Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 7:20:25 PM EDT
What do you guys think of them?   Are they cheap?  I am a newbie to this old stuff.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I don't know where you could find one, but I saw one years ago at a gun show that was in beautiful shape with the scope mounted. Price was either $2000 or $2500, I don't remember which. They are very expensive, even for beaters.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
www.sturmgewher.com
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Germany, 1943
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
so much for that.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#5]
they come up time to time on gunbroker, but maybe only a few times a year.  A real gem was sold not long ago, think it was a G43 with the sniper scope.  We had a thread on it here, I couldn't look at it, made me druel too much.

the newest edition of Guns and Ammo magazine has a Surplus special edition issue and has a 3 page article on the Gewehr 43, check it out if you can.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#6]
A dealer friend near me has a few...I could inquire if you're serious about one.

They're pricey, and fragile, but if you're intent on owning one they certainly hold their value.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A dealer friend near me has a few...I could inquire if you're serious about one.

They're pricey, and fragile, but if you're intent on owning one they certainly hold their value.

Thanks but no.  They are a bit out of my price range, I could just get an AR or 91 instead.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks but no.  They are a bit out of my price range, I could just get an AR or 91 instead.  

Well, then I don't mind telling you wise choice. The Gewehr43 is nothing to get your panties wet over. Clunky, crudely made, and no Garand by any stretch of the imagination. It's a bigger SKS, and that's about as neat as you'll find it....IMHO.

I have owned and shot them, and have no desire to overpay for one ever again....from a shooter's standpoint.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#9]
or you can just wait until the PC and XBOX game, SNIPER ELITE comes out in a few weeks.  It puts you into the 1st person shoes of a German sniper in Berlin '45, I think from the screenshots shown you're armed with a G43  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I am a PC gamer.  Call of Duty 2 should be great.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am a PC gamer.  Call of Duty 2 should be great.  

yeah I'm gonna check that one out as well, the first was just awesome.

but check out that sniper elite game if you can.

-mm
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw 2 or three on gunbroker and auctionarms a week or so ago.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Saw one at an auction just last night. It went for $1800 give or take a bit
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought mine after I got back from Iraq it has an original scope, it shoots great accuracy is not as good as you would expect,  If for some insane reason you do plan to shoot it alot get a shooters kit this will help it function with modern ammo and not break

Also WW2 Late war german scopes are sensitve so do not shoot the rifle with the scope on it.  You could hurt a very expensive investment.  On a PU for a Mosin go for it but not a rarer nazi marked scope.

Also if you got the cash for a G-43 you need a SVT 40 Tokarev and a Garand.  

Gun broker is the best bet
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#15]
If you get just the rifle, depending on it's condition, maker, markings, if it's a G43 or a K43, you'll pay anywhere from $2000 to $3500, maybe more if it's one with rare Waffenampts on it or something.

Real scope mounts are worth a small mint all by themselves. ZF-4 scopes are almost plentiful and they can be had for relativly inexpensive ($500-$600)...but an actual German WWII G43 scope mount is almost worth as much as a beater version of the rifle.

I lucked out and picked up a very good condition 1944 a block ac (Walther) G43 with real scope mount, and artic ZF-4 scope (the type that would have been used on the Eastern front) for $4k out the door. I didn't overpay, and it's probably worth more now.

I wouldn't recommend a G43/K43 as your first collectors-type rifle...start small and simple, things like Garands, 98k's, Arisakas, etc...finding a real matching K98k these days is more an exersize in patience than it used to be! (Not to mention much more expensive than it used to be..)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#16]
there is a store in town that has one in almost mint condition.  I think he wants $3500 for it.  Real nice blond wood.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
there is a store in town that has one in almost mint condition.  I think he wants $3500 for it.  Real nice blond wood.

Uhhh...   No.  If I had that kind of money I would buy an AR with ACOG, HK P2000, and new glass for my .300!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#18]
this guy has a sweet collection, I count 7 G43 snipers....

www.dragunov.net/frenchy.htm
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

He is a good friend of mine...He is a Vietnam Marine Vet....pretty highly decorated. He brought back a Dragunov and 91/30 Snipers from there.

He has some great photo albums....lots of dead VC and NVA....

Really a good guy, and interesting to talk to. And what a gun collection!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhh...   No.  If I had that kind of money I would buy an AR with ACOG, HK P2000, and new glass for my .300!  

scraight up!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is a good friend of mine...He is a Vietnam Marine Vet....pretty highly decorated. He brought back a Dragunov and 91/30 Snipers from there.

He has some great photo albums....lots of dead VC and NVA....

Really a good guy, and interesting to talk to. And what a gun collection!

[Homer]G43's........aaggghhhh........[/Homer]

that would be me at your friends house, he'd need a restraining order for his gun safes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, its great stuff....hopefully I will talk him into selling me a G43...I don't even care if it doesn't have a scope, but it would be nice.

I won't be free, but I know the price will be fair...and I really need one. And a G33/40...and a G24t...oh and an FG-42...and a G41...both (M) and (W)....thats not asking too much is it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I understand alot have been recovered from in all places  afganistan and iraq. Aprently  some arms brokering was going on they came thru a czech dealer as equal to AK 47's. They were probably recoverd off of dead bodies during WW2 eastern front and put iinto a barn storage or basement and then 60 years later turn up being used against us again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top