Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2014 1:38:59 PM EDT
Hello people, I recently picked up a Glock 42, and I'm in the process of working up a load that works, and I'm having a hell of a time. So far I've tried 6 gr of Blue Dot ( which performed the worst with tons of unburned powder) , 3.5 gr of Win 231, 4 gr of Unique and 4.6 gr of AA#5, and all loads are still causing stovepipes, and feed failures. The bullets I'm using are Sierra 90 gr HP's, but plan on moving over to 90 gr ball bullets as soon as I use this lot up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to stiffen up my load, or perhaps a different powder? Out of the lot that I used, the Win 231 and AA#5 were close, but not 100% . What are you guts using that seems to work flawless?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you new to reloading? Don't just load up one charge weight then say the powder doesn't work good. You need to ladder load and find something that works. Power pistol is still my favorite powder.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Not at all, most of those loads are at the top of their load charts, and they still seem a little weak in power.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have reloaded other rounds, although not .380.  However given the very small case and short barrel, those all seem like powders that would be awfully slow burning for this application.  What about Titegroup or Bullseye?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]
How has the gun performed for you with factory ammo?  I'm only asking because I shoot with a high grip and and i had to adjust my grip.  If my thumbs were on the slide it wouldn't cycle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#6]
231 is an excellent powder for the .380. Until you Glock is broken a little, the loads are going to need to be a little warmer. What COAL are you currently loading to?

Suggest trying  the 100 grain Berry's  bullet and 231.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been using W231 in my .380 reloads for over 25 years.  I tried a bunch of other powders when I started out, but nothing worked as good the 231.  Plus W231 is also great in 9mm & .38spcl.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hello people, I recently picked up a Glock 42, and I'm in the process of working up a load that works, and I'm having a hell of a time. So far I've tried 6 gr of Blue Dot ( which performed the worst with tons of unburned powder) , 3.5 gr of Win 231, 4 gr of Unique and 4.6 gr of AA#5, and all loads are still causing stovepipes, and feed failures. The bullets I'm using are Sierra 90 gr HP's, but plan on moving over to 90 gr ball bullets as soon as I use this lot up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to stiffen up my load, or perhaps a different powder? Out of the lot that I used, the Win 231 and AA#5 were close, but not 100% . What are you guts using that seems to work flawless?
View Quote

How do non self defense factory loads run in the gun? Like American Eagle or wwb or similar?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm one of few who have posted a 380 ACP reload video using bullseye--have one with berrys 100 gr and 95 gr lead. See link below.... Best of luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2frJQ2UoBU
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How do non self defense factory loads run in the gun? Like American Eagle or wwb or similar?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Factory ammo such as Winchester WB work amazing well. I've also tried Tula as well, but even though most cases went bang every time, it still wasn't as reliable as the WB.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
231 is an excellent powder for the .380. Until you Glock is broken a little, the loads are going to need to be a little warmer. What COAL are you currently loading to?

View Quote

I am running 90 grain Sierra hollow points at the moment, I have about 200 bullets left to load, and then I plan on switching over to ball.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Using Winchester 231 with a 90 grain bullet, what powder charge have you found that works best for you and your Glock 42?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#13]
For the 42 with a short barrel and stiff action when new, I have had great luck with the following so far:  titegroup, bullseye, aa#2....the 42 seems to like faster burning powders in my experience.  Out of those I think i liked the load with titegroup and 100gr LRN the most...
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use Berry's 100 FBRN in my Glock 42.  All COAL's @.980" using CCI 500 primers.  Brass doesn't matter.

4.3 Power Pistol (865 fps)
3.2 HP 38 (783 fps)
3.0 Bulllseye (not great, cycles, but inconsistent lock back on empty) (834 fps)

All of these are .1 below Hornady max.  The 42 is a tight gun and seems a little more finicky than most Glocks.  I tried a number of work ups to get to these loads and it took until close to max listed to get it to cycle.  I noticed it is a fine line between non cycling and cycling/lock back.

I tried Universal, too, but at 3.3 (max is 3.4) it still didn't lock back.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top