Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 3/8/2015 11:19:12 AM EDT
My Mossy 500 has been turned in to my hunting and GP gun.  Right now I have an 18.5 IC and a 28" Mod barrel for it that came with the gun.  Shooting slugs is a must and maybe other GP odd jobs, snakes, small birds et cetera. I narrowed it to a 24" IC barrel with rifle sights and a 20" VR with chokes.  I am partial to shorter barrels typically.  Easier for a short guy to deal with.  I knocked 1.5" off the stock for the same reason.  Which of these barrels would be a better all around barrel?  If I went with the VR I would probably mount tru glo sights on it for the slugs.  

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/819612/mossberg-barrel-mossberg-500-12-gauge-3-24-cylinder-bore-with-rifle-sights-ported-steel-blue?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1843155347/mossberg-barrel-mossberg-500-12-gauge-3-full-modified-improved-chokes-vent-rib-blue

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:27:19 AM EDT
As a 500 owner myself I would say if there is any chance in hell that you would be shooting anything other than buck or slugs through it then get an interchangeable choke barrel. I say that because the first link had a fixed choke barrel.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:28:40 PM EDT
I have the 20 in vr with chokes.

I love it.  

I hunt a bit and use it for HD.  I shot slugs really good at 25yds. And destroyed 2l bottles at 50 with just the double beads.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:34:27 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the 20 in vr with chokes.

I love it.  

I hunt a bit and use it for HD.  I shot slugs really good at 25yds. And destroyed 2l bottles at 50 with just the double beads.

View Quote

yes. the 20 inch with screw in chokes. mine is a camo turkey 20 inch, vent rib, screw in choke model. I believe you could get a extened carlson rifled choke tube also if needed?

it is light and handy. you might be able to find the whole shotgun used for a little more than a new barrel would run. I know I gave less than 200.00 for mine about 3 years back and I don't think whoever owned shot more than a couple rounds through it.
Top Top