some from other sources (Italy).

-Mark
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 8:22:00 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 11:44:11 AM EST
Like the above posted said. The stock is a Beech replacement stock. That does not make it bad just not a wood that was original to a typical US rifle. Many of the Danish rifles had VAR replacement barrels. These are also very good barrels and people that want an accurate barrel will be pleased with a VAR barrel. However, They were Danish made and not original to the US rifle. Other Danish rifle came with there original barrel or a US made replacement barrel. The Danes seemed to be pretty good about replacing worn barrels and other parts.
If you want it to look US, you will need to replace the stock. The rest of the rifle can stay the way it is if it is in good shape.

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:18:10 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:23:33 PM EST
Looks like I'll be scrapping the stock... what does a WWII Springfield Armory Garand stock go for in excellent shape?

The exact amount will depend on which particular inspection stamp you are looking for, but expect to spend at least $300 or so for one with decent readable markings. The last Allentown show I attended I saw an SA/NFR stock in good shape - it was marked $350 and was not there the second time I visited that table.

-Mark
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 10:41:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By A6BN:

what the heck does pulped any digits mean?

M1 thumb.....having your thumb inadvertently smashed by the bolt. Quite painful.

Or, hanging the bolt up on the follower instead of locking it back all the way and slamming your left index finger in the gun.

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:36:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:41:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2009 3:42:45 AM EST by MVolkJ]
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:
Looks like I'll be scrapping the stock... what does a WWII Springfield Armory Garand stock go for in excellent shape?

The exact amount will depend on which particular inspection stamp you are looking for, but expect to spend at least $300 or so for one with decent readable markings. The last Allentown show I attended I saw an SA/NFR stock in good shape - it was marked $350 and was not there the second time I visited that table.

-Mark

fuck that, how about a stock just made from the proper wood?

You can find unmarked USGI replacement stocks and sanded-down (markings gone) WWII stocks for considerably less. Just watch eBay and Gunbroker; there are plenty there and you can snag one for a pretty reasonable price. Gunshows occasionally will have them as well.

I'm not a fan of most of the current crop of commercial M1 stocks. Most of them are oversize, some comically so.

-Mark
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:50:38 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:21:19 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:32:31 AM EST
Sorry you arent happy, from the pics I thought it looked alittle rough for the asking price.
Put your order in to CMP for a Service Grade "today" If you want a new commercial stock put a sticky note with order requesting one. Doesnt mean you will get it but they try to fill requests

Good luck
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top