Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2009 10:02:07 AM EDT
I do not own a Glock but I do have a bunch of once fired 40 and 9mm brass that were fired in Glocks. I understand the issue with the "bulge" on 40 brass that were fired in Glocks. Is there a similar issue when it comes to 9mm?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I find the 9mm brass is less problematic, but it does still bulge somewhat. I found that my original Dillon sizing die would not resize adequately I switched to a Lee sizing die and now the rounds size much better. I still run all my loaded rounds through an ammo gage just to be sure, and even then I find that about 10% of my 9mm ammo fails the gage (still runs OK in my Glock though ).
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I have not purchased a 9mm die set yet but am getting myself some for Christmas. All my current dies are RCBS or Lee. I was considering getting Hornady this time. If anyone has direct experience with an issue there (related to once fired brass from a Glock), I would like to hear about it as well.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I reload range pickups for my pistols almost exclusively, lots are fired from glocks,  the beretta, h&k, and glocks don't care.  I use my Dillon dies if it matters.  

As always YMMV
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I just load 'em up with my Dillon press/dies as well. No problems.

I do case gauge, and have 5-10% that don't pass, but they ALL still fire in my Sigs and CZs. As an experiment I kept a pile of brass from rounds that didn't pass case gauge (shot through a CZ) and reloaded them. I had maybe 1% that wouldn't pass case gauge when reloaded - a lower percentage than random mixed brass.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#5]
No problems at all using RCBS 9MM dies shooting various brass, mostly Win, in two Glock 19's and a Kel-Tec carbine. Don't know about .40SW but 9MM shows no bulging and no problems. While you don't want hard contact with a carbide sizing die and the shell holder, may crack the carbide ring, I adjust my RCBS sizing die down to almost touching the shellholder.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I do not own a Glock but I do have a bunch of once fired 40 and 9mm brass that were fired in Glocks. I understand the issue with the "bulge" on 40 brass that were fired in Glocks. Is there a similar issue when it comes to 9mm?

There's no "issue" with either.  I reload for my Glocks in 9mm and .40, they all resize just fine with my RCBS Carbide dies.

For those who can't get a full resize with their particular setup, the EGW "U" die seems to do the trick.

Not too big of a problem though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I load 9mm with Hornady dies single stage, and with a Square Deal (Dillon dies) progressive.

I had a 5 gallon bucket of Win range brass when I started loading 9mm.

Many of these cases have the Glock primer hit.

I haven't had any sizing problems, and no problems with a bulged case.

I put every loaded round thru a Dillon case gauge.

Here is a link to a thread about loading 9mm on a SDB.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Just get the EGW (Evolution Gun Works)  U-die and end your problems before they start.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have not purchased a 9mm die set yet but am getting myself some for Christmas. All my current dies are RCBS or Lee. I was considering getting Hornady this time. If anyone has direct experience with an issue there (related to once fired brass from a Glock), I would like to hear about it as well.

I shoot my 9mm out of glocks, sigs, and occasionally a S&W 5904(not mine).  I normally use Lee or Hornady 9mm dies.  I also get a brass supply that is fired mostly out of glocks.  I have never noticed any problems in my reloads for glocks.   Years back I had a snug round in a S&W and it caused me to invest in a case gauge.  I have noticed some brass after resizing doesn't fit the case gauge, but will chamber in the Glocks and sigs without a problem.  Upon closer examination, the brass seems to expant a little more near the base and the die just didn't get down that far.  Yes, I do know how to adjust my dies.  This is  not the buldge as seen in the original .40 cal Glock models.  It was explained to me the the loose chamber helps prevent feed problems thus less chance for a jam....I can understand that.  After a while I found myself recycling more brass out of spec, than saving.  I recently invested in a Casepro 100 which solved my problem.  I have heard the EGW die works excellent, but I have no experience with it.  I mostly use Hornady 9mm die for 9mm...no particular reason, just changed them.  I think lee is an excellent die as well as I still use them for other calibers.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I currently use a chamber guage for all my reloads and would expect to do so with 9mm. Seems like there is no real issue with once fired 9mm from Glocks.

Thanks for all the input.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just get the EGW (Evolution Gun Works)  U-die and end your problems before they start.

Ditto

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top