Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2002 7:03:29 PM EDT
I am thinking of getting a night vision scope for my AR. It will be mainly for predator hunting. Will I be happy with a $500 Gen I scope? is this acceptable out to 100 yds or so? What is the best bang for buck in night vision scopes.

Also, general night vision scope advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I recently went through the same deal.  I ended up getting a Gen1 unit from www.Rigeloptics.com  I've been pretty pleased so far.  I use mine for the same things that you plan.  I did a short review on it a while back, it'll be in the search function under the optics section.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#2]
gunnutt obviously will see this differently but I just don't want technology that goes back to  Vietnam.
And that's what Gen I is.

At this time the 7th post below yours "Question Night Vision Scopes" by Jack 1124 contains a decent amount of boring info about night scopes in general.
(It's my info that's boring .)
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I own a Gen II scope.  I recently purchase a Gen I binocular.  After seeing the difference back to back, I sent the Gen I back.  Compared to Gen II, it is terrible.  I guess it is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:38:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a USNV D-141 1st Gen rifle scope and it was acceptable for coyotes and foxes out to about 100yds, it certainly was capable of doing that job.  I currently use the 2nd Gen D-241 yes it's a better scope, but the price doubles.  If money was tight I'd go the 141 route.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I had a USNV D-141 1st Gen rifle scope and it was acceptable for coyotes and foxes out to about 100yds, it certainly was capable of doing that job.  I currently use the 2nd Gen D-241 yes it's a better scope, but the price doubles.  If money was tight I'd go the 141 route.

Yep, that was my thought too.  I needed something to take out the occasional coyote. (I got two Shorthairs that are a little naive )
What I got works fine for my needs.  Hard to justify $1800.00 when you got a wife and 3 kids.  Others may need something different.....

Jim
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to agree that the D-141 is a nice little gen 1 and useful out to about 100yds.  It has an illuminator that helps at that range also.  I admit I am biased because I sell USNV products,  but honestly it is a nice little gen 1.  Very well made for the money,  and the image is quite good.  Not to say there are not others that may be as good, probably none any better,  but as I always tell guys,  check the warranty, the seller/company history, don't take it unless you get a 10 day satisfaction return, and at least a year warranty.  For what you want, if you want to spend under $600, then gen 1 (D-141 or perhaps some other) will work fine.  It won't be long until you want more if you use it much,  trust me.  It gets us all!! ;)
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a generation 1 night vision scope mounted on a bolt-action rifle about 5 years ago. It was from a reputable company, though I do not recall the name now. It was better than total darkness, but not by much. And the damn thing would not hold a zero for long. After a few shots, the point of impact would wander until I reset the zero. I tired of this rather quickly and returned it to the place of purchase for a full refund. If at all possible, try to hold out for a generation 2.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Unfortunately M4, you can run into the same problem with a gen 2, depending on who makes it, or a gen 3.  The quality of the sight itself is not related to tube quality or generation,  though there are tons of gen 1 weapon sights around now.  The thing is to ask lots of questions, get direct answers, take your time,  and always get that return guarantee, as you did.  Even the $6000+ Raptor gen 3 scopes that so many drool over have had reticle failures, and other problems and had to go back.   Hey if you can afford it, hold out for gen 2, or even better gen 3 from Litton, but there are many satisfied gen 1 users that really don't need or want more from their NV.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top