Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2004 11:02:32 AM EDT
Do you have to galssbed a synthetic stock?  I would think that the synthetic would not have the same problem as the wood.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a standard GI synthetic, NO. An M21, yes.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a couple of reasons to consider glassbedding a GI fiberglass stock.  First, although most newer stocks fit most receivers well, some do not.  I have seen GI fiberglass stocks with fore and aft slop at the receiver legs, and also with poor triggerguard lockup tension.  Another reason to consider glassing is not for bedding, but for stiffening of the forend.  If you compare torsional rigidity of the forends of even a standard weight GI wood stock versus a GI glass stock (hold/stabliize the stock, no receiver and barrel, with one hand against your body and torque the forend with the other), you will probably think that the glass stock is a little whippy up front compared to the wood.  It's easy enough to fix, takes quite a bit of bedding material and attention paid to gas cylinder and op rod guide clearances.  Some people use glass cloth in addition to acraglas, also some use aluminum channel or steel rods.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Where do you get a GI synthetic stock?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Where do you get a GI synthetic stock?

Fred's
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:31:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not a standard GI synthetic, NO. An M21, yes.

I've done it....turned out SWEET.  Many, many rounds through my M1A Scout Squad with ZERO issues....
       but I am a savant when it comes to glass.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top