Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/11/2009 3:00:35 PM EST
I wanna play with glue stick bullets in my 45LC. my question is, how much do I have to worry about glue buildup in my barrel? and if it does build up, how easy is it to clean out? Can I use my standard mix of Butches boreshine and Kroil to clean it?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:10:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/11/2009 5:21:07 PM EST by Morning_Wood]
Are these glue sticks you talk about the ones you use heat guns to melt? If so, you should be fine. I've never heard of a weapon producing any heat.

[Capt. Marko Ramius] You're afraid of our glue bullets. Well, you should be. Personally, I'd give you one chance in three. More tea anyone? [/Capt. Marko Ramius]

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:29:05 PM EST
Yes, they will be hot glue gun sticks. I know I will be fine doing this. My question though is more specifically do I need to worry about buildup and if it does happen, I wonder how hard it is to clean out.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:37:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By Morning_Wood:
Are these glue sticks you talk about the ones you use heat guns to melt? If so, you should be fine. I've never heard of a weapon producing any heat.

[Capt. Marko Ramius] You're afraid of our glue bullets. Well, you should be. Personally, I'd give you one chance in three. More tea anyone? [/Capt. Marko Ramius]

Am I the only one scratching my head at this one?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:54:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By mustangwon:
Originally Posted By Morning_Wood:

Am I the only one scratching my head at this one?

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:00:07 PM EST
I do it all the time. no worries with the glue, even if it stuck to the bore it comes right out with a bronze brush. Its much more fun in a revolver, an auto is just a single shot. Enlarge the primer hole on the case and dedicate for this, otherwise the primers comeout a bit and jam up the works.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:07:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By coldzero:
I do it all the time. no worries with the glue, even if it stuck to the bore it comes right out with a bronze brush. Its much more fun in a revolver, an auto is just a single shot. Enlarge the primer hole on the case and dedicate for this, otherwise the primers comeout a bit and jam up the works.

Thanks! I knew about the primer holes and dedicating it. I will be using a blackhawk to shoot it. it just looks like cheap fun to me. Good to know about the brushes. Bronze or brass is all I use. Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:16:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/11/2009 6:18:13 PM EST by MikeinGA]
Originally Posted By mustangracer:
I wanna play with glue stick bullets in my 45LC. my question is, how much do I have to worry about glue buildup in my barrel? and if it does build up, how easy is it to clean out? Can I use my standard mix of Butches boreshine and Kroil to clean it?

PLAY is the key word. It's people like you that gives this sport a bad name and you should not have guns. Play time is for childern, that's the reason that they can not have a gun. That's IMHO.

Thiis Topic should be locked !

Mike

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:31:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/11/2009 6:37:50 PM EST by mustangracer]
Originally Posted By MikeinGA:

PLAY is the key word. It's people like you that gives this sport a bad name and you should not have guns. Play time is for childern, that's the reason that they can not have a gun. That's IMHO.

Mike

Piss off and get out of my thread. You had nothing to contribute and you KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ME! Kiss my ass and have a nice day. Oh yeah, learn to type if you are gonna be an ass.

ETA : I'm sorry my verbiage offended you oh god of the forums. I'll be sure to choose my action words more carefully so you don't think I'm a child.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:32:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/11/2009 6:33:21 PM EST by mustangracer]
Double tap
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:33:44 PM EST
I like the idea. Are you casting them in a mold or just cutting them off and hoping they fit the case?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:36:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By ReAX222:
I like the idea. Are you casting them in a mold or just cutting them off and hoping they fit the case?

If you watch the videos on youtube in the primer making thread, the same guy has videos showing it with a 45 acp. I'm just gonna adapt it and do it with my LC.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:37:33 PM EST

Mike

LOL, thats funny. Let the guy have some cheap fun. Some of us aren't affraid to live life, lets help the guy out, hes going to do it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:06:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By bgreen776:

Mike

LOL, thats funny. Let the guy have some cheap fun. Some of us aren't affraid to live life, lets help the guy out, hes going to do it anyway.

It's funny till some dies and I seen it first hand.

Mike

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:11:18 PM EST

Mike

Somehow the words "play" and "sport" are wildly different to you?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:20:49 PM EST

Mike

Mike

You saw someone die by shooting a glue stick? I doubt it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:24:17 PM EST
I'm having trouble with my flash player, does someone make a glue stick .452" or is he casting them or just making a wad and punching the case in it?

I've often wanted to play with composite bullets. Since cast lead is boolits, would these be gluolits?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:57:14 PM EST

Mike

Mike

Dude, did someone shoot you up the ass with a glue bullet? You sure sound like your butt hurt because someone used a WORD you did not like. Why dont you go make some glue bullets and loosen up a bit.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:24:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/11/2009 8:28:20 PM EST by montecarlo97]
I made some for my 1911.
I went to Wal Mart and bought full size glue sticks. The ones I got were 4"x .44, 30 in a package for less than 5 bucks.
I drilled out the primer pockets with an 1/8" drill bit, then resized and flared the case as normal. I then primed all the cases with WLP primers,
pushed the glue stick in as far as I could get it to go, then cut it off flush with the case mouth and ran them through a taper crimp die.
Work great and takes care of any stay cats or dogs in the yard
If you watch the video on you tube, he uses LRM primers. I didn't try them because I didn't have any but you'd probably get a little more velocity from them.

I haven't seen any glue build up yet.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:33:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By Guido1:

Mike

Mike

There was a guy in 1995 that heated up wax put in bullet mold to load for 1911 45 apc. He shot 2 of the wax bullets then loaded a clip of 45 acp fnj rounds in the his 1911. He pulled the trigger and the gun blew up, due to the the bullet stuck in the chamber, the case split open and hot gases set off rounds in the mag. He lost over half of his right hand and bones for his hit his littel boy in the face making blind in both eyes. This was the gun grabbers poster boy, they wanted anyone who manufuctured ammo (reloading) to goto a goverment run class at your cost.

Just show me in a reloading manual, glue stick bullets or wax bullets. If it's not in the manual don't do it. May be a newbe will try it and when somebody gets hurt or dead. May be the newbe will say, you guys on AR15.com told me to due it that way. That will be good for the shooting sport. Safety First!

Mike

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:37:58 PM EST
I don't know if they still make them but I used to have some rubber bullets that you shot with primers that were reuseable up to a point. They shot pretty good at 20ft. A few layers of cardboard would stop them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:45:20 PM EST

Mike

Mike

There was a guy in 1995 that heated up wax put in bullet mold to load for 1911 45 apc. He shot 2 of the wax bullets then loaded a clip of 45 acp fnj rounds in the his 1911. He pulled the trigger and the gun blew up, due to the the bullet stuck in the chamber, the case split open and hot gases set off rounds in the mag. He lost over half of his right hand and bones for his hit his littel boy in the face making blind in both eyes. This was the gun grabbers poster boy, they wanted anyone who manufuctured ammo (reloading) to goto a goverment run class at your cost.

Just show me in a reloading manual, glue stick bullets or wax bullets. If it's not in the manual don't do it. May be a newbe will try it and when somebody gets hurt or dead. May be the newbe will say, you guys on AR15.com told me to due it that way. That will be good for the shooting sport. Safety First!

Mike

Ow my fucking head hurts after reading your post.

Lighten up, Francis. The guy didn't get an accident because he shot wax bullets; he had an accident because he basically had a squib load, which happens with regular old bullets all the time.

Seriously, though, learn to type a cogent response.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:35:18 AM EST

Mike

Personally this is my thought here as well. To my way of thinking, yeah it may be kind of cool but then on the other hand. If I am going to go through the trouble of doing that to a case I might as well make a regular load. Not to mention any extra cleanup there might be. Like mike says is it in the manual?? if so then my personal thoughts would be that it is safe to do. Safety is number one in the firearms area to me. JMHO
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:50:35 AM EST
Speer makes the plastic bullets. In 38/357 they make bullets and cases (that use a large pistol primer). In .45 they just make the bullets and you have to use the brass cases.

Great for indoor or short range practice. When we used them we just hung a sheet up behind the targets and the bullets would just hit the sheet and fall to the floor where we would pick them up and use them again, over and over.

Folks need to realize they just because they would never do something that doesn't make it unsafe, illegal, stupid, etc. for the folks who want to learn how to do it. That's the attidude of the gun grabbers - no one needs those kind of guns, they should be outlawed.

Good luck with the glue thing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:05:07 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:05:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By M1A4ME:
Speer makes the plastic bullets. In 38/357 they make bullets and cases (that use a large pistol primer). In .45 they just make the bullets and you have to use the brass cases.

Great for indoor or short range practice. When we used them we just hung a sheet up behind the targets and the bullets would just hit the sheet and fall to the floor where we would pick them up and use them again, over and over.

Folks need to realize they just because they would never do something that doesn't make it unsafe, illegal, stupid, etc. for the folks who want to learn how to do it. That's the attidude of the gun grabbers - no one needs those kind of guns, they should be outlawed.

Good luck with the glue thing.

Big +1
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:09:58 AM EST
Related topic.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=20&t=78057
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:27:43 AM EST
Oh good grief. The OP didn't say he was going to be careless with the glue bullets and forget all standard gun safety rules.

I've got a bag full of wax bullets for my .45 Colt. They're fun to shoot in the back yard (provided you live out of city limits) and there's nothing wrong with shooting them. They're dirty as hell to shoot but that's no big deal.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:55:29 AM EST
X-Ring Rubber Bullets are a bunch of fun in my .38spl and can be reused many times. I've also heard about using paraffin wax. A bit messy though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:56:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/12/2009 7:04:01 AM EST by joedapro]

Mike

Mike

Mike

please familiarize yourself with nra publication entitled "handloading" written by william c. davis, jr. published 1981. specifically check page 112 under the 1/3 page article on making and using wax bullets. good article on how to do it. recommends this to use with new shooters who are less than comfortable with guns, or in your basement. he says they are very accurate to 35 feet.

joe
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:22:37 AM EST
I wanna play with glue stick bullets in my 45LC.

Why?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:23:03 AM EST

Mike

Look in the speer load book. They talk specifically about their plastic bullets.

Dont be such a wimp.
No one is advocating filling the case full of Red Dot and stuffing a huge bullet over it. If you dont have any actual experience with what we are talking about here go away.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:24:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mike_Mills:
I wanna play with glue stick bullets in my 45LC.

Why?

Why not? Practice with visible results? Cheap shooting? Nice quiet varmint round?

I am sure the OP can give more reasons.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:32:07 AM EST
It seems the OP would save money by investing in an airsoft 1911. They look very realistic and you can paint over the orange muzzle. These launch boolits at what? 350 FPS. Progressive police departments, security firms, etc. are using airsoft now for practice and drills saving money on ammo. Be sure and wear safety goggles to keep from shooting your little brother's eyes out. Not near as messy as glue, but you do lose the advantage of being able to reattach your fingers with a readily available source of adhesive.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:40:08 AM EST
Practice with wax bullets gets you trigger time, helps eliminate flinching, can help with sight alignment, and is CHEAP. It costs one primer per shot, and the wax can be reused time and time again. Anyone who thinks this isn't a useful practice might do well to consult "The ABCs of Reloading", 4th Edition, by Dean Grinnell. He has a whole chapter on it, and how it can be an extremely useful practice. He stresses how to do it right and how to do it safely, including such things as backstop construction.

I'd go with wax instead of hot glue; wax is softer and easier to work with. And it's easier to work with wax without burning yourself, since it softens at a much lower temperature. Find cake wax in the "canning" section of your local supermarket for not much money. If you must use hot glue sticks, find sticks that are as close to the barrel's ID as possible to start with, that way you can just use a hot knife to slice off slugs. Otherwise, you're stuck with melting the stuff and pouring it into molds. It's much easier to just warm a case mouth then push the case down into a slab of wax...
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:41:26 AM EST
"You'll shoot your eye out, Kid."
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:53:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By GHPorter:
Practice with wax bullets gets you trigger time, helps eliminate flinching, can help with sight alignment, and is CHEAP. It costs one primer per shot, and the wax can be reused time and time again. Anyone who thinks this isn't a useful practice might do well to consult "The ABCs of Reloading", 4th Edition, by Dean Grinnell. He has a whole chapter on it, and how it can be an extremely useful practice. He stresses how to do it right and how to do it safely, including such things as backstop construction.

I'd go with wax instead of hot glue; wax is softer and easier to work with. And it's easier to work with wax without burning yourself, since it softens at a much lower temperature. Find cake wax in the "canning" section of your local supermarket for not much money. If you must use hot glue sticks, find sticks that are as close to the barrel's ID as possible to start with, that way you can just use a hot knife to slice off slugs. Otherwise, you're stuck with melting the stuff and pouring it into molds. It's much easier to just warm a case mouth then push the case down into a slab of wax...

And I will argue that after making a few dozen glue bullets it is much easier to use the glue. Just pick them up and stuff 'em into a waitnig case. Cant do that with the wax.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:41:34 PM EST
My reason is I can't shoot a normal load where I live. I can make an adequate backstop and use these for cheap practice after marking my brass so I can't mix it up. I'm gonna clean my gun after I'm done shooting them just like I do with regular bullets. I don't have to worry about obstructions or buildup that way. I'm planning on having TONS of safe fun with this and don't really care what others think about me. It will also get my wife more trigger time as well, which is good. If it works well, I'm gonna do it with my .38SPL as well. I will probably look into the Speer bullets for it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:43:50 PM EST

Actually, you just cut off slugs. They end up like wadcutters. But I have dies and I may eventually try casting a few, but I'd have to get some release agent first. Maybe cooking spray, dillon case lube or Hornady Oneshot.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:54:22 PM EST

Actually, you just cut off slugs. They end up like wadcutters. But I have dies and I may eventually try casting a few, but I'd have to get some release agent first. Maybe cooking spray, dillon case lube or Hornady Oneshot.

None needed. Promise.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:57:32 PM EST
I'll just probably end up buying these. I guess the naysayers will still say its unsafe even though these are made by a reloading company.-

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=361904

I'm gonna get these and use them in my .38 and my wifes 9mm.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=315781
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:11:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/12/2009 2:12:18 PM EST by Andrewh]
quick draw uses wax bullets all the time.
I have a couple of sets of 45 lc cases with the primer pocket drilled out in a step so it will hold a shotgun primer.

http://www.gunfighter.com/waxbullets/

25 bucks per thousand. Shipped.
I think it is a better deal than your glue sticks. But I could be wrong.

Plus you can buy the molds and reuse them if you pick them up.

The cases are better because the primers just drop out and you pop new ones in. No reloading gear needed to punch out and press in new primers.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:36:15 PM EST
OBVIOUSLY... We need to outlaw wax and glue NOW!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:38:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/12/2009 4:40:01 PM EST by BgrayD]
Double Post
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:30:47 PM EST
That dude needs to get a life. If he thinks firing a hot glue bullet is going to blow up a gun he needs to let go of the crack pipe. If thereis a buildup in the barrel and you fire then yeah bad things happen.
I mold hot glue bullets quite often. I shoot in my basement with them and they are a lot fun, you get to use the real deal to practice. No press need to load or anything. Making the bullets can go through some glue though. I just use the hot glue gun to force the melted material in and presto good to go.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:05:18 AM EST
Ok, range report. I casted Gluelits for .44, .45 .38 and 9mm. HOLY SMOKES! These things are just a dirty amount of fun! I used my lead molds and no release agent needed. Just squirt it in and let it cool for a min and poof! Gluelit. I just gotta get my technique down pat, bullet forms perfectly, but I get a small air bubble in the rear. Doesn't seem to affect the shots at all.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:31:24 AM EST
Very cool. Must go buy hobby supplies and Lyman mold now.....

Why are some people so angry about experimentation?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:28:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By lokifox:

I'm not angry. I just want to know why one would do this, as opposed to using a 22 rimfire.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:52:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2009 8:53:35 AM EST by d_striker]
Originally Posted By Mike_Mills:
Originally Posted By lokifox:

I'm not angry. I just want to know why one would do this, as opposed to using a 22 rimfire.

1.) I'm not going to fire .22 in my basement or garage.

2.) I have a replica airsoft of one of of my actual pistols. The trigger is drastically different and the gun itself is about a pound lighter than the actual gun.

3.) Glue/wax/plastic bullets shot in my basement allow actual trigger time in my basement. It's great trigger practice on the actual guns that you already use.

4.) You did SEEM a little angry in your first post.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:44:31 AM EST

You can find hot glue sticks in the right diameters? That would be cool. The only ones I've seen around are either about .25" or .375" in diameter...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:50:52 AM EST

Ok, range report. I casted Gluelits for .44, .45 .38 and 9mm. HOLY SMOKES! These things are just a dirty amount of fun! I used my lead molds and no release agent needed. Just squirt it in and let it cool for a min and poof! Gluelit. I just gotta get my technique down pat, bullet forms perfectly, but I get a small air bubble in the rear. Doesn't seem to affect the shots at all.

Told ya you wouldnt need a realease agent.

The air bubble is created by the sprue plate on the mold. To get rid of it try force feeding the glue into the mold (Helps to preheat the mold).
The other option I found is to cast without the sprue plate on the mold and use a knife or scissors to cut the tail end. Either way worked for me.

Also, glue bullets/wad cutters can be cut from glue sticks. The hobby store has them in a .45 diameter sometimes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top