Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/23/2006 4:45:57 PM EST
Folks: I never used ghost ring sights. Are they worth while getting? I am putting together a tactical shotgun and was just planning to use a bead sight and put a tru glow fiber dot in front of the bead. Are the worth the cost?
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:50:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2006 4:50:59 PM EST by Karl_Withakay]
I'm not a huge fan of ghost ring sights, but I don't have a whole lot of experience with them either. They do seem to be the preferred sight for a tactical shotty these days.

My Benelli M1S90 tactical has rifle sights, which I like. That's a third option you could consider.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:56:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By Tyger2:
Folks: I never used ghost ring sights. Are they worth while getting? I am putting together a tactical shotgun and was just planning to use a bead sight and put a tru glow fiber dot in front of the bead. Are the worth the cost?

I had the same issue a while ago... and finally went with the scattergun/Wilsons ghost rings. Now I can hit 8" steel round targets at 100 yds with slugs. I have a Rem 870 express 18" and couldnt been happier!

If you just want to increase pointability get the XM Big Dot, but if you want a trully versatile shotgun get the ghost rings.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:00:27 PM EST
Ghost rings aren't really that useful unless you're shooting slugs at a distance.

If you're shooting buckshot or slugs at shorter ranges, ghost rings may actually slow you up.

Totally personal preference.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:15:21 PM EST
As stated. If you shoot slugs Ghost Rings are the way to go. If you are buckshot only, don't bother.

I have qualified perfect with bead and with Ghost Rings.

For Buckshot Ghost Rings can slow you down.

If you want Ghost Rings, check out MMC. I purchased mine from them and they even installed them for me and re-blued the barrel. They are more durable than the Scattergun Technologies sights.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 6:06:19 PM EST
I just went to a Marbles tritium bead on my Mossberg 590A1 and have been quite happy. I had a small Marbles fibre optic before that. My shotgun is for buckshot, slugs, night time use for hogs, self defense. As these guys have stated, ghost rings and such do nothing but slow things down for me and snag on something. I don't shoot slugs any better with ghost rings, just slower. Lots of people talk about 100 yd slugs, but that's not enough of reality to lose the speed that you get with a tritium bead ;)
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 6:13:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By Karl_Withakay:
My Benelli M1S90 tactical has rifle sights, which I like. That's a third option you could consider.

+1
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:55:52 PM EST

IMHO K.I.S.S. Meprolight tritium bead. For $25 it is hard to beat, spend the money you save on practice ammo.
No problems getting in and out of the car since it does not hang on anything.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:04:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By pickwickdamcop:
kimberamerica.com/cart/images/ML_34045.jpg
IMHO K.I.S.S. Meprolight tritium bead. For $25 it is hard to beat, spend the money you save on practice ammo.
No problems getting in and out of the car since it does not hang on anything.

Buddabing and a +1. That's what I've got on my plain jane KISS 590A1 18.5. Couldn't be happier and big +10 for "spend the money you save on practice ammo". A shotgun is NOT a rifle and NOT a 100 yd tool. If you are planning on using a shotgun at 100 yds you've grabbed the wrong tool and are trying to drive nails with a wrench.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:12:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By Terrato:

Originally Posted By Karl_Withakay:

+1
+2

I can shoot alot better with rifle sights than with a bead. Birdshot, buckshot, and slugs.

I've never used ghost rings.
Top Top