Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 5:08:56 AM EDT

Here are a few samples of what some cathodes may look like according to the cathode material, input window material and design. There are undoubtedly many others but these are the ones I have on hand to document.

GEN III Glass Input

GEN III Fiber Optic Input

Gen II Concave Fiber Optic Input

The appearance of a Gen II ESI cathode stands out and is fairly unique in it's appearance, mainly due to the concave shape of the fiber optic window, which is on the internal side of the window. This concave design tends to cause the cathode to look like the catseye nebula or helix nebula, see photo's below.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:33:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok I'm a dummy at all of this NV stuff, so....... what would you ahve to do to protect the tube for removal if you wanted to getthe #s off the side?

just a clean area with bear hands and regular light?
static free with gloves in dimmmly lit room?

does (white)light only hurt the cathode when it is powered?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:41:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Light won't hurt the cathode or tube so long as it's not powered up. Heat on the other hand will damage the cathode, regardless if it's powered on or not, so just don't take a magnifier to it while out in the sunlight. No need to use an anti static ground either.

A ultra fine grit sandpaper, polishing compound or the right solvent will sanitize the tube just fine. I like the ident numbers so it's never been needed on my end.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Light won't hurt the cathode or tube so long as it's not powered up. Heat on the other hand will damage the cathode, regardless if it's powered on or not, so just don't take a magnifier to it while out in the sunlight. No need to use an anti static ground either.

A ultra fine grit sandpaper, polishing compound or the right solvent will sanitize the tube just fine. I like the ident numbers so it's never been needed on my end.

LoL! I think he meant "Get the #s off" as in "Record them down so he knows what they are" and not "remove them".

Anyway, just take the batteries out and disassemble. What is the model of scope you are taking apart?

Regards

David

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Nait G2P 3x Viewer ? (outside visual and able to see IR laser came to this conclusion; but no markings on the outside of teh body have me wondering)

looking to confirm what I have before I use it mounted to a weapon.
I would hate to destroy a perfectly decent NV viewer

And yes I just want a record not sanitize the scope
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

LoL! I think he meant "Get the #s off" as in "Record them down so he knows what they are" and not "remove them".

Anyway, just take the batteries out and disassemble. What is the model of scope you are taking apart?

Regards
David

LMAO. Monkey with a Dremel tool works too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Well there you go, I thought it was a bit of a strange request.

My apologies RogueTrader for thinking you wanting to sanitize the tube when all you wanted was to record them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My apologies RogueTrader for thinking you wanting to sanitize the tube when all you wanted was to record them.

It's cool. Not the first thing I thought when I said it but, I can see how it would come across

Anyone have pointers for taking this type of tube apart could you IM so this thread stays on topic?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's cool. Not the first thing I thought when I said it but, I can see how it would come across

Anyone have pointers for taking this type of tube apart could you IM so this thread stays on topic?

Do you want to take the tube apart or just ID it properly? I take it it's in an AN/PVS-4?

I'll send you the manual in a PM.

Regards

David
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top