Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 11:09:15 PM EDT
how robust are glocks? is it true you can put 100,000 rounds through it without changing the slide and without having any problems? Is there a barrel I can get for the glock that will allow any kind of ammo?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:26:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Glock 19 and have shoot the following ammo through it.

Sellier & Bellot  (not much)
Winchester  (alot 100 round value packs)
CCI Blazer        (not much)
Pmc               (not much)
Speer Gold Dot    (personal defense ammo)

No problems so far no missfeeds,no failure to extract. I've had it for 2yrs. now . Just guessing about 15k rounds through it.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:50:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Yavapai Firearms Academy had a Glock 19 with over 120,000 documented rounds through it. The only thing ever replaced were springs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:02:08 AM EDT
[#3]
To shoot unjacketed bullets buy a barrel from Brownells.  I bought the Federal barrel for my G22 and have had good experience with it.  I have since found that it is cheaper to buy Wolf, than reloads (.40 S&W), since I re-installed the original barrel.  

I have found, not much go wrong with Glocks.  My G22 was a refurbed police trade in.  I do not know how many rounds it has fired, but functions well.  

OSA
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Every gun is going to be different but for the most Glock's do have a great reputation for reliability. You can't go wrong with a Glock IMO.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a G30 with about 2000 rounds of CCI Blazer without a single malfunction.  I've also got about 250 rounds of 185 gr silver tip ammo through it from my carry ammo stash.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I was told Glocks could not shoot lead ammo because of the polygonal design of it's barrel. It lead to build up of lead inside the barrel and excessive pressure which ultimate lead to kB.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was told Glocks could not shoot lead ammo because of the polygonal design of it's barrel. It lead to build up of lead inside the barrel and excessive pressure which ultimate lead to kB.

Yes this is the case, but some people still do shoot lead ammunition throught their Glocks and keep up with the necessary cleaning. In the past when I shot lead through my .40's I would just load every 4th round with a FMJ to help cut out some of the lead. It was fine for cheap practice, luckily Wolf came out and it made the .40 more affordable to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Lead is no problem. I clean before I shoot jacketed ammo again. So far 100,000+ rounds down the tube no parts replaced!

almost no finish left on the slide, sorry about the pic size haveing a lazy moment

Cruizer
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I put 5,000 plus rounds of lead down the pipe of my G24 before I traded it -- no problems.  Just have to clean every 200 or so rounds.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#10]
The late Gale McMillan commented that they used polygon rifled barrels on some of their rifles. When lapping them with a lead lap sometimes the lap would become so wedged in the bore that it would have to be melted out. Lead and polygon rifling don't mix. I shot thousands of rounds of lead through my Glock 35 with a KKM barrel. I've seen 3 KBs in which lead was being shot through Glock 22s. All of them were using factory barrels.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:39:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I've fired and owned various handguns over the past 38 years.  I was reluctant to buy a Glock when they first came out.

But...I have had my Glock 23 for the past 4 years and I am truly amaized on its reliability and the different ammo that I've put though it without any malfunctions.

Rambosky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top