Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2012 7:19:03 AM EDT
I already spent my allowance from this paycheck. My next purchase is going to be a tumbler and I need some guidance. I'm currently reloading .45 ACP and will start 9mm this week when my Midway order gets here. I have also taken up casting my own .45s, which will start this weekend. I have about $100 (give or take) to use and I shoot 2 competitions a month with the occassional range session to test and verify loads.

I need some help in choosing a tumber since I'm not really sure what I need to be looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 7:39:05 AM EDT
this is a great value tumbler. lot of good review and priced well

http://www.cabelas.com/tumblers-scales-cabelas-case-tumbler-kit-1.shtml
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 7:40:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2012 7:41:23 AM EDT by GlutealCleft]
I bought a Cabela's tumbler kit when it was on a good sale, and it's done fine for many thousands of rounds, including being left on all night, being run in a VERY hot garage in the summer, etc..

The kit from Cabela's is nice because it gives you a separator and polish, but their separator is... slow and tedious. You'll find yourself wanting a rotary in no time. Cabela's currently has their rotary separator on sale, so $100 should get you the 400 tumbler, the rotary separator, a bag of corncob, and a bottle of Nu Finish from Walmart.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 7:48:21 AM EDT
Hornady M-2 hands down.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 9:25:25 AM EDT
I run an RCBS vibratory.

Only piece of advice is not to tumble alot of mixed brass together or you will be spending LOTS
of time pulling 9mm's out of 40 S&W or 45 ACP....and spilling walnut all over the place.

Ask me how I know......

Use dryer sheets in there too to keep the dust down
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 9:57:50 AM EDT
I have and love the Frankfort Arsenal tumbler. I've probably tumbled 40,000 rounds through it and (knocking on wood) it still runs like a champ
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 10:04:53 AM EDT
The Dillon vibratory tumblers are also good. I have one that I have bene using for about 15 years,and still going strong.

Basically, any of the major brands (Orange, Blue, Green) will have a good tumbler. The vibratory ones are the best, IMHO. The rotary ones are... inexpensive. Don't get one, because shortly after you do you will start to want something esle.

When you have some additionl money to spend, get one of the rotary media seperators. Once you use one you will understand why you got it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 10:32:39 AM EDT
I was looking at the FA combo deal that Midway is running right now, but it has gotten absolute shit for reviews lately. Looks like the Lyman 1200 will be the way to go and Lyman rotary case and media seperator with it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:28:07 AM EDT
Back in the mid 1970s I bought a Lyman

15 or so years down the line it started making funny noises and a couple of weeks later
I saw another Lyman on sale so I bought it

Both have been running fine ever since and I have lots of hours on them.

I would be surprised if any of the tumblers are actually made by the company's name that gets painted
on the outside . heck,they likely all come out of two or three factories.

Buy whatever brand name is on sale and save the paperwork.

The tumbler you buy today is likely made by a different factory than the same brand your buddy bought two years back so
brand loyalty doesn't mean much .

Does Dillon's lifetime warranty cover their tumblers?
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 12:03:45 PM EDT
The media seperator setup with the FA is kinda weak, but the tumbler has been rock solid for me
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 5:53:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nick_75:
I was looking at the FA combo deal that Midway is running right now, but it has gotten absolute shit for reviews lately. Looks like the Lyman 1200 will be the way to go and Lyman rotary case and media seperator with it.

I bought that kit about 4 years ago. IT worked well until about two weeks ago when the tumbler died. However, the media separator works great. I just ended up replacing the tumbler with the Hornady M-2 and could NOT be happier!
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:19:14 AM EDT
My Lyman M1200 arrived yesterday. It's running about 200 pieces of .45 brass right now. It's louder than I anticipated, but that's not a big deal. I'll post pictures when I think they're clean.
Top Top